• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

DeNiro's performance in Taxi Driver was so good it launched two oscar winning careers

Have y'all seen Nightcrawler? Even though I'm pretty sure I won't agree with mdmh, I'll wait until I've seen the performance in question before telling him he's wrong.

Your strange and arbitrary criteria aside it's absurd to compare the two performances and put Gyllenhaal on top. DeNiro's performance in Taxi Driver is widely considered one of the greatest in cinema history.

I don't know why you're incapable of simply disagreeing with something without trying to tear it down. (*edit) Are are you simply reducing my review to "Nightcrawler is better than Taxi Driver" and reacting?

Sociopath
noun, Psychiatry.
a person with a psychopathic personality whose behavior is antisocial, often criminal, and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.

There was nothing arbitrary about my distinction, and nothing random about my comparison to Taxi Driver, nearly every major review of Nightcrawler references it.

Last edited:
Trying to watch Sex Tape and I can't accurately describe how unfunny it is. I have realized that Jason Segal is completely the product of screen writing, good or bad.

Meh, probably too low, but I think Part II is better, and I didn't really want to put both in the top 15, nor have three Coppola flicks so high on the list.

Agreed that Part II is better. Part I is close, and Part III is not close.

You bros have any recommendations on literature for learning more about cinema/movie-making and/or the classics? I've been trying to expand my knowledge on the subject through actually, you know, watching the movies.. but wondering if there is additional material out there. I never had the opportunity to take any film studies classes; what does the curriculum typically look like outside of watching movies?

So I saw John Wick recently. It is not exactly a cinema classic but if you are a fan of action movies it is a must-see. Keanu gets back to what he does best, which is not saying much and killing people without an afterthought. Some of the fight scenes are incredible.. the cinematography and soundtrack are top notch and there a few great performances from some notable actors that I was surprised were in it. I haven't left a theater that satisfied in a long time considering just how skeptical I was walking in to it.

So I saw John Wick recently. It is not exactly a cinema classic but if you are a fan of action movies it is a must-see. Keanu gets back to what he does best, which is not saying much and killing people without an afterthought. Some of the fight scenes are incredible.. the cinematography and soundtrack are top notch and there a few great performances from some notable actors that I was surprised were in it. I haven't left a theater that satisfied in a long time considering just how skeptical I was walking in to it.

I hooked up with a girl who was a producer on that flick. Ah, good memories of that one.

I took an intro to film class at Forsyth Tech years ago. It got me interested in cinema more.

You bros have any recommendations on literature for learning more about cinema/movie-making and/or the classics? I've been trying to expand my knowledge on the subject through actually, you know, watching the movies.. but wondering if there is additional material out there. I never had the opportunity to take any film studies classes; what does the curriculum typically look like outside of watching movies?
Here are a few I would recommend:
General Overview: The Cinema Book, Film Studies: An Introduction
Specific movements in film history: A History of the French New Wave Cinema
(One of my favorites) Men, Women, and Chainsaws
Easy Riders, Raging Bulls

I would also recommend checking out The Criterion Collection. They release films on DVD/BluRay that range between some of the greatest of all time, underseen gems, or classics that are in need of rescuing. Not only are the films absolutely amazing, but most of the discs come with a load of extras, making it basically film school in a box. Here are a few I would suggest as good entry points, and that would supplement the readings provided above:

Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Stagecoach (General Overview)
Breathless, The 400 Blows (French New Wave)
Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby, Eyes Without a Face (Horror)

Here are a few I would recommend:
General Overview: The Cinema Book, Film Studies: An Introduction
Specific movements in film history: A History of the French New Wave Cinema
(One of my favorites) Men, Women, and Chainsaws
Easy Riders, Raging Bulls

I would also recommend checking out The Criterion Collection. They release films on DVD/BluRay that range between some of the greatest of all time, underseen gems, or classics that are in need of rescuing. Not only are the films absolutely amazing, but most of the discs come with a load of extras, making it basically film school in a box. Here are a few I would suggest as good entry points, and that would supplement the readings provided above:

Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Stagecoach (General Overview)
Breathless, The 400 Blows (French New Wave)
Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby, Eyes Without a Face (Horror)

Awesome! Thanks a bunch. I had a hunch you might come through with some good stuff.

For anyone who doesn't want to drop 30 for every Criterion film, they are all streaming on Hulu plus.

Had you seen Art of the Steal before? Very Philly.

I didn't like Snowpiercer, but I saw it about two hours after I got dumped when I was supposed to go with the woman who dumped me. I was not in a good mood -- the most memorable experience from the theater was seeing Rasheed Wallace at the snack counter, he was not in Snowpiercer with me.

I did like Tinker Tailor -- watched that the other week.

Back