• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Saw Tom Cruise's "Edge of Tomorrow" and it was indeed much better than it probably should have been.

Saw three movies this weekend:

Gone Girl: entertaining, thrilling and a big mindfuck (I haven't read the book).
Grand Budapest Hotel: really enjoyed it, maybe my 2nd favorite Wes Anderson after Tenenbaums
Wolf of Wall Street: really entertaining and didn't feel at all like a 3 hour movie. Loved Jonah Hill. Wife absolutely hated it, but she hates antiheroes like Jordan Belfort, Walter White, and Frank Underwood.

The whole movie seemed like an effort by Scorsese and Leo to try to "shock" people, but that crap doesn't shock anyone anymore. As a result, it ended up feeling too long and too silly (i.e. the lude overdose scene). Liked Kyle Chandler and the French guy though.

Also, I wouldn't lump a real-life asshole like Belfort in with phenomenal fictional characters like the other two, but hey, broads are weird.

One movie I wanted to see last year that came and went really quietly was The Signal, with Lawrence Fishburne. Supposed to be similar in pace and tone to Under the Skin (so a lot of people hated it). Anyone catch that one?

Wife and I were thoroughly entertained by Jason Bateman in 'Bad Words' this weekend. Highly recommend.

The Drop is sposed to be good right? I think that is my next one.

I hated it. It's a Brooklyn movie for people who have never stepped foot in Brooklyn. Gandolfini is great because the dude was a powerhouse, but what a shitty note to go out on... Tom Hardy's accent is hilarious, though.

Haven't seen American Sniper... just finished the book, though. From reading everyone's discussion of the movie, it sounds like they did a good job in terms of just sticking to Chris Kyle's stories instead of trying to infuse some greater plot or war commentary that didn't exist in the book. Kyle makes it pretty clear that he viewed himself as a soldier with no stomach for politics. I can see how some folks will take issue w/ Kyle's strong pro-America stance and the way he dehumanizes the enemy, but the book doesn't try to justify the war... it is just Kyle (and at times, his wife) recounting his experiences.

Looking forward to seeing the movie.

One movie I wanted to see last year that came and went really quietly was The Signal, with Lawrence Fishburne. Supposed to be similar in pace and tone to Under the Skin (so a lot of people hated it). Anyone catch that one?
Under the Skin is on it's own level of weird, so I never would have made that connection, but Signal has some interesting stylistic choices. I liked the film, and the ideas it presented, but the ending felt sudden and unfinished. Had the screenplay been tightened up it could have been an impressive film, as is, it's just good.

Oh, and FWIW, the book is good... not great. It really is just 400+ pages of chronologically organized anecdotes about Navy SEAL training and fighting the war in Iraq. No real "greater point", I thought... just Chris Kyle, warts and all. But I enjoyed it.

Oh, and FWIW, the book is good... not great. It really is just 400+ pages of chronologically organized anecdotes about Navy SEAL training and fighting the war in Iraq. No real "greater point", I thought... just Chris Kyle, warts and all. But I enjoyed it.

I think the movie did a good job capturing the image that he definitely had some flaws but in the end you root for the guy because of his convictions and the fact that he is put in a difficult situation that somebody has to be put into. I didn't get the same unabashed patriotic political objective from Eastwood that RSF claims, but millennial commielib pussy is gonna millennial commielib pussy I guess. It didn't make me want to go out and gun down some ragheads while listening to Kid Rock, if that was the intended effect. But it does make you appreciate our servicemembers and their families, which isn't a bad thing.

Reactions: Go
Saw A Most Violent Year last night. I enjoyed it, but it starts off excruciatingly slow. The second half is really, really good, though.

Haven't seen American Sniper... just finished the book, though. From reading everyone's discussion of the movie, it sounds like they did a good job in terms of just sticking to Chris Kyle's stories instead of trying to infuse some greater plot or war commentary that didn't exist in the book. Kyle makes it pretty clear that he viewed himself as a soldier with no stomach for politics. I can see how some folks will take issue w/ Kyle's strong pro-America stance and the way he dehumanizes the enemy, but the book doesn't try to justify the war... it is just Kyle (and at times, his wife) recounting his experiences.

Looking forward to seeing the movie.

The book is pretty political. Not in long diatribes and not necessarily partisan, but lots of lines that are political.

Saw Annabelle, it was good. Would put Conjuring above it and Sinister below both.

Also watched Boyhood. Its an interesting movie, not sure outside of the gimmick why its an Academy nominated film. Hawke is good, but I have never understood the Arquette/Hollywood love.

Last night I watched Chilly Scenes of Winter, a 1979 movie based on the Ann Beattie book of the same name. John Heard was fantastic as was Mary Beth Hurt. They carry the movie, though Peter Riegert (Otter) is great as John Heard's friend/roommate.

Anyway, good scorned/unrequited love movie that holds up surprisingly well. It borders on campy or parody or whatever, but toes that line without crossing it and the performances pull it together. Kind of a cool cheesy late 70's score too, with Toots Thielemans jamming in the background, and a great little mini-scene involving Janis Joplin's version of "Get It While You Can," (Howard Tate's version is better).

"Janet, how can I get it if she won't come out of her A-frame?!"

I was surprisingly impressed as the other movie my buddy brought over recently with a similar theme, Modern Romance, didn't really survive the years as well.

Last night I watched Chilly Scenes of Winter, a 1979 movie based on the Ann Beattie book of the same name. John Heard was fantastic as was Mary Beth Hurt. They carry the movie, though Peter Riegert (Otter) is great as John Heard's friend/roommate.

Anyway, good scorned/unrequited love movie that holds up surprisingly well. It borders on campy or parody or whatever, but toes that line without crossing it and the performances pull it together. Kind of a cool cheesy late 70's score too, with Toots Thielemans jamming in the background, and a great little mini-scene involving Janis Joplin's version of "Get It While You Can," (Howard Tate's version is better).

"Janet, how can I get it if she won't come out of her A-frame?!"

I was surprisingly impressed as the other movie my buddy brought over recently with a similar theme, Modern Romance, didn't really survive the years as well.

Cult classic

Criterion just released their Don't Look Now, dvd. Ruskin, I'm sure you've seen it, but if anyone hasn't it is a creepy as fuck fantastic movie, with the most real, faithful representation of Venice that I remember seeing on film. Gets all the mystery and dark corners and echoing footsteps and mist down perfectly.

Criterion just released their Don't Look Now, dvd. Ruskin, I'm sure you've seen it, but if anyone hasn't it is a creepy as fuck fantastic movie, with the most real, faithful representation of Venice that I remember seeing on film. Gets all the mystery and dark corners and echoing footsteps and mist down perfectly.
I'm gonna pick up the bluray during the next Criterion sale. Watership Down just came out recently on Criterion bluray as well.

Roeg is one of my favorite directors, and I think this may be his masterpiece. Can't wait to see the Criterion blu-ray transfer.

In Bruges is a respectful homage to DLK

Back