• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Aquaman: Had zero expectations and enjoyed it a lot. Some cringe-worthy dialogue and it was obviously predictable throughout, but I liked the characters and the campy tone. WAY better than any of the other shit DC has put out, especially Wonder Woman, which sucked out loud (aside from the hotness of Gal Gadot).

This is a take. I haven't seen Aqua Man yet, but I thought WW was way better than anything else DC has put out (post Nolan).

This is a take. I haven't seen Aqua Man yet, but I thought WW was way better than anything else DC has put out (post Nolan).

In fairness, though, did those movies even suck? That seems like too much praise for the Snyderverse.

I think maybe I wanted to like Wonder Woman, and was therefore disappointed. I liked Gal Gadot & Chris Pine, actually... I just thought the action scenes kind of sucked and the tone was all over the map. It was also long. Gal Gadot is crazy hot, but I didn't buy her in the action sequences.

With Aquaman, I figured it was going to suck. There were a lot of moments where I was like, "well this is dumb," but I enjoyed it for what it was. Thought Momoa was pretty good as Aquaman, which I guess is not a popular opinion.

I think maybe I wanted to like Wonder Woman, and was therefore disappointed. I liked Gal Gadot & Chris Pine, actually... I just thought the action scenes kind of sucked and the tone was all over the map. It was also long. Gal Gadot is crazy hot, but I didn't buy her in the action sequences.

With Aquaman, I figured it was going to suck. There were a lot of moments where I was like, "well this is dumb," but I enjoyed it for what it was. Thought Momoa was pretty good as Aquaman, which I guess is not a popular opinion.

I thought the casting of Momoa was near universally praised? Then again, I stay away from the dark corners of the internet, so maybe I'm out of touch.

I thought the casting of Momoa was near universally praised? Then again, I stay away from the dark corners of the internet, so maybe I'm out of touch.

No idea. I was just going off of what others on the boards said back in December/January when it first came out.

He's not a great actor, but I think he played it well.

Dark Phoenix is fucking awful.

I'm skipping it. Maybe when a friend of mine uploads it to Plex I'll watch it. Maybe.

ETA - I haven't commented on Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Like every entry in the series before it, it's a tale of two movies: the "Go Go Godzilla" part and the "humans doing stuff regarding Godzilla while you wait for more Godzilla" part. The former is pretty f-ing awesome. The latter... eh, ok I guess though I did spend a lot of time thinking "I don't care about this at all" for some character moments. Most of the kaiju scenes are indeed in the night and/or rain if the darkness is a problem for you. Boston haters will be pleased.

Last edited:
The Ringer had a good article about it yesterday - I don't know the story in the comics but it sounds pretty wild. Seems like it would take at least one movie (or a couple) to set it up, and these latest installments of the X-Men has not really paid any care to universe building

The Ringer had a good article about it yesterday - I don't know the story in the comics but it sounds pretty wild. Seems like it would take at least one movie (or a couple) to set it up, and these latest installments of the X-Men has not really paid any care to universe building

Fox just really sucks at this, it turns out. Two great X-Men flick (Days of Future Past and Logan), two good ones (X2 and First Class, imo), and a lot of missed opportunities.

Saw Rocketman last night. It was very good. Taron Egerton is going to be a star for a long time.

X-Men really should have ended with Days of Future Past. Or at least paused for a reboot after a few years. There wasn't much more to do with the existing characters at that point, at least from an ensemble point of view.

Breakdown (1997) w Kurt Russell

Awesome

Such a simple concept, slow burn, great acting, in a cool setting

it's no Overboard, where the most unbelievable part of the film about a woman getting knocked out and falling in love with her kidnapper is a guy pitching and getting investors on board to build a mini-golf course.

Re-watched School Ties for the first time in a long time. Still solid movie, but for the lengths that school went to uphold its honor code, they did nothing about someone putting up a swastika sign in a Jewish student's dorm room (I guess we assume no one in the administration was ever told, but still since the honor code was supposed to be upheld by the students so you'd think somebody would have done something)

Breakdown (1997) w Kurt Russell

Awesome

Such a simple concept, slow burn, great acting, in a cool setting

I saw that at the dollar theater my freshman year at Wake when I was on break... Was well worth the outlay. Surprisingly entertaining.

Bummer that JT Walsh died so young... He was really good in that role (and others).

One of my favorite movies scenes in my young life was Breakdown when Russell has rescued his wife and is putting JT Walsh into the underground cellar and Walsh turns to him and starts saying something like "Wherever you go I'll find.." and Russell just straight kicks him in the face

Secret Life of Pets 2 was pretty damn good. Not quite as good as the first one, but still a few laugh out loud moments.

Back