• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

also, i think it's one of murrays best performances, period, yes

a quick, lazy google search has LiT as one of his top 5 performances, comedies included

Just watched Her. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I might have really liked it. I might have hated it. I caught some feels for sure, just not sure which ones. This movie vexes me. I'm very vexed.

Last edited:
Straight Outta Compton sequel in development
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...turing-rise-Snoop-Dogg-late-Tupac-Shakur.html

So it's thought that there will be equal interest in a follow up about the emergence of high profile West Coast rap artists including Snoop Dogg and the late Tupac Shakur.
Following the success of the August 2015 release, TMZ reports that a sequel is being lined up about D.P.G and featured artists Warren G and Nate Dogg, which will be called Dogg Pound 4 Life.

I think "Stranded on Death Row" with a focus on Dre, Snoop, Tupac, and Suge would be better. It could cover everything between 1991 and 1995 that they couldn't cover in "Compton" and end with Tupac's death.

Rewatched The Prestige for the first time in years. I really enjoyed it, despite knowing all the twists (and there are many).

Anybody going to see Sinister 2? I'll see it eventually, but damn, it's getting lawnmowered by the critics.
Disappointing but not surprising. I loved Sinister 1, but I'll wait to redbox #2. I haven't seen many good horror films this year.

I just read this depressing comment on reddit by an indie horror filmmaker that makes me a tad worried about the future of indie filmmaking, and the horror genre in particular:

Horror is a tough genre. It is truly a niche at this point. With most horror being released VOD, it is nearly impossible to make your budget back. Right now, the number 1 horror movie on iTunes is Unfriended. It is #42 over all genres. I know when our movie was #18 over all genres on iTunes we made $2800 in rentals/sales that week. At 42, you can maybe make $1500. Now imagine you have a $500,000 budget to pay back. You're very unlikely to make it into theaters on that budget, but you'd have to be number 1 in iTunes horror for 3 years to make that money back.

There was a boom where VOD seemed to be taking off, but the numbers suck. Everyone was testing the waters and they realized that it just isn't very viable. So now you are going to see more and more smaller films water themselves down to appeal to larger audiences just as you see with blockbusters.

Piracy isn't affecting theatrical ticket sales but it is watering down all of our content. That's why blockbusters pander to Chinese audiences now. VOD indies are learning the same thing. To pander toward people that are less likely to pirate and to stuff the movies with anything that will help them sell to overseas markets.

The bubble is bursting. VOD is not growing. Netflix is paying half the license fees as they used to so they can create original content. Investors are not making their money back, so they are not re-investing.

FYI the movie he refers to as "our movie" is The Battery, a well-received zombie flick available on Amazon Prime instant streaming.

I mean, the past 5 or so years have given us some outstanding horror gems that would never have been seen otherwise. If his point about trouble finding investors is true, I wonder if that means we'll see a move toward more crowdfunding for movies.

Piracy is a much bigger problem in China than here. I think his point is just about expanding markets not avoiding piracy.

I get where he's coming from, but there are more indies now than there ever have been before. Because of relatively new developments like crowd funding, non traditional distribution, and increased tax breaks in states trying to become movie and TV friendly, it's easier than it ever has to make an indie. I mean sure you can worry about piracy, but that comes with a bunch of stuff that even allowed the movie to get made in the first place.

I think the moral of the story is that if you cant get real distribution, $500,000 is a no mans land for the budget of an indie. Either go much smaller knowing that VOD is not a reliable way to repay investors, or only make the movie if you can raise about a million and get real distribution. I mean studios LOVE the horror genre because they can be made on small budgets without big name actors and consistently hit doubles. Unfriended was completely unremarkable and was made for a million and made 59 million in theaters.

I watched the Prize Winner of Defiance last night - Julianne Moore, Woody Harrelson. I don't know when it came out. It was kind of depressing, really. Interesting-enough story given that it is true, but still kind of depressing.

Unfriended was probably the worst movie I've seen all year. There is nothing notable about it besides the presentation, and that becomes tired quickly. I'd rather sit through another 10 Paranormal Activity sequels than watch another movie like that. The acting sucks, the "plot" is threadbare, the scares aren't scary, and the 5 seconds of gore is poorly done and edited into nothing. I've had skinned knees bloodier than that movie.

Last edited:
I get where he's coming from, but there are more indies now than there ever have been before. Because of relatively new developments like crowd funding, non traditional distribution, and increased tax breaks in states trying to become movie and TV friendly, it's easier than it ever has to make an indie. I mean sure you can worry about piracy, but that comes with a bunch of stuff that even allowed the movie to get made in the first place.

I think the moral of the story is that if you cant get real distribution, $500,000 is a no mans land for the budget of an indie. Either go much smaller knowing that VOD is not a reliable way to repay investors, or only make the movie if you can raise about a million and get real distribution. I mean studios LOVE the horror genre because they can be made on small budgets without big name actors and consistently hit doubles. Unfriended was completely unremarkable and was made for a million and made 59 million in theaters.

Yeah, excellent points. Other countries are working to promote their filmmaking opportunities as well. And I can't remember where I saw the list, but the top 10 most profitable movies of the last 10 years were all horror movies. #1 was The Devil Inside, which was a piece of shit but made $101 million back on a $1 million budget.

Unfriended was probably the worst movie I've seen all year. There is nothing notable about it besides the presentation, and that becomes tired quickly. I'd rather sit through another 10 Paranormal Activity sequels than watch another movie like that. The acting sucks, the "plot" is threadbare, the scares aren't scary, and the 5 seconds of gore is poorly done and edited into nothing. I've had skinned knees bloodier than that movie.

Is its presentation any different from The Den? That one was decent enough, in a "once is enough" sort of way.

Back