• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

finally watched mid90s with it being added to Prime Video. i didn't hate it, but i sorta think Hill mistook nostalgia for narrative

MacGruber : Okay, so once we take out the guards, Vicki will walk in dressed as Hoss, and then we'll just, you know, see what happens. You ready?
Lt. Dixon Piper : Wait. Wait, so we're just gonna wing it?
MacGruber : Piper, there's a big difference between winging it and seeing what happens. Now let's see what happens.

Lt. Dixon Piper: What is the plan?
MacGruber: Well, I kind of make it up as I go.
Lt. Dixon Piper: That's not really a plan then.
MacGruber: Okay, so it's not a plan. Look, I'm not good with plans. And I'm not good with clues. What I am good with is kicking ass and ripping throats.

Anyone else watch Deadwood the movie? I thought it was fun to see the characters again and thought it was entertaining enough. Clearly made just to satisfy Deadwood fans, kind of like Serenity was for Firefly, but definitely better.

Watched Ladies in Lavender last night, mainly because of the cast (Dench, Smith).

It was an interesting period piece (1936 English fishing village). Not terrible and worth watching, but I think it could have been so much better.

Anyone else watch Deadwood the movie? I thought it was fun to see the characters again and thought it was entertaining enough. Clearly made just to satisfy Deadwood fans, kind of like Serenity was for Firefly, but definitely better.

I thought it was as perfect as a concluding movie could be for a series a decade after it concluded (glaring at you Entourage movie). So many great call backs, including Garett Dillahunt's cameo making him one of the first people to play 3 different characters in a show, and the Heart will be forsaken in the credits was awesome too. Maybe it was nostalgia, or maybe it was just that awesome, but I very much enjoyed it.

Caught Kong: Skull island again. That's how you do a monster movie. Somehow has a ton of A-list actors (Tom Hiddleston, Sam Jackson, John Goodman, Brie Larson, John C. Reilly), it's campy and funny and doesn't take itself too seriously, it has the monsters battling during the day so you can tell what's going on, good CGI. I think it's much better than other recent monster movies that have come out, including any of the new Jurassic World, Godzilla (only saw the first), and Pacific Rim movies - not a super high bar, I know.

Give Ma a 7/10. Found it lacking in the horror element but there was pretty good comedy. Although, I'm not sure a lot of the laughter was intentional.

Mrs. Doubtfire has been in the cable rotation recently. Hot takes:

1. There's no way you could make that movie now
2. I used to identify with Robin Williams. He's just trying to have fun. Now that I'm old balls and have kids, I identify with Sally Field. She's trying to get home early to throw her kid a party and her fucktwat husband has a donkey inside the house. Fuck!
3. Robin Williams rapping about dinosaurs might be the most 90s thing ever
4. Pierce Brosnan did a great job of going against type for this one

I thought Pierce Brosnan played exactly to type but you just disliked him this time. His character name basically could’ve been James Bond or Thomas Crown.

Based on CantStandYa's post I probably would also be more sympathetic to Brosnan if I ever watch that movie again - he's a successful dude trying to get with a nice single mother and you got this annoying fucking nanny in his shit all the time (who is actually his lady's loser ex-husband)

Based on CantStandYa's post I probably would also be more sympathetic to Brosnan if I ever watch that movie again - he's a successful dude trying to get with a nice single mother and you got this annoying fucking nanny in his shit all the time (who is actually his lady's loser ex-husband)

Yeah, but he’s a country club guy, and you know how some around here feel about that.

Saw Booksmart last night. It was okay. The first two acts were pretty boring and not very funny. The last act was decent, but still not particularly funny.

Airplane movies this week...

Aquaman: Had zero expectations and enjoyed it a lot. Some cringe-worthy dialogue and it was obviously predictable throughout, but I liked the characters and the campy tone. WAY better than any of the other shit DC has put out, especially Wonder Woman, which sucked out loud (aside from the hotness of Gal Gadot).

Arctic: Always love watching movies about plane crashes (indirectly, at least) on an actual plane. Was kind of like Cast Away in snow, but without Wilson. Worth a plane watch.

Alphabetical order. I can respect that.

Alphabetical order. I can respect that.

Ha.

That's kind of true, actually.

I am working my way through the Delta library by first watching the movies I really wanted to see (short list), then by going through them A-Z and lowering my standards a bit with each go around.

I watched Margin Call yesterday which I had seen before. Something about being farther away from having my employment offer rescinded made it much more enjoyable.

Back