• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

I'm going to The Equalizer next week or so. I really liked the TV show. It's a franchise that Denzel could star in for the next decade if is interested in doing it.

Just watched "The Signal" (2014) and I enjoyed it a lot, though the ending felt tacked on and cheap. The tone of the film was very "Terrence Malick directing a YA sci-fi adaptation". The kid from the Giver was much better in this. You sort of get thrown into the story halfway through without any exposition, and I bet a lot of people don't like that.

just caught fruitvale station on cable. i thought it was well done and did not remember it being based on a true story. the last 15 minutes were tough to watch. the last scene...

The actual footage can be easily found on the internet.

Couldnt sleep last night and finished Nymphomaniac Vol. II. Had watched the first one earlier in the year. Lars Von Trier is one weird bro. Not sure these movies work as a whole, but they are definitely some of the most interesting/intriguing movies of 2014. Some of the most intense scenes I've seen in a while. Lots of tension and cringe.

I didn't really like Meloncholia, havent seen Anti-Christ, but I have heard that is super intense with some harrowing scenes as well.

Oh, and Stacy Martin is fraking smoking, even though she has a little bit of the Euroface going.

Stacy-Martin-5-facts-boyfriend-Daniel-Blumberg-and-sex-in-Nymphomaniac-350x477-cover-vertical.jpg

Only Lovers Left Alive. Loved it, great performances from Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston. A different kind of vampire film, directed by Jim Jarmusch, so it's offbeat, slow burn style will throw some off, but those willing to give it a shot may find it very rewarding. Lovers of music and evocative cinematography should check it out, as should those who are into vintage art. The final shot is the best of any movie this year, incredibly haunting.

Saw The Trip and The Trip to Italy. Basically follows two Brit comedians (Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon - playing themselves in a fictional plot) on a tour of nice restaurants and inns (in Northern England in The Trip and Italy in the Trip to Italy). No action, no real plot, and nothing much really happens). That said, I enjoyed them both. They were kind of like Anthony Bourdain but with two Brit comedians and no real substance.

Just saw a walk amongst the tombstones. I go into every one of these noir murder thrillers hoping it will be the next Seven or Zodiac, and they never are. Prisoners last year was the closest i've seen. Having said that, this wasn't the Taken clone that the critics have made it out to be, though seeing Liam Neeson play a grizzled alcoholic retired cop is beyond tired. The guy is literally making a career out of being too old for this shit.

Last edited:
Would you recommend it? It's such a shit time for movies and I really want to see something.

Just realized that Denzel Washington and Liam Neeson play the exact same characters, just with different racial tropes. Liam is the guilty alcoholic white catholic who is too old for this detective shit, Denzel is the mouthy smart ass black guy who's too old for this detective shit. Remember "Man on Fire"? That was Denzel playing Liam Neeson!

Last edited:
Saw "Only Lovers Left Alive" tonight, and I really enjoyed it, though it's the definition of droll. It's a very fresh take on vampires, and also a cool theoretical perspective on what married life would be for immortals.

Watched "Night Moves" last night. Giving it a huge recommendation to all the film peeps on the board. Won't say anything about it now, going in not knowing much is the way to see it.

Watched "Night Moves" last night. Giving it a huge recommendation to all the film peeps on the board. Won't say anything about it now, going in not knowing much is the way to see it.

I didn't buy the Meek's Cutoff hype. I thought it was really cold.

Watched A Night at the Opera (1935) last night. The 2nd Marx Brothers movie I had seen (Duck Soup) and easily the better of the two.

I didn't buy the Meek's Cutoff hype. I thought it was really cold.

Watched A Night at the Opera (1935) last night. The 2nd Marx Brothers movie I had seen (Duck Soup) and easily the better of the two.

I felt the same about Meek's Cutoff. I think this is Reichardt's best effort yet. Very cold and subdued still, but here it's to a chilling, mesmerizing effect instead of a numbing one.

Watched Snowpiercer a few nights ago. Hated it.

Snowpiercer seems pretty polarizing for people, but I really liked it. Watching Draft Day right now and it's just dog shit - it's a goddamned NFL commercial written and directed by Aaron Sorkin's hack assistant.

Snowpiercer seems pretty polarizing for people, but I really liked it. Watching Draft Day right now and it's just dog shit - it's a goddamned NFL commercial written and directed by Aaron Sorkin's hack assistant.

When I first saw previews for that I thought it was legitimately a joke

Back