• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Rififi was next in line, actually, because it was on the next line. Heard good things.

I bailed on Italian Job -- nothing against it, it wasn't my mood and I don't think I tend to go for those types of movies too often in the first place. I had never seen it, but I think I forgot that it was like a pretty light comedy sexy time romp adventure thing. Would have had no problem finishing it if I didn't have the power right at my fingertips.

I very much enjoyed Lumet's Deadly Affair, but got kind of bored with Murder on the Orient Express a few weeks ago, but I was probably tired and my attention span has been trash lately. I have Dog Day Afternoon sitting around here somewhere, which I've never seen. I have been on a bit of a Richard Burton kick, so curious about Equus, though it's not on Criterion. But yeah, a few of the others on there look cool.

Dog Day is the best Lumet of that bunch imo

You watch any of those KR flicks? Wendy & Lucy or Meek’s Cutoff seem like Chupeflix

Haven't yet, but I've got a week and plan on knocking a few things out; I'll throw one of those in over the next couple of days. I saw one of them described as "emotionally wrenching," or something, and I have to be a little careful about which emotions I wrench and how tight these days.

Haven't yet, but I've got a week and plan on knocking a few things out; I'll throw one of those in over the next couple of days. I saw one of them described as "emotionally wrenching," or something, and I have to be a little careful about which emotions I wrench and how tight these days.

Stick with Meek's Cutoff, then. Wendy & Lucy is p emotional imo

My wife and I watched Saving Private Ryan last night. She had never seen it.

Such a great great movie that makes you feel a lot of things. I don’t think I’ve watched start to finish since I’ve been married and definitely not since my son was born.

Hits differently.

With everything that is going on around us, I might suggest re-watching (or watching for the first time) the Oscar winning documentary, Searching For Sugarman. It has some sadness about what if, but is overwhelmingly positive about the human spirit overcoming unimaginable disappointment to an ultimate victory for a nation and an artist.

i have been struggling to find movies the last few weeks +, so the wife and I have been digging into old Disney movies. it's funny..I couldn't sit through Sonic (roughly 15 minutes) or Fantasy Island (maybe 20 minutes) and have no desire for the Bloodshot crap, but the old Disney movies from 60s or 70s are watchable. My wife had seen them but i had not...

Maybe a little different vibe, but NYU is hosting its annual orphan film symposium, with showings at 10am, 2pm, and 6 pm daily until the 28th. Started this morning. No registration required or fee or anything.

https://wp.nyu.edu/orphanfilm/orphans-2020/

But currently tech difficulties! Ha. Of course.

And the current presentation is just about how we are destroying the planet and not an actual film. So maybe later screenings will be more film-centric. Anyway. We're destroying the planet. People are a terrible species.

The cloud is not clean! Just a reminder how much energy all this streaming and storage actually takes, how much waste it generates. Dang.

Last edited:
With everything that is going on around us, I might suggest re-watching (or watching for the first time) the Oscar winning documentary, Searching For Sugarman. It has some sadness about what if, but is overwhelmingly positive about the human spirit overcoming unimaginable disappointment to an ultimate victory for a nation and an artist.

Would you please stop with the Sugarman shit ?

Could you say more about this?

I just kind of took in this presentation and don't think I could do it justice, but it will be posted at some point in the Orphan Film Symposium site. Linda Tadic's talk during the 2pm session today; she was the first presenter -- it was straightforward power point stuff of a lot of numbers, but I think touches on something that is easy to forget in this streaming digi-world.

Just a rundown of the energy and environmental costs of the move to digital and of the different approaches. I think it's important to not lose sight of the fact that since we probably generate less physical waste immediately around us with fewer analog items, less packaging, trash, etc., there is still a (big) cost. It's not necessarily neutral. I need to rewatch, my attention was divided among the presentation and the Bundesliga and the boards.

I watched A Serious Man last night for the first time. Not sure how that one had slipped by me, but it was amazing!

BTW, from the other thread...The Man Who Would Be King is a good movie.

Yeah, really dug it.

Also, my brain is failing -- I watched Paths of Glory for the first time last night, too. Holy shit. Great movie. I think that guy knows what he's doing! Fun to compare that with 1917: in short, there is no comparison, they occupy different levels of movie making. 1917 was fine: well crafted, competently performed, interesting technical achievement, hits some emotional spots but all straightforwardly, a fine film going experience for me, perfectly acceptable; Paths of Glory is something that will bang around forever, in different spaces in one's brain, attach itself into one's code and become part of what one might pass down generations and be left as the residual remains of one in the universe.

Watched The Lovebirds over the long weekend. Compelling leads, decently funny, but I think I liked it more the first time I saw it when it was called Date Night.

Back