• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Saw The Big Short over the holiday break. Great acting, great direction (from the Ricky Bobby guy no less...), but easily the best part of the film is the attempt to explain the extremely complex banking economics in layman's terms. Funny and informative at the same time, even if you still don't grasp the entirety of it.

Bale was great, but Steve Carrell was amazing.

Caught up on a few movies over the holiday weekend.

Ant-Man. Loved it -- funnier than the movie below. Pena is great, and Rudd is exactly as you expect/hope for. The entire concept is pretty silly but loved that they acknowledged that in the movie.
Trainwreck. Funny parts but overrated imo. Schumer can be pretty unlikable.
The Gift. Great old school thriller flipped on its head. Loved the ending and should have seen it coming but didn't.
Inside out. Very good. Pretty sad. Kids didn't love it.

I'm strongly considering giving The Hateful Eight a go this weekend. I typically love Tarantino films, especially the recent ones.

hateful eight is 180 minutes and there is some sort of intermission. i'm not entirely sure what that means though.

Im in the process of watching pirates of the carribean strange tides or whatever - Im assuming I saw it, but I dont remember this movie at all, no kiera knightley is disappointing and some crap about mermaids crying is weird.

Saw The Big Short over the holiday break. Great acting, great direction (from the Ricky Bobby guy no less...), but easily the best part of the film is the attempt to explain the extremely complex banking economics in layman's terms. Funny and informative at the same time, even if you still don't grasp the entirety of it.

Bale was great, but Steve Carrell was amazing.

Agree with all of this, highly recommend The Big Short to anyone.

Point Break was a decent pure action movie. If you expect a great story, it is not your movie. Basically some nice action shots and scenic views with an okay but outlandish story. I know the answer is $$$ but I still don't know why they felt the need to do a Point Break remake. It's worth a look whenever it hits the streaming services.

The last Hunger Games was easily the worst.

Book was the shittiest too. Not much to work with.

Saw:
Ant-Man - exactly what it should have been. action packed, humorous, enjoyable.
A Most Wanted Man - slow, but smart and suspenseful and well-directed. Brilliant acting from Phillip Seymour Hoffman. VeryTinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Why in the world would you be reading Hunger Games books? Grief.

Saw the last 2/3 of Signal last night. Low budget for the story they were trying to tell, but pretty damn good.

Watched A Most Violent Year as part of recent Oscar Isaac kick on Amazon Prime and enjoyed it.

Why in the world would you be reading Hunger Games books? Grief.

Saw the last 2/3 of Signal last night. Low budget for the story they were trying to tell, but pretty damn good.
My sisters got 'em for Christmas back in 2010 before they were movies, and I read them because I was bored over the holiday. Haven't seen the third movie.

Hateful 8 may have been tarantino's best work yet. Like a Reservoir Dogs/Django hybrid, Jackson's performance was Oscar worthy though I know it would be an impossibility...

Saw and enjoyed Hateful Eight. Like any Tarantino movie, there are scenes or set pieces that are just absolutely brilliant, others than don't work as well or seem slow. I love Walton Goggins, so it was cool to see him with so much to do after only appearing briefly in Django. Also nice to see Samuel L Jackson with a meaty part, as it feels like a while since I've seen him be a badass in something. Thought Michael Madsen was probably miscast.

Hard to say where I'd rank it among Tarantino flicks -- feel like you have to let his movies breathe for a while. Off the cuff, I don't think it's as good as Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown or Inglorious Bastards, but I think it stands up with Kill Bill and Django, and is better than Death Proof.

Rubbins, you troll, but there actually is no intermission in the normal version. That was only in the special roadshow version, which had programs and a pre-film overture. That reminds me, the score of the movie by Ennio Morricone is outstanding.

Back