• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

never seen it but people that know movies tell me The Deer Hunter is good

I’ve probably mentioned this dumb story before, but when I was back in high school I went through a phase where I was watching a ton of “classics” that I’d rent from Blockbuster.

I rented the Deer Hunter, which was so long that it came on two VHS tapes. They were either mis-labeled or not labeled. I watched a good portion of tape #2 (at least an hour) before I realized the mistake.

Was so confused, but thought it was just some sort of artistic thing that I didn’t understand.

When I watched it from the beginning, it was better... But still not one of my favorites.

I’ve probably mentioned this dumb story before, but when I was back in high school I went through a phase where I was watching a ton of “classics” that I’d rent from Blockbuster.

I rented the Deer Hunter, which was so long that it came on two VHS tapes. They were either mis-labeled or not labeled. I watched a good portion of tape #2 (at least an hour) before I realized the mistake.

Was so confused, but thought it was just some sort of artistic thing that I didn’t understand.

When I watched it from the beginning, it was better... But still not one of my favorites.

I did the same thing with Godfather 2.

I did that with a season of Mad Men once, getting the dvds from Netflix. Pretty amazing. I was like, OK, go for it, I'm along for the ride, this is psychedelic. Then I just felt like a dumbass.

I'm a sucker for Flight of the Intruder. I remember watching the shit out of it on VHS when I was a kid. Danny Glover, Willem Dafoe, and some guy.

I'm not sure how many times I've seen Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, but every time I do I am amazed. It's not only one of the greatest movies of all time. It's one of the most important. I seriously doubt it would have gotten made if three of the greatest actors of all time didn't have the courage to take their parts.

Hell, it was made before Loving vs. Virginia was decided and came out only few months after it was decided. Many theaters still wouldn't play it. It was in the very recent past at the time that black men had been beaten or lynched for even looking at a white woman. But Stanley Kramer, Katherine Hepburn. Sidney Poitier and Spencer Tracy put their careers on the line.

To some of you, it may seem dated and quaint, but at the time it was scandalous in many parts of our country,

It was the last movie Tracy made. The subject matter may have cost him an Oscar. However, it could be argued that the 1967 Best Actor category may have been the best group ever nominated in the same year. The winner was Rod Steiger for In the Heat of the Night. Also nominated were Dustin Hoffman for The Graduate, Paul Newman for Cool Hand Luke and Warren Beatty for Bonnie and Clyde.

Some may not know that Katharine Houghton, who played Joanna (Poitier's fiance') was Hepburn's real life niece.

Last edited:
Watched Booksmart last night & just finished Thunder Road. Booksmart was incredibly enjoyable and was funny. Thunder Road left me speechless. A gut punch that is funny yet tear-shedding. Jim Cummings was phenomenal.

I saw Parasite at the theater and JoJo Rabbit on demand this weekend. Pretty meh stuff.

boy Ralph Fiennes was an attractive fella in the English Patient. That character is a total asshole and hates women though; not sure i believe the empowered english scientist would fall for his shit.

Saw Bad Boys- easily the worst of the franchise. The script was awful from beginning to end.

I'm not sure how many times I've seen Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, but every time I do I am amazed. It's not only one of the greatest movies of all time. It's one of the most important. I seriously doubt it would have gotten made if three of the greatest actors of all time didn't have the courage to take their parts.

Hell, it was made before Loving vs. Virginia was decided and came out only few months after it was decided. Many theaters still wouldn't play it. It was in the very recent past at the time that black men had been beaten or lynched for even looking at a white woman. But Stanley Kramer, Katherine Hepburn. Sidney Poitier and Spencer Tracy put their careers on the line.

To some of you, it may seem dated and quaint, but at the time it was scandalous in many parts of our country,

It was the last movie Tracy made. The subject matter may have cost him an Oscar. However, it could be argued that the 1967 Best Actor category may have been the best group ever nominated in the same year. The winner was Rod Steiger for In the Heat of the Night. Also nominated were Dustin Hoffman for The Graduate, Paul Newman for Cool Hand Luke and Warren Beatty for Bonnie and Clyde.

Some may not know that Katharine Houghton, who played Joanna (Poitier's fiance') was Hepburn's real life niece.

It still never ceases to amaze me how much blacks are hated in this country. A couple of years ago I took a girl who had just started at our office out to a Wake basketball game (because I'm a jerk), and the guy who took my ticket - who had been all yuks and grins with everyone else - looked at me like I'd backed over his dog two or three thousand times. It was anger mixed with a sense of betrayal. And we got more odd looks from folks in the crowd.

But this is a thread about movies, so I'm going with the 1984 classic Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I did the same thing. Wanted to convince myself I was a cinephile and smarter than everyone around me. I pretended to love Deer Hunter, but I also pretended to understand James Joyce when I was 16, so I was a bit of a pretentious douche.

Watched Gallipoli yesterday. Pretty great movie; pre-nutjob Mel Gibson. Would recommend.

Back