• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Watched Edge of Tomorrow this weekend. Liked the setup and thought it was pretty solid. The thing I thought was most interesting was taking the Groundhog Day idea but making there be an end that is being worked towards.

Took my girls to see McFarland USA. It is exactly what you would expect. Good family movie, but started in a straight line and kept going for two hours.

Watched the 300 sequel the other day - as expected, a completely unnecessary, silly movie. But holy shit, Eva Green.

I saw this recently as well and my reaction is exactly the same. If you thought it was worth your time because of her, you must see the latest Sin City movie.

Annabelle was terrible. The first 20 minutes were promising, but it fell flat. The acting was bad, the writing was bad, the scares are all lame and predictable. I give it a D-

St. Vincent was interesting. I wasn't expecting it to be as dark and sad as it was. You really have to dig to find the charm in Murray's Vincent character, but the story is well rounded and fully fleshed out. I thought the ending was too sappy and preposterous. You don't need a whole school auditorium applauding Vincent to appreciate him. The film feels good because the characters have become a family, not because Vincent was actually a good guy 40 years ago. I give it a B-

Kill The Messenger was really good. The writing is sharp, and Renner is very believable as an investigative journalist. I wish the film had gone further into the media machinations that led to Gary Webb being blackballed. The end was sad, but I think the film missed the opportunity to really turn the knife and make it memorable. I give it a B.

RSF mentioned to me that my giving movies grades in my reviews was pretentious. I don't intend that, I'm fully aware that my opinion has no weight, a school grade is just an easy way to sum up my satisfaction with a movie.

I just think it's adorable, mostly because I read it in the voice of that high school kid from Hamlet 2

I was having a perfectly happy Saturday, so I decided to remedy that by seeing Still Alice. I have pretty mixed feelings. It's clearly old white people tearjerker bait, which pissed me off, but it was still really unsettling. I suspect the way it's depicted in this movie is better than most real cases (financially well-off perfect loving family, no scenes showing the really nasty side of late-stage, etc), but yeah. Fuck Alzheimer's.

Watched Inside Llewyn Davis last night. Thought it was outstanding!

Finally saw "Starred Up" and it was very impressive. It's certainly one of the best films of 2014, and I can understand why WakeFanatic rated it so highly. It's a very gripping prison drama about a violent juvenile being transferred to the prison where his father is held. Jack O'Connell is amazing as the main character Eric, worlds better than his starring role in Unbroken. The film was actually written by a prison therapist. I give it an A+

I enjoyed starred up too, but that was as close to a foreign language film in English as I have ever seen. Imagine hard core cockney accents speaking almost exclusively in British prison slang. Close caption was my friend on that one.

Finally saw "Starred Up" and it was very impressive. It's certainly one of the best films of 2014, and I can understand why WakeFanatic rated it so highly. It's a very gripping prison drama about a violent juvenile being transferred to the prison where his father is held. Jack O'Connell is amazing as the main character Eric, worlds better than his starring role in Unbroken. The film was actually written by a prison therapist. I give it an A+

20 minutes in

Fuuuuuuck

That title reminds me of my friend telling me about Star 80 the other day. He said I probably wasn't in the right mental state to watch it and that he'd tell me when I was. He was all "you know man, you're doing better, but I'd hold off on that -- I'll give you a heads up when I think you're ready." After hearing his description I am going to trust him with this one.

I enjoyed starred up too, but that was as close to a foreign language film in English as I have ever seen. Imagine hard core cockney accents speaking almost exclusively in British prison slang. Close caption was my friend on that one.

Starred Up was great, and yes, closed caption helped immensely.

Saw Gone Girl over the weekend. All I can say is damn....just damn. I still haven't figured out the Ben Affleck character's deal. Great movie with some really disturbing scenes.

Back