• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Dune was cool on HBO Max. I had to crank it up to hear anything though, which meant I had to turn off my subwoofer so it wouldn't shake down the neighborhood. Never read the book, but saw the Lynch version in the theater way back in 84 and a few times since then and this one definitely makes more sense, so there is that. CGI and visuals are great. I didn't realize that this was planned as just the first film, however, so the lack of resolution was a bit unexpected.

Dune was pretty sweet. Had the house to myself - pulled up a chair right in front of my tv and cranked the headphones to max volume. Read the book earlier this year so thought it was a pretty good adaptation, at least until the point in the story it got to. The little ‘Part One’ in the title screen is an understatement - movie just kind of stops rather than having any real natural narrative break

I liked Dune as well, but the shields thing, did they do that as an homage to the 90s movie or was it supposed to be cool?

I was worried I had a problem locally with Dune's sound. I spent some time trying to diagnose and fix but other HBO offerings had regular volume. I'm sort of relieved to see I wasn't the only one with that issue.

I got through about 20 minutes of Dune and thought it merited watching in a theater, especially after skimming some reviews that specifically praised sound and visuals. So I stopped and will catch it at an IMAX showing hopefully this coming week.

Can't find the trailer one, but I thought this trailer was good

so does Andy live in a crazy future world where we got hyperspace travel and interaction with aliens?

I'm not really into the Buzz Lightyear character, and I somehow still got chills during that trailer.

My 3yo son is going to lose his shit about that one. He's going to be an astronaut for Halloween.

i assumed it was/is the TV/movie universe the Buzz toy is from

Yeah, it's apparently about the "actual" guy that inspired the Buzz Lightyear toy. At least, that's the story Pixar is running with to explain why Tim Allen (noted Trumper) is not voicing him. Instead, he's replaced by captain everything, Chris Evans.

Ah. That makes sense. This is a biopic of the astronaut that spawned the Buzz Lightyear toy and brand. So the real Buzz Lightyear is as real as Andy or Andy’s mom and there’s no Zurg.

How can you not have Tim Allen voice Buzz? Sheez. I wonder if Spanish Buzz will be voicing the Spanish language version for the foreign release.

I really enjoyed Dune. I thought it did a fantastic job of hitting the more complicated aspects of the book without over-explaining every little thing. That was my biggest concern going in given that Frank Herbert's writing style takes you into the minds of everyone in the room at any given time. Not having a voiceover and still being able to relay the intentions/thoughts of the characters without them just blurting or going on long monologs was probably what I was most impressed with from a writing/acting standpoint.

The visuals and sound were incredible. On par with Interstellar as far as IMAX-worthy films. 90% of the time I leave IMAX theaters disappointed, but this is as good as it gets. Probably not a coincidence that space and the desert both lend themselves to scaling via wide shots, but Dune did a great job with it and making everything appear larger than life.

Minor Gripes:

At first I was little taken out of it by all of the comic book movie actors, but then I realized that if you nixed every current actor that has been in a comic book movie there would hardly be anyone left.

My only complaint, and it isn't really one, but the soundtrack constantly berated you with tribal scores and chants. I get what they were going for, and one or two would have been nice, but I just thought they over used it.

My final thought is that when your dad has a badass name like "Lato Atreidis", you've got to be pretty pissed that he just called you "Paul". I'm sure it's got some biblical undertone, but it still took me out of both the book and movie at times. I mean, come on Frank, you've got names that roll off the tongue like Leto Atreides, Vladamir Harkonnen, Duncan Idaho, Gurney Hallek, and then there is...Paul. Kills me.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Dune, but it's not a stand alone movie... It's just the (very long) beginning of more Dune movies.

But I did like it. And so did my wife and she's about as meh as it gets on SciFi as a genre.

Watched it at home... Definitely think it'd been a better experience in the theater.

Yeah, it's apparently about the "actual" guy that inspired the Buzz Lightyear toy. At least, that's the story Pixar is running with to explain why Tim Allen (noted Trumper) is not voicing him. Instead, he's replaced by captain everything, Chris Evans.

I mean, not every Lightyear character has to have Tim Allen’s voice, but I hope his politics aren’t the reason he’s not involved - he’s a good comedic actor and an excellent voice actor.

Last edited:
Back