• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Just rewatched Manhunter. It's strange to watch it having recently watched Hannibal (TV), Red Dragon, and Silence of the Lambs.

Brian Cox is great, but Mann hardly utilizes him. His interactions with Will are great, but definitely feel underdeveloped. This is Will Graham's film, which would be great if they gave us more to latch on to outside of the procedural. William Peterson does a good job, but again, the script doesn't call on him to do all that much. That said and as is the case with the book, the story makes for a hell of a procedural and the film reflects that. Mann's directing feels on point and the film is really well paced.

I just feel like script-wise, they left a lot of potential on the table, at least compared to the source material and subsequent adaptations.

While I was less impressed with the adaptation this time around, the film looks (and sounds) incredible than I remembered. Top notch production design, cinematography, scoring, etc. The scenes shot in the Graham house, as well as Dolarhyde's interior design are just amazing.

I watched Jaws for the first time since I was 12 or so. Just one of those movies that does everything superbly. I wouldn't change anything about it.

Just rewatched Manhunter. It's strange to watch it having recently watched Hannibal (TV), Red Dragon, and Silence of the Lambs.

Brian Cox is great, but Mann hardly utilizes him. His interactions with Will are great, but definitely feel underdeveloped. This is Will Graham's film, which would be great if they gave us more to latch on to outside of the procedural. William Peterson does a good job, but again, the script doesn't call on him to do all that much. That said and as is the case with the book, the story makes for a hell of a procedural and the film reflects that. Mann's directing feels on point and the film is really well paced.

I just feel like script-wise, they left a lot of potential on the table, at least compared to the source material and subsequent adaptations.

While I was less impressed with the adaptation this time around, the film looks (and sounds) incredible than I remembered. Top notch production design, cinematography, scoring, etc. The scenes shot in the Graham house, as well as Dolarhyde's interior design are just amazing.
On that note, Hannibal is a fucking awesome show, one of the best and interesting on television IMO. I've been continually impressed with how they've taken tired source material and made it fresh.

Will Graham: [watching the Leeds and Jacobi films side by side] And you know you need a bolt-cutter and every other Goddamn thing... Because everything with you is seeing, isn't it? Your primary sensory intake that makes your dream live is seeing... Reflections... Mirrors... Images...[stunned realization] You've seen these films! Haven't you, my man?

Will Graham: [watching the Leeds and Jacobi films side by side] And you know you need a bolt-cutter and every other Goddamn thing... Because everything with you is seeing, isn't it? Your primary sensory intake that makes your dream live is seeing... Reflections... Mirrors... Images...[stunned realization] You've seen these films! Haven't you, my man?

Great scene. I think this might be my favorite, though:

Just watched Jesus Camp.... Woof.... I'm not entirely sure on where to even begin. All I know is that if any of them saw Treaty of Tripoli it must truly hurt them, or the 1st Amendment...

Watched Foxcatcher last night.

Phenomenal movie. I didn't know anything about the back story.

Read "Child 44" and saw the movie the other day. The movie takes a slightly different scope than the book, which saves it from some of the less desirable plot points of the book, but introduces some new ones.

As for acting, my biggest fear was that they had cast a bunch of Americans to play Soviets which just had bad accents written all over it, but I didn't get that impression at all. I thought the acting was great, the directing was good with some powerful scenes, but the way the story fit together just seemed disjointed throughout. Again, the writer of the movie seemed to force a different scope onto practically the same plot of the book, but it just kind of came out as scatterbrained as he randomly forced some scenes from the book with little to no explanation in the movie.

All in all, I think the 41 it is currently at on Metacritic is way too harsh, but I couldn't give it more than about a 65, 70 if I really stretched. VERY well acted, but the story is just too jumbled. (Not just in comparison to the book, but as a stand alone movie)

Watched Foxcatcher last night.

Phenomenal movie. I didn't know anything about the back story.

Just watched this on a plane. It was very good. I did not know the back story either but it felt bleak from start to finish. Slow burn so much that when the ending came I was not expecting it yet.

Ex Machina was very good. Extremely intelligent and taught psychological thriller. Did not realize that Garland had written the Beach and 28 Days Later. He is a talent.

Just saw "While We're Young". Solid movie for the 8xDeacs (and early 9xDeacs) out there.

Caught Good Night and Good Luck yesterday - thought they spent too much time on Hollenbeck, but otherwise pretty solid. Stratharian (sp?) was stellar.

Ex Machina felt like a companion piece to Under the Skin (best movie of 2014 IMO). Most thought provoking flick I've seen in a long time. Loved it.

Black Sea is a good submarine genre flick with Jude Law.

2015 film already available on Amazon.

Don't recall reading or hearing a thing about it.

Saw The Gambler yesterday and was a little disappointed. I thought it would be a lot better than it was. But his charcter's self-destructive no fucks given attitude was a little over the top for me. It wasn't turrible, but certainly not worth rewatching anytime soon.

Horrible Bosses 2. Not as good as the first but thought Chris Pine was a solid addition. Glad I waited for the Red Box.

Back