• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Just saw Brooklyn by myself amidst a theatre chocked full with elderly people. It was awesome! Gave me all the feels. Made me wanna marry an irish girl. Made me rock hard, honestly.
Awesome! I streamed it on my tablet in SD and its still one of my top films of the year.

Watched Ex Machina recently. A little plodding at times, but overall well done: beautifully shot, perfectly cast, etc. A Frankenstein for the 21st century.

I thought Revenant was good but not great overall. It dragged in some Leo scenes, so I'd agree that the movie could have been cut down by 30 minutes and still been able to convey the same story in depth.

Saw and enjoyed Hateful Eight. Like any Tarantino movie, there are scenes or set pieces that are just absolutely brilliant, others than don't work as well or seem slow. I love Walton Goggins, so it was cool to see him with so much to do after only appearing briefly in Django. Also nice to see Samuel L Jackson with a meaty part, as it feels like a while since I've seen him be a badass in something. Thought Michael Madsen was probably miscast.

Hard to say where I'd rank it among Tarantino flicks -- feel like you have to let his movies breathe for a while. Off the cuff, I don't think it's as good as Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown or Inglorious Bastards, but I think it stands up with Kill Bill and Django, and is better than Death Proof.

no reservoir dogs on your list?

like most tarantino films i absolutely loved it and it was too long

Absolutely would put Reservoir Dogs right there with the first group. Not sure why I didn't mention it.

Saw The Big Short last weekend and thought it was entertaining, and acted and directed with a lot of energy, but I didn't love it. I'm a liberal bastard, but Wife and I were seated between 2 groups of Prius-driving, NPR-listening olds who kept "uh huh"-ing and/or groaning loudly every time someone on screen said something outrageous (e.g. Schmidt from New Girl talking about how he'll give a mortgage to anyone and doesn't give a shit and the olds are all groaning loudly like they're disapprovingly watching a Donald Trump stump speech), so that was annoying.

Saw The Big Short last weekend and thought it was entertaining, and acted and directed with a lot of energy, but I didn't love it. I'm a liberal bastard, but Wife and I were seated between 2 groups of Prius-driving, NPR-listening olds who kept "uh huh"-ing and/or groaning loudly every time someone on screen said something outrageous (e.g. Schmidt from New Girl talking about how he'll give a mortgage to anyone and doesn't give a shit and the olds are all groaning loudly like they're disapprovingly watching a Donald Trump stump speech), so that was annoying.

Contrary to other stereotypes, old people are straight up the WORST in movie theaters. If they're not verbally agreeing or disagreeing with everything, they're asking each other questions about the plot, or they're just asking what the hell just happened because they can't hear shit.

Just watched "Goodnight Mommy", and it was good. Not nearly as weird or "extreme" as it's made out to be. The dread rachets up nicely for those with the patience for it, but the payoff was disappointing IMO.

Watched "Le Weekend" on amazon prime all fucked up last night. Interesting indie about an older british couple who go to Paris to celebrate their anniversary while their relationship is in turmoil. Jeff Goldblum has a great part as the uber successful, narcissistic American friend who bumps into them and invites them to a dinner party. If you dont like watching movie where people are arguing or in a bad mood, skip it.

I really tried to love Hateful 8 but just couldn't. Brevity is the soul of wit and all that. Best Sam Jackson role in a long time however.

True, just felt like this one could have been done in 2+ hours rather than 3+. I didn't feel like Inglourious Basterds was as drawn out, for example.

I like Tarantino and thought Hateful 8 was his weakest film. I kind of hate that he's become obsessed with westerns.

Just finished Sicario. Pretty great flick. Even though I could pause it, I felt like I was in the theater and didn't want to leave for the bathroom.

Just watched Cloud Atlas, after having finished the novel last night. I enjoyed the film. I thought it did an excellent job of jumping throughout the stories and reinforcing the connectedness of all the lines. I will say I enjoyed the book more than the movie, but the movie is definitely worth a watch, with or without having read the book.

It's not everyday you see a cast with the star power of Val Kilmer, Christian Slater, and L L Cool J. Throw in Finnish auteur Renny Harlin and you're guaranteed a thrill a minute classic like Mindhunters.

Watched The Man from U.N.C.L.E. tonight. Definitely worth my time and very Guy Ritchie. Are they planning on making more? The ending seemed to leave that door open.

Back