• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

has anyone seen The Martian who also read the book?
Just finished the book... can't decide if I want to see the movie.

watched saving private ryan this weekend.

scene with Wade dying get gets me in the #feels

no, i've seen it many times. i was stuck at a cabin in the rain watching a 5 mo puppy for the day with no TV and a VHS copy of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (costner) or SPR

no, i've seen it many times. i was stuck at a cabin in the rain watching a 5 mo puppy for the day with no TV and a VHS copy of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (costner) or SPR

Well that was an easy choice. Costner got a Razzie for his midwestern accent Robin Hood I believe...

sadly, it's one of my wife's favorite movies; when we got home last night it happened to be on TV so I got to watch it, anyway.

I like Prince of Thieves. Costner's non-accent doesn't bother me at all.

has anyone seen The Martian who also read the book?
Just finished the book... can't decide if I want to see the movie.
Yes, I finished the book like a week ago and saw the movie on Friday

They're both good

Yes, I finished the book like a week ago and saw the movie on Friday

They're both good

noted.
i already know the parts they'll make all dramatic but am curious how they go about showing/explaining all of the math/calculations he does in the book.

Since we are talking about The Martian, in the books does it explain this,
we had to evacuate the planet because a storm was coming and might blow over our return launch vehicle but don't worry we send the launch vehicles to the planet 4 years in advance to remain standing the entire time, hope a storm doesn't come before we get there!

Since we are talking about The Martian, in the books does it explain this,
we had to evacuate the planet because a storm was coming and might blow over our return launch vehicle but don't worry we send the launch vehicles to the planet 4 years in advance to remain standing the entire time, hope a storm doesn't come before we get there!

haha - actually, i don't think it does. i'd have to look back through and see if that's explained, because they do a good job of the whole "but wait! you might be wondering why i did this when we already told you X" aspect of lots of things he does.

ok, looking in the book now and it says this:

"The MAV was soft-landed. Of course, it was in constant communication with Houston, and if there had been any problems with it, we would have passed by Mars and gone home without ever landing. ... The mission is designed to handle sandstorm gusts up to 150 kph. So Houston got understandably nervous when we got whacked with 175 kph winds. ... The MAV is a spaceship. It has a lot of delicate parts. It can put up with storms to a certain extent, but it can't just get sandblasted forever. After an hour and a half of sustained wind, NASA gave the order to abort. Nobody wanted to stop a monthlong mission after only six days, but if the MAV took any more punishment, we'd all have gotten stranded down there."

basically, that particular storm was abnormal and way beyond what they anticipated for a prolonged period of time.

Last edited:
they don't, but they don't talk about it being the concern in the book. it's the fact that the storm is just super powerful and dangerous

Back