• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Bombshell is a steaming turd of a movie. Especially compared to the Russell Crowe mini-series.

BTW, saw "Bombshell" - not the Fox flick but the Hedy Lemarr story. Good documentary and highly recommend. I've wondered why no one in Hollywood has done a biopic of her, but I guess it might be difficult to show how one invents frequency hopping.

1917 didn't do much for me. The spectacle of it is impressive, but it just didn't hit in an emotional place for me. YMMV.

Finally saw 1917. My mileage varied, I was very impressed. I'll write no letters of protest to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences should it win best picture Oscar.

The Gentlemen was a fun movie and didn't need subtitles unlike Snatch and Lock, stock...

The Gentlemen was fun but seemed to be basically a posh version of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels with less violent/stylized shootouts.

Saw Empire Strikes Back last night as we’re introducing the kids to Star Wars. Still good.

The wife and I were both speechless for a few minutes after 1917 ended. Just kind of wandered out of the theater in silence. I was immediately desperate to watch every behind-the-scenes clip I could find on the YouTubes.

Loved the casting of little-knowns for the two lead roles. And while the trailer clip of running in the field was spectacular, it's been so ubiquitous in the marketing that you knew it was coming. Conversely, we were both mesmerized by the nighttime flare scene in the blown-out village.

The wife and I were both speechless for a few minutes after 1917 ended. Just kind of wandered out of the theater in silence. I was immediately desperate to watch every behind-the-scenes clip I could find on the YouTubes.

Loved the casting of little-knowns for the two lead roles. And while the trailer clip of running in the field was spectacular, it's been so ubiquitous in the marketing that you knew it was coming. Conversely, we were both mesmerized by the nighttime flare scene in the blown-out village.

Also thought the casting of unknowns for the lead roles fit thematically, but then seemed like a strange choice to have Benedict Cumberbatch play that role toward the end. It was jarring, in a way that sort of took me out of the mood for a bit.

Saw two movies last night (both on Prime), both of which I thought were enjoyable. The first was Troop Zero, which I thought was a really good story and had a great cast (Mckenna Grace was fantastic). I was surprised when I saw it was written by the same woman who did Beasts of the Southern Wild. The second was Late Night, with Emma Tompson and Mindy Kaling, which I'm sure has some less than positive reviews but which I enjoyed nonetheless.

Saw two movies last night (both on Prime), both of which I thought were enjoyable. The first was Troop Zero, which I thought was a really good story and had a great cast (Mckenna Grace was fantastic). I was surprised when I saw it was written by the same woman who did Beasts of the Southern Wild. The second was Late Night, with Emma Tompson and Mindy Kaling, which I'm sure has some less than positive reviews but which I enjoyed nonetheless.

I enjoyed Late Night, too

Also thought the casting of unknowns for the lead roles fit thematically, but then seemed like a strange choice to have Benedict Cumberbatch play that role toward the end. It was jarring, in a way that sort of took me out of the mood for a bit.

That wasn't my experience, but I can understand it. Did you have a similar reaction to Colin Firth at the beginning?

My wife said she was thrown off by the appearance of the hot priest from Fleabag, so there you go.

Yeah, that was alright, pretty good. Cool visuals, Deakins is a master. Lead was great, I thought. Definitely had like two/three too many wtf emotionally manipulative/forced moments/coincidences for me to fully lock in, but I dug it more or less. Was QUITE high, which I think helped. Not sure I could have stomached the woman/baby part and the singing before battle part otherwise.

You guys remember how badass those tracking shots in Children of Men were? Now THAT was some shit.

Back