• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

I should have seen Mad Max in the theater. But it still kicked ass at home.

Agree with everyone on The Martian, really entertaining. A lot of it has to do with the source material, but the total lack of pretension was refreshing for a movie from a big name director and cast full of stars... esp compared to Interstellar or Prometheus, two tangentially connected movies.

Just rewatched Sunset Boulevard.

65 years old and timeless.

Billy Wilder was arguably the greatest director of his era.

Agree with everyone on The Martian, really entertaining. A lot of it has to do with the source material, but the total lack of pretension was refreshing for a movie from a big name director and cast full of stars... esp compared to Interstellar or Prometheus, two tangentially connected movies.

god, fuck prometheus

it's hard to believe these two are even from the same director

Saw Lord of War for the first time on Monday. One of those movies I've been meaning to see for years. I liked it a lot.

Sat through Lawrence of Arabia.

Loved the cinematography but man, Peter O'Toole seemed like kind of a toolbag

Saw Lord of War for the first time on Monday. One of those movies I've been meaning to see for years. I liked it a lot.

I really like it as well. It's on the list of movies that I will almost always turn on if I see it when scrolling through the guide.

I think The Apartment is his best work. Stalag 17 is underrated.

who could ever imagine that shirley maclaine was once fuckable?

main-qimg-861604da45c8129219cb9d01c6726693

MARTIAN SPOILER ALERT:

Never understood why Will Hunting didn't just re-jigger his greenhouse after the first ka-boom. If he couldn't do it, then how did he himself have enough water? I realize this picks nits.

MARTIAN SPOILER ALERT:

Never understood why Will Hunting didn't just re-jigger his greenhouse after the first ka-boom. If he couldn't do it, then how did he himself have enough water? I realize this picks nits.

In the book it's said that along with the bacteria from the human waste that he uses, the astronauts brought along earth soil with its own bacteria that he mixed in and spread that made the martian greenhouse arable.

When the airlock explodes, all the baceteria dies instantly from the super sub zero temps, and he can't recreate arable land. They say this in the movie, but they did not include the bit about the earth soil bacteria.

The book is definitely worth a read if you enjoyed the hard sci-fi didactic nature of the movie, it's amplified in the book and there are more problems and the problem solving is broken down step by step realistically.

Last edited:
So I thought the Martian was ok, but way overrated. There is no thrill or emotion in the film, every scene is a new problem being solved. The most emotion in the whole film is Matt Damon saying "fuck" after he patches himself up. Never do you see anyone cry over his death, or do you see him commiserate about his loneliness. This is the far extreme from Nolan's overwrought Interstellar, which beat you over the head with feelings. The whole time i'm watching him count his food i'm wishing Robin Williams was there to tell him over and over that it's not his fault, just to see him emote a little over being left for dead on Mars.

Back