• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Once upon a time is one of those movies that sits better the longer you reflect on it. It may be his best since Pulp. And it has a heart to it that he hasn’t shown since Jackie Brown.

Tarantino is the only modern director my parents can watch who will litter his script with F bombs and ultraviolence and they will still love the movie. They’re damn near 80 years old. They really dug once upon a time, and especially the ending.

I don’t think it was better than Inglorious Bastards but it was very very good. Brad Pitt and Leo were so good.

I agree. I think Inglorious Bastards was his best flick.

Although I'm not the biggest Tarrentino fan, the guys we played ball and I thanked him for several BBQs after our games that he donated all the food, beer and booze to create. One of our best players, Duke, is a union carpenter and set builder. He worked on several of Tarrention's films.

Apparently, Tarrentino's PA didn't know how order for the wrap party of Kill Bill. Duke showed up at the park with the bed of his truck filled with great food and booze. There was enough to last at least a month of Saturdays.

Thanks Q and your PA.

Richard Jewell is a pretty strong statement about what happens when law enforcement is under tremendous pressure to find someone who is responsible for a crime. Also something of an indictment of media doing anything to get a story. When those forces combine, innocent people get caught up in the feeding frenzy and persecuted (not prosecuted).

No one's really surprised that the FBI and the media are the bad guys in a Clint Eastwood movie, right?

I stumbled on that 15 to Paris or whatever and that was turrible

Saw Uncut Gems - went in expecting to love it, not sure why, it was good. Not great. Sandler was solid, KG was awesome.

I liked Marriage Story when it was called Blue Valentine

Saw Frozen 2 yesterday. It was OK. The improvement in animation from 1 was remarkable. The songs were fine; story was fine if not a little hackneyed. Not as good as the first one. My 3.5 yr old daughter dressed up as Elsa and thought it was the greatest movie ever.

Last edited:
Saw Knives Out. It was a classic whodunit but was probably twenty minutes too long.

Female lead Ana De Armas is going to be in the Bond movie in next year. She could become a big star.

During the previews, I saw the one for the Fox News movie starring Nicole Kidman, Charlieze Theron and Margot Robbie. The hook here is Lebron is an Executive Producer. That's two big movies with big names in the past month (The Good Liar with Helen Mirren and Ian McKellan). He just might own Hollywood by the time he's fifty.

In stupid action movie news, Jumani 3 was pretty good. If you liked the last one, you'll probably like this one. Awkwafina is an acquired taste so your opinion on her will probably play into how you like the movie.

Hustlers - zzzz. Jennifer Lopez still has it, but otherwise a waste of time.

Good Boys - just felt like a weird Superbad prequel, except not as funny.

Finally saw Frozen 2. Thought it was awful.

Did the Irishman in one go (with bathroom/snack/smoke breaks, so...). Dug it. Thought it was paced wonderfully considering its length. De-aging didn't bother me so much as it was sort of a hazy flashback/dream/recollection/nostalgia trip by Frank, so I bought it that way. By the way, definitely don't want to get old. Fuck.

Still need to get on that Marriage Story.

I just read Inherent Vice and was pumped for the movie, but I didn't love it

Phoenix's portrayal of Doc was way different than the character I built from the book and I just couldn't get past that

I did it in reverse (watched, then read), but loved them both. It is maybe my favorite movie of the 2010s.

Saw Ad Astra last night and thought it was pretty worthless. I really wouldn't waste two hours of your time on it.

Saw Ad Astra last night and thought it was pretty worthless. I really wouldn't waste two hours of your time on it.

Kind of suffers from false advertising. I think people went into it expecting 2 hours of lunar landing chases when that’s only about 2 minutes. As a film, it is shot and acted well, but it is not particularly exciting. A lot of people won’t like that you don’t have to dig for its message either, which is pretty plain but positive.

The Irishman - I made it about 40 minutes into this movie and then gave up. Watching a decrepit Deniro "beat up" the grocery store owner sealed it for me. Just sad.

6 Underground - I watched this out of anger after giving up on the Irishman. It's everything you'd expect a Michael Bay movie starring Ryan Reynolds to be.

Star Wars 9 - I think I need to see/watch this again, but as someone who really enjoyed The Last Jedi, it was kind of a bummer. Some cool effects and tech innovations though.

Ford vs. Ferrari - spectacular. Somehow they managed to take a story that is kind of a snoozer - at least for someone who doesn't care about racing or cars - and make it extremely compelling. Soak up every scene with Damon and Bale together.

Back