• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Got suckered into seeing Tag last night. I thought it could be really funny. The problem with over-the-top comedies is that if you hesitate they don't work. You have to be ridiculous and nearly constantly ridiculous. There were good moments but wait until it's on Netflix or TV.

I liked it but it took me a little while to get invested so I could see watching it at home being a hindrance to your enjoyment.

I should probably give it another chance someday because yes watching it over two nights while passing an infant back and forth with my wife wasn't really the way to watch this movie

Hotel Artemis was a decent premise but the execution was pretty average. Definitely worth a streaming view but it's not even close to a John Wick-Continental Hotel level movie.

Got suckered into seeing Tag last night. I thought it could be really funny. The problem with over-the-top comedies is that if you hesitate they don't work. You have to be ridiculous and nearly constantly ridiculous. There were good moments but wait until it's on Netflix or TV.

vs03m7xq2gstyxsaboar.jpg

I saw Ocean's 8. It was serviceable and enjoyable but wasn't up to the Clooney franchise.

Although Elliot Gould had a one scene part, this movie missed having legends like Gould and Carl Reiner in the cast. The obvious chemistry between Pitt, Clooney, Damon and Cheadle have didn't exist in this cast. Maybe it could grow, but it wasn't there.

This. Saw Tag last night. Some moments were lol, tears in my eyes funny. But the pacing was bad. Laugh your ass off then 15 minutes of bland conversation or lazy writing then hilariously funny again then more downtime then redundant stunt jokes by the end of the film. Reinforces my belief that film editing is a lost art.

Not a movie I've seen, nor a movie I'll ever see, but something is fishy with Gotti.

It's sitting at a solid 0% critic's score on RT. However, the audience score is around 70%. The movie then started marketing this fact to say "Audiences love Gotti but critics don't." One of the ScreenJunkies guys dug a little deeper to find that Gotti had a number of audience reviews (around 7k) that wasn't too much less than Incredibles 2 had (8k). Clearly someone is stuffing the ballot box on this. Some suspect Scientologists. I think it's most the work of MoviePass, who owns a stake of Gotti. A lot of the Gotti user reviews came from people that created an account in the past month and those that reviewed a second movie (mostly only did Gotti) did so for American Animals, of which MP also has some sort of ownership.

https://www.cnet.com/news/gotti-rotten-tomatoes-score-sure-looks-out-of-whack/

AMC announced their MoviePass competitor. $20/month. http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/20/media/amc-monthly-subscription/index.html

I know I'm late to the party, but "The Disaster Artist" is a movie all should see. I'm not sure what Tommy Wiseau's condition is, and knowing would probably spoil the fun. Instead, he comes off as just a genuinely authentic, bizarre person.

I know I'm late to the party, but "The Disaster Artist" is a movie all should see. I'm not sure what Tommy Wiseau's condition is, and knowing would probably spoil the fun. Instead, he comes off as just a genuinely authentic, bizarre person.

IRL, he’s the rjkarl of the wake boards

Jurassic World is exactly what I expected. Same formula as the first JW, incredibly predictable, lots of destruction which is cool/fun/entertaining for a minute but nothing earth shattering. Not sure how many times you can keep making the same plot over and over, but here we are.

Jurassic World was very good. Probably the best sequel but really it only had to beat out Jurassic World for that title as the other two were laughably bad. The one scene (you know what it is) is likely the best one from the series and was pretty amazing with the references and emotion portrayed within. Make no mistake, this is a summer blockbuster through & through so it's not going to satiate the art film crowd but for what it is, the movie excelled a lot.

I had grand plans to do three double-features this weekend for the Carolina Theatre's Retro ArtHouse Series, but ended up just seeing three: The Long Goodbye (Altman), To Live and Die in LA (Friedkin), and Persona (Bergman). I dropped Tarkovsky's Sacrifice, Sansho the Bailiff, and Koyaanisqatsi.

The Long Goodbye is up there with Miller's Crossing for my all-time favorite. Elliot Gould is my favorite unlikely movie star and is the perfect slacker hero.

To Live and Die in LA was ok, I liked it a lot better when I was a kid. It is VERY 80s, and has some serious cheesy/unintentionally funny/cringey scenes and dialogue and sequences. Still some good stuff, more intentional humor than I remembered, and isn't afraid to take some chances. Petersen, Dafoe, and Turturro are all really good. But yeah, hasn't aged all that well.

Persona is the first Bergman I've ever seen and holy shit. It was amazing. I can't really do it justice in a post.

Last edited:
I finally got around to watching Baby Driver. The only thing I can think is that the praise for that movie on here came through ATL-tinted glasses or something. The first 30 minutes are LOL BAD. Bad characters, bad dialogue, just bad everything except driving. The driving and the chick from Downton Abbey are the only good things about this movie. Oh, that and how they incorporated (and sometimes forced) sounds from the world into the music they were playing. Otherwise, not a recommended movie. It was only $2.99 on PPV at this point, but I should've waited until it hit the premium channels. Waste of $3. Should've gone with my gut and assumed that anything with such a stupid title would not be must-see-movie material.

he's right though, Baby Driver was not good, mostly due to the acting, which was indeed pretty bad

as I've said before, maybe on here: A+ idea, C- execution

no worries, basically everyone else who watches movies disagrees with those two dumb takes.

Back