• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

SICARIO was a hard hitting flick. A cross between Zero Dark Thirty and Traffic. Score was phenomenal, and the cinematography by longtime Coen Bros. collaborator Roger Deakins was the best so far this year.

So I thought the Martian was ok, but way overrated. There is no thrill or emotion in the film, every scene is a new problem being solved. The most emotion in the whole film is Matt Damon saying "fuck" after he patches himself up. Never do you see anyone cry over his death, or do you see him commiserate about his loneliness. This is the far extreme from Nolan's overwrought Interstellar, which beat you over the head with feelings. The whole time i'm watching him count his food i'm wishing Robin Williams was there to tell him over and over that it's not his fault, just to see him emote a little over being left for dead on Mars.

I think that what he says to the class at the very end provides some context/explanation for this. When you are in that environment/situation, all you can do is solve a problem and move on, solve a problem and move on, until you have solved enough problems that you get to come home. He couldn't afford to lose his shit or else he would have certainly died.

We're getting into spoiler territory, but I disagree with that. He was there long enough to have a good cry and commence to sciencing the shit out of Mars.

Book Spoilers:

In the book he also delves a lot more into loneliness and boredom. Especially on his journeys in the rover to get Pathfinder and to go to the Ares 4 site. He's cooped up in a van for weeks, so he creates a tent for him to sleep in outside of it. He also ends up shorting out Pathfinder so loses communication entirely with Earth, which never happens in the movie.

We're getting into spoiler territory, but I disagree with that. He was there long enough to have a good cry and commence to sciencing the shit out of Mars.

I don't think it's about time. I think it's about not spiraling into a deep depression. Regardless, I thought it was fantastic.

I don't think I ever really needed to see Watney cry, nor do I think it really would have added anything to the film. The context was all there, and it was a pretty thrilling two hours. I didn't need to see his loved ones crying, or flashbacks of why they weren't. I thought the sense of restraint (especially in contrast with that clusterfuck of a movie Interstellar) in that department was refreshing, particularly for Scott, who too often falls into the same bullshit grandiose traps as Nolan.

Last edited:
Yeah, I disagree with all that. This was a paint by numbers rescue flick, and there wasn't a single outstanding thing about it.
1. Astronaut says, "How am I going to do x?"
2. Matt Damon looks off into middle distance
3. sarcastic, ejubilant quip
4. Cut to 5 minute montage of him solving life threatening issue

And repeat

Book Spoilers:

In the book he also delves a lot more into loneliness and boredom. Especially on his journeys in the rover to get Pathfinder and to go to the Ares 4 site. He's cooped up in a van for weeks, so he creates a tent for him to sleep in outside of it. He also ends up shorting out Pathfinder so loses communication entirely with Earth, which never happens in the movie.

It's too bad they didn't find a way to include the loss of communication with Earth. I thought that was one of the better sequences in the book, when he realized he really was on his own and had to do it all himself.

The fact they resisted to make anything Oscar bait-y about it and no one had an existential crisis is one of the most appealing things about the movie. Some material just lends you to make a rock solid entertaining popcorn flick. The worst thing they could have done was try to add artificially pathos, esp when it goes counter to a theme of the movie.

The fact they resisted to make anything Oscar bait-y about it and no one had an existential crisis is one of the most appealing things about the movie. Some material just lends you to make a rock solid entertaining popcorn flick. The worst thing they could have done was try to add artificially pathos, esp when it goes counter to a theme of the movie.

ding ding ding
I disagree. There is a vast distance between oscar bait and this Nasa commercial.

Keep in mind that I liked the movie, I just think it's being overhyped

This ginger chick in Nightmare on Elm Street 2 is so hot, looks just like a chi-o that I graduated with

Last edited:
My favorite part about the Martian was how bearded astronaut Matt Damon looked like Clayton Kershaw.

Watched Spy last night. Really enjoyed it. A lot like Get Smart, but a little better in almost every way.

have recently seen spy and thought it was pretty funny.

also just saw sicario and enjoyed it. fantastic cinematography. good suspense.

Finally watched my Papillon bluray and it was fantastic. It's very impressive how French Guiana looks beautiful and terrifying at the same time. That is one of Steve McQueens best roles IMO

Last edited:
Party Girl is good early-90s NYC, grimy, quirky fun.

And Parker Posey is a total babe.

And Parker Posey is a total babe.

I'm embarrassed to engage with such #density. Identifying a woman as a total babe is harmful because of the effects that come to pass as a result: less likely to be considered in life for anything but her looks (when controlling for all other factors), more likely to be dismissed in academic and professional settings as just a pretty face, etc.

The point is that you are removing everything non-physical from the individual when you only reference them because of how they appear, especially woman. The brain does this naturally, and our prejudices are reinforced strongly through the media about what an attractive woman is suppose to look like, but they are not the only important properties of that person. So when you refer to a woman as a total babe then it is problem

When done from a position as a privileged male, a group that is not judged by their looks compared to the female population, then those presumptions manifest into real social ills whereby a more judged group (e.g. women) are denied access to certain spaces in society such as equal pay. Done over and over and over again, it becomes systematic.

The ones that will defend this misogynistic treatment on here are probably not women and probably lack to courage or strength required to live the life of a woman in America today.

Back