• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

I finally got to see Mother! and it went straight to the top of my "Dafuq did I just watch?" list. It had some interesting choices for cinematography and Aronofsky asked a LOT of JLaw (over half the movie was a closeup of her) and she delivered. I've never been all that onboard her hype train, especially after her X-Men movies but dang, for this she impressed.

Fair warning before you bring it back from Red Box, it's 100% allegorical and if you're looking for a simple popcorn movie, this ain't it.

Oh, I should add, I did rather like it. Aronofsky is in my Hall of Fame (despite Noah) and Mother! only cemented that status for me.

Aronofsky is the fucking man. He could direct an airplane safety instruction video and it would be more interesting than half the shit in theaters.

JLaw might not ever do better than Winter’s Bone. Still one of favorite films of the last decade.

"Mission Impossible - Fallout" getting big time reviews. An 85 on Metacritic is top tier for action movies.

I think I've enjoyed them all as they all seem to have different takes on the source material, but in the latter ones they've become just a vehicle for Tom Cruise Action Star as opposed to heist movie type vibe that the old TV shows were

I think I've enjoyed them all as they all seem to have different takes on the source material, but in the latter ones they've become just a vehicle for Tom Cruise Action Star as opposed to heist movie type vibe that the old TV shows were

7s2dfdt.jpg

People are either going to love Sorry to Bother You or hate it. It is weird as fuck. It is Scott Pilgrim Saves the World meets Get Out.

I did not really care for the second half. I get that it is a metaphor, yadda yadda yadda, but I did not enjoy the second half.

I suspect, based on the RT reviews, that people are going to say they love this and it is genius and all that jazz. The Emperor’s New Clothes. And maybe it will be that I am in the minority’s for not loving it.

I will say, the audience was decidedly not white. And watching a movie with that crowd is a much more interactive movie experience than otherwise, haha.

People are either going to love Sorry to Bother You or hate it. It is weird as fuck. It is Scott Pilgrim Saves the World meets Get Out.

Count me among the latter. It's not that I hated it because it was "weird", I hated it because I was bored. Like, out of my skull bored, as in when a scene started, my wish for it eventually was "hopefully someone puts a gun to Stanfield's or Hammer's head, pulls the trigger and we can all go home." One thing I'm going to ruminate on - has any movie had a trailer that was more deceptive about the actual movie. Maybe Suicide Squad.

So after two consecutive non-traditional movies ("Mother!" being the other) I was ready for a straightforward linear plot where what you see on the screen is simply what happened in the story, no more allegories please. So I saw "Leave No Trace" which was fantastic. Maybe not the happy feel good story of the summer, rarely is that the case about a character with PTSD, but very emotional. The leads, Ben Foster and Thomasin McKenzie, were both great. 100% on RT, but then again, STBY has a 95% RT score, so ymmv.

Really enjoyed Incredibles 2. Some great additions to the voice cast and a nice expansion of other supers without overdoing it.

So Sorry to Bother You was less funny than I thought it'd be. There were a few moments I chuckled, but for the most part, it was just sort of amusing from a satirical perspective rather than laugh out loud funny.

The second half will make or break the movie for folks, I assume, but it led to Tessa Thompson's "maybe the artist was being literal", which was a p great line read. She was so good in that movie, everything else aside. Not sure I "got" the repeated earrings close-ups (the movie seemed to take a beat, expecting audiences to laugh I guess? I dunno).

Back