• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Not new movies, but recently having been watching some of my favorite 80s movies with my kids (ages 12,10,6). They have loved E.T., The Goonies, Back the Future I,II,III, and Indiana Jones (Raiders and Crusade, wife vetoed Temple of Doom). Have really enjoyed rewatching the movies of my childhood. I was concerned that my kids might think the movies are lame, but they were enthralled. Spielberg is timeless, I guess.

Watched Marriage Story last night and not sure how I feel about it. I was mostly just annoyed by the characters throughout - even the kid. We didn't get to see that much of their life that led up to the decision to split, but their problems just didn't seem that bad. Talk to each other, maybe? And why let yourself be pushed around by sleazy lawyers trying to run up a bill? Grow a spine and tell them what you want to do, jeez! I guess it is probably pretty realistic, tbh...

I don't know if there's another thread for this question, but with all the love that Tarantino is getting for Once Upon a Time... how come he hasn't caught more shit for his relationship with Weinstein? I know he's copped to "not doing as much as he should have" in the past, but it just seems odd that he gets a complete pass when Weinstein basically made his career.

I don't know if there's another thread for this question, but with all the love that Tarantino is getting for Once Upon a Time... how come he hasn't caught more shit for his relationship with Weinstein? I know he's copped to "not doing as much as he should have" in the past, but it just seems odd that he gets a complete pass when Weinstein basically made his career.

I thought that he donated residuals from his movies to groups that supported victims of rape and sexual assault?

Watched Terminator Dark Fate and it was ok. Better than I thought it would be. Hard to believe I used to yank it to Linda Hamilton. Thought the fight scenes could’ve been done better so that there wasn’t all the ridiculous jumping around CGI shit reminiscent of some of the earlier Marvel films. If comparing this to the other Terminator 3, I liked the other one better, but the wrench in this story and timeline is not bad by any means. Like most Arnold movies, this one is best when he is in it, which doesn’t happen until halfway through.

Saw 1917 this weekend. Intense, relentless, liked the compact story.

But as i was watching it something was bugging me and it clicked into place the moment they hit the farm and the fat guy turned around to face Will/the camera and say "we have to make sure" and the camera pushed through the stone gate.

The movie is an on-rails shooter/Call of Duty clone. Sam Mendez was just chilling on his couch playing COD or Edith Finch or whatever and is like "why has no one made a movie like this yet?"

- Movie opens on protagonist "hey you, General wants to see us"
- Tutorial section moving through camp with exposition
- [Celebrity Cameo] General gravely gives impossible mission that only two guys can do for [reason]
- Exposition/scene setting walk through trenches
- Music swells as letterboxing pulls back when you climb the ladder - Mission 1: Cross No Man's Land
- Cut scene as they rise to jump into the German trench
- QTE sequence where they explore/clear corners in the trench
- Mission 2: Clear the Bunker ends with "we have to get out of here !" QTE sequence with them tumbling out the door into the light while dust belches out of cave/door
- Cut scene exposition, sad story for fat guy about life at home
- "Farm looks abandoned" - "We have to make sure !" Mission 3: Clear Farm
- Cut scene, guy dies and then literally 1 minute later [Celebrity Cameo] Officer and his FUCKING TRUCKS pull up
- Cut Scene truck ride for again, somehow literally only 3 min to a large bombed out town

and so on

once Mark Strong showed up to be the grizzled-but-kind Officer trope I was all thoroughly distracted

Saw 1917 this weekend. Intense, relentless, liked the compact story.

But as i was watching it something was bugging me and it clicked into place the moment they hit the farm and the fat guy turned around to face Will/the camera and say "we have to make sure" and the camera pushed through the stone gate.

The movie is an on-rails shooter/Call of Duty clone. Sam Mendez was just chilling on his couch playing COD or Edith Finch or whatever and is like "why has no one made a movie like this yet?"

- Movie opens on protagonist "hey you, General wants to see us"
- Tutorial section moving through camp with exposition
- [Celebrity Cameo] General gravely gives impossible mission that only two guys can do for [reason]
- Exposition/scene setting walk through trenches
- Music swells as letterboxing pulls back when you climb the ladder - Mission 1: Cross No Man's Land
- Cut scene as they rise to jump into the German trench
- QTE sequence where they explore/clear corners in the trench
- Mission 2: Clear the Bunker ends with "we have to get out of here !" QTE sequence with them tumbling out the door into the light while dust belches out of cave/door
- Cut scene exposition, sad story for fat guy about life at home
- "Farm looks abandoned" - "We have to make sure !" Mission 3: Clear Farm
- Cut scene, guy dies and then literally 1 minute later [Celebrity Cameo] Officer and his FUCKING TRUCKS pull up
- Cut Scene truck ride for again, somehow literally only 3 min to a large bombed out town

and so on

once Mark Strong showed up to be the grizzled-but-kind Officer trope I was all thoroughly distracted

When I watched it, the comparisons going through my head weren't of Saving Private Ryan or All Quiet on the Western Front or any of the hundreds of war movies, but rather I kept going back to Hardcore Henry. That's not to say HH compares in any way artistically, but yeah, the video game-ness of it.

also, kind of wild that a british solder in 1917 would be singing a rendition of an american folk song

also, kind of wild that a british solder in 1917 would be singing a rendition of an american folk song

Per my wife, who is in a better position to know about such things more than I, the song was popular in Europe prior to WW1.

Yeah, I don't know if it's a testament to the detail of the CoD franchise, but I couldn't get over it. Still really enjoyed the movie, but from the first scene, going through the trenches, it reminded me of CoD cut-scenes. And then when they were on the farm, it felt like looting in a Battle Royale game mode.

I normally don't care about awards, but Parasite beating 1917 feels a lot like Saving Private Ryan losing to Shakespeare in Love.

Twenty years from now, it's probably going to be on a bunch of "Best Pictures that were wrong" listicles.

I normally don't care about awards, but Parasite beating 1917 feels a lot like Saving Private Ryan losing to Shakespeare in Love.

Twenty years from now, it's probably going to be on a bunch of "Best Pictures that were wrong" listicles.

Haven’t seen Parasite yet. I really liked 1917, but I think it will be remembered for its technical achievement more than its whole body of work. It wasn’t that great of a story, but it was unbelievably shot.

No. Just no.

I didn't see Judy but I was a-ok with all the winners, at least for the major categories. 1917 won for Cinematography, as it should have.

Parasite was legit a better movie than 1917. As Df07 said the story wasn't that great. 2 hours of bombs and bullets all around but missing the main character. If Parasite were done in English it would have been a runaway winner.

Back