• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Went to Gone Girl last night. Definitely worth it, and one that I will watch again when it comes to netflix.

Watched a pretty terrific movie last night. The How Did This Get Made Podcast just did an episode that I haven't listened to yet, but was scrolling around Netflix yesterday and saw Monkey Shines an gave it a watch. The move is HILARIOUS. Couldn't really tell if it was intentionally silly or just really really bad. If you don't know what the movie is, you should Google it to get a plot synopsis.

Watched a pretty terrific movie last night. The How Did This Get Made Podcast just did an episode that I haven't listened to yet, but was scrolling around Netflix yesterday and saw Monkey Shines an gave it a watch. The move is HILARIOUS. Couldn't really tell if it was intentionally silly or just really really bad. If you don't know what the movie is, you should Google it to get a plot synopsis.

discdude has been telling me to watch that for years. I saw it on Netflix the other night and stopped for two seconds to consider then kept going. Maybe one day....

Saw Birdman last Friday.

Great movie. Not excellent, but great. 8/10 easy.

Great performances by Keaton, Stone and Watts. Norton was my fav part of the movie though, he was tremendous.

Still a little confused about one angle, but we can wait to have that discussion once more people have seen.

Saw Citizenfour last night. The reviews claimed it was a thriller but it was hardly one unless you didn't know Snowden's story at all. The director though did a great job at humanizing Snowden and conveying exactly why Snowden did what he did. However I wish they conveyed the other side to make the film more objective.

My watching experience was hindered by this fat old dude in a KISS shirt who was wheezing very loudly the whole movie though. Dude even fell asleep multiple times. Hard to pay attention to the film especially since I saw it in a very small theater that was almost empty.

John Wick was fun. VHS:Viral was pretty bad, but there was one good vignette. The Babadook is a pretty good horror movie.

Watched Neighbors last night On Demand (Seth Rogen, Rose Byrne, Zac Effron). Pretty good. Would recommend.

Interstellar. Big, bold, beautiful, exposition heavy, corny dialogue, tries to tackle a number of weighty subjects; life, love, misery, grief, death, time, etc. It's Nolan cranked up to 11, some sequences are staggeringly emotional, Zimmer's score is breathtaking. Saw it in 35mm, it was a movie going experience that is rarely possible anymore. Will see it again in IMAX to get the full effect of Zimmer's score and the breadth of Nolan's vision. Not the best movie of the year, even though Nolan has put everything he has into it, but it's an experience that everyone should take, preferably on the format Nolan intended it to be seen in.

Interstellar. Big, bold, beautiful, exposition heavy, corny dialogue, tries to tackle a number of weighty subjects; life, love, misery, grief, death, time, etc. It's Nolan cranked up to 11, some sequences are staggeringly emotional, Zimmer's score is breathtaking. Saw it in 35mm, it was a movie going experience that is rarely possible anymore. Will see it again in IMAX to get the full effect of Zimmer's score and the breadth of Nolan's vision. Not the best movie of the year, even though Nolan has put everything he has into it, but it's an experience that everyone should take, preferably on the format Nolan intended it to be seen in.

Was Nolan influenced at all by Cuaron?

Also, is it better than "Sapce Cowboys"?

Was Nolan influenced at all by Cuaron?

Also, is it better than "Sapce Cowboys"?

No influence from Cuaron, as i imagine this was well into production by the time Gravity hit. This is more substantial than that flick, not as innovative (nearly everything here that he could Nolan shot without CGI, which is refreshing), but at nearly three hours packs a whole lot in, most of which I really liked.

As for Space Cowboys, this is a question only RJ can answer.

Watched The Wild Bunch the other night. Wasn't crazy about the plot but the acting and directing were fantastic.

I'm through 20 films on the AFI top 100 and here is how I rank them so far (watched The Apartment and The Wild Bunch out of order due to a Netflix screwup):

Pulp Fiction
12 Angry Men
Goodfellas
Platoon
Blade Runner
Toy Story
The Last Picture Show
The Sixth Sense
Do the Right Thing
The Wild Bunch
Sophie's Choice
Swing Time
A Night at the Opera
Spartacus
Titanic
Easy Rider
Ben-Hur
Bringing Up Baby
The French Connection
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Sunise: A Song of Two Humans

I have been changing the order almost every time I slot in a new movie.

I did the AFI thing several years back and it's a worthwhile way to make the most of your Netflix membership. I think that as you get through more of them, you'll have a heightened appreciation for the art of movie making in general and also be able to view the older films within their context and the time they were made. With the exception of 12 Angry Men, your list is pretty top heavy with movies from the last 20-30 years. Granted, I didn't think much of Yankee Doodle Dandy either.

I did the AFI thing several years back and it's a worthwhile way to make the most of your Netflix membership. I think that as you get through more of them, you'll have a heightened appreciation for the art of movie making in general and also be able to view the older films within their context and the time they were made. With the exception of 12 Angry Men, your list is pretty top heavy with movies from the last 20-30 years. Granted, I didn't think much of Yankee Doodle Dandy either.

I have been trying to help my girlfriend view them in the context and time of when they were released but I just couldn't do it for Sunrise. That movie was horrendously boring.

I only have a couple movies left from after 1990 so I think my order by year should start to randomize a little more. The only two on my list that I'm positive will be in the top 10 when I am finished are Pulp Fiction and 12 Angry Men.

Back