• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

I'm embarrassed to engage with such #density. Identifying a woman as a total babe is harmful because of the effects that come to pass as a result: less likely to be considered in life for anything but her looks (when controlling for all other factors), more likely to be dismissed in academic and professional settings as just a pretty face, etc.

The point is that you are removing everything non-physical from the individual when you only reference them because of how they appear, especially woman. The brain does this naturally, and our prejudices are reinforced strongly through the media about what an attractive woman is suppose to look like, but they are not the only important properties of that person. So when you refer to a woman as a total babe then it is problem

When done from a position as a privileged male, a group that is not judged by their looks compared to the female population, then those presumptions manifest into real social ills whereby a more judged group (e.g. women) are denied access to certain spaces in society such as equal pay. Done over and over and over again, it becomes systematic.

The ones that will defend this misogynistic treatment on here are probably not women and probably lack to courage or strength required to live the life of a woman in America today.

Solid

Bridge of Spies was predictably well done Spielberg. Mostly a tallkie history lesson with one unexpectedly great set piece in the middle. Per usual Spielberg there were like 3 endings, each more saccharine than the last, but overall really enjoyable even if I feel like Spielberg could direct these movies with his hands ties behind his back at this point.

Saw Sicario last week. Did not think it was worth the hype. Very well acted, but I thought the script sucked. Also not sure Villenueve deserves quite all the accolades. Some decent moments, but nothing groudbreaking here.

Straight Outta Compton is really good.

It definitely dances around some of the group's and individual member's more controversial moments (Cube and Eazy's homophobia, Dre's domestic violence, etc), but it's a really well acted and written depiction of an amazing time in rap history. Abstracting a bit, it's also one hell of a reminder that the material conditions that produced NWA, the ghetto, and the Rodney King riots are very much unchanged.

ETA: There are tons of music-related nuggets, too, including the best "production" scenes since Hustle and Flow and some pretty spot-on portrayals of rap icons.

And Suge Knight. Holy shit.

Thought the movie was really well done. Slight aside, but the first time most of America saw militarized police was following the Boston Marathon bombing. The excuse was post 9/11 spending. The very first scene of the movie (late '80s) has a military style vehicle rolling down a Compton street. People were also kinda shocked about Michael Vick's dog fighting ring, but SOC is lousy with pit bulls.

Yesterday I watched a pretty good thriller called "The Harvest" on Netflix, starring Micheal Shannon and the pre-cog chick from Minority Report. Today I watched Days of Heaven and Seven Samurai.

Yesterday I watched a pretty good thriller called "The Harvest" on Netflix, starring Micheal Shannon and the pre-cog chick from Minority Report. Today I watched Days of Heaven and Seven Samurai.

I misread the last part as Days of Thunder and The Last Samurai and was wondering why the heck you went on a Tom Cruise kick.

lol no, but I do love Days of Thunder, I might be the only person in the world who thinks Days of Thunder is better than Top Gun.

Saw Jurassic World this weekend. It was pretty good, but nowhere near as good as the original.

Saw Jurassic World this weekend. It was pretty good, but nowhere near as good as the original.

Not as bad as the 2nd and 3rd installments though.

I saw Sicario last week. I liked it, but felt like it wasn't quite complete in the end.

Back