• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

that's also the most unscientific part of the book/movie because of the super thin atmosphere (which they mention when they decide to take the top off of the launcher at the end) there are no storms on mars nearly that strong to be a threat. i guess it wasn't easy to force the initial problem of accidentally marooning a man on mars.

all the stuff that happens after that is pretty well grounded from what i've read, so IRL when nasa talks about future possible missions to mars they would send a lot of stuff in advance

that's also the most unscientific part of the book/movie because of the super thin atmosphere (which they mention when they decide to take the top off of the launcher at the end) there are no storms on mars nearly that strong to be a threat. i guess it wasn't easy to force the initial problem of accidentally marooning a man on mars.

all the stuff that happens after that is pretty well grounded from what i've read, so IRL when nasa talks about future possible missions to mars they would send a lot of stuff in advance

yeah, i was wondering about that too - the dust i can understand to be an issue because it gets in the air and it's just... there for a while. but the actual wind/storm aspect of things doesn't seem as likely/possible, based on my VERY RUDIMENTARY understanding of space physics.

Spectre isn't out yet but I saw this awesome graphic and thought this thread would be the best place for it:

20151031_WOC007.png

Craig loves the booze.

Daniel Craig has aged these 9 years. He's been hurt a lot on set so no wonder, but I don't blame him for being sick of Bond. Plus his personality and the Bond personality are polar opposites, and that must get old. Dude gets paid though.

yeah, i was wondering about that too - the dust i can understand to be an issue because it gets in the air and it's just... there for a while. but the actual wind/storm aspect of things doesn't seem as likely/possible, based on my VERY RUDIMENTARY understanding of space physics.

I actually had a different, if similar problem with the movie. Probably the only thing that really bothered me with it in the moment:
if this massive storm came through and just wrecked everyone's face, why wasn't weather ever an issue again after that? like the dude is driving for 50-60 days straight all over the planet, and he never encounters another storm? that crew must've been super unlucky

i dunno, super hurricanes don't hit every year. knock on wood but we haven't had a bigass tornado in about 4 or 5 years come through our region.

it's not that strange

That's actually a big piece in the book that was left out of the movie. Weather plays a big role during his drive.

I noticed the MAV issue as well when I saw it this weekend. Most certainly a plot hole. NASA used a sky crane to lower curiosity! They surely could have used anchors to secure the MAV against any storm you could possibly imagine on Mars. The atmosphere basically precludes anything bad from happening because it is so thin.

That movie made me want to go to Mars so badly though. They did an amazing job with the scenery.

I actually had a different, if similar problem with the movie. Probably the only thing that really bothered me with it in the moment:
if this massive storm came through and just wrecked everyone's face, why wasn't weather ever an issue again after that? like the dude is driving for 50-60 days straight all over the planet, and he never encounters another storm? that crew must've been super unlucky

yeah, i actually just learned about this difference between the book and movie. kind of annoying since it plays a big role in that whole saga.

Saw Sicario last night. Score and cinematography were outstanding. The one backlit shot of the group walking down out of frame against the twilight sunset....damn. That is art.

Also, the fact that the movie is like Rubbins's life is pretty cool.

Watched Pitch Perfect 2 and Entourage this weekend. Both solid and exactly what I expected.

As a huge Bond fan, I saw Spectre this weekend. While it followed the typical Bond plot and prototype, I came away feeling very meh about it. It was missing the witty names and cheesy one liners that made the Bond films unique. This was more of a straightforward action movie, which while still good, didn't live up to the others.

I wont spoil it, but the movie definitely left an out for this to possibly be the last of the Bond movies. They're up to 24 movies, but the director of the last few has said he will not direct the 25th. Daniel Craig is still undecided if he will return.

Back