• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Nope was fantastic. Great cinematography, mystery that lasts till the end of the film, social allegory of representation and social media, influence of classic sci fi. It’s a 5 star film IMO, I can’t wait to see it again.

Going by Letterboxd in the last 5 years so far I have watched 510 films, and I have given 5 star reviews to only 6 new films

Have you not seen Belfast? That’s a 5 star movie.

I thought it was just ok. . It was…flat? I didn’t find it challenging or interesting, the emotional stakes were completely predictable. It pulls your heartstrings, but it’s not a great film IMO.

Yeah, Belfast is a snoozer. And I've already seen the mom's boobs 10,000 times in Highlander.

Saw the new BJ Novak movie. Some parts were cringeworthy, but I liked it enough. I am an easy grader though. Some clever lines in there.

Enjoyed it as well. Thought it did a good job of showing how people who are extreme left or right can share the blame for our fractured society and culture.

I wouldn't call Belfast a snoozer, but it's not exactly action-packed. The bad guy is kind of a caricature, for sure. But Ciaran Hinds' performance is Oscar worthy. He and Dench bounce off each other very well in that film, I thought. For those two alone it's worth watching.

Black phone is pretty good… definitely worth a watch

I wouldn't call Belfast a snoozer, but it's not exactly action-packed. The bad guy is kind of a caricature, for sure. But Ciaran Hinds' performance is Oscar worthy. He and Dench bounce off each other very well in that film, I thought. For those two alone it's worth watching.

I fell asleep.

Kinda disappointed with the Black Phone. Well made and well acted, good concept, and they set up the world in the 70s nicely, but just not scary at all. Did not think Hawke got enough screen time and was not very creepy when he was on screen -- expected a little more horror. Absent the language, could have easily been a PG-13 movie.

2017: Moonlight, The Florida Project
2018: Annihilation
2019: First Reformed
2020: Parasite, Little Women
2021: (none)

have we talked about annihilation in the last four years?

i feel like you may be the only person in the world who loved that movie as much as i did

Kinda disappointed with the Black Phone. Well made and well acted, good concept, and they set up the world in the 70s nicely, but just not scary at all. Did not think Hawke got enough screen time and was not very creepy when he was on screen -- expected a little more horror. Absent the language, could have easily been a PG-13 movie.

Exactly my thoughts, it was hyped up but meh, I give it 3/5

have we talked about annihilation in the last four years?

i feel like you may be the only person in the world who loved that movie as much as i did
Book is incredible, if you haven't read it. Really impossible to reproduce on screen the horror of the book

How many stars did Portrait of a Lady of Fire get? Probably my top movie in your timeframe.

I haven’t seen it but according to my friends on Letterboxd it must be amazing
4ab0a200461d6a2b0ac6488fdbacdda1.jpg

Back