• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
Compilation thread for all non-marvel film talk.

Post 1: Finally saw Oculus and i'm really excited about it, it's probably the best mind fuck horror film i've seen since Triangle. I went into it with low expectations because the synopsis of "adult siblings plan to destroy a mirror and the malevolent force within in it that killed their parents" is fairly hokey. The film succeeds by spinning the "reality tv ghost hunter" and "amityville family tragedy" tropes together, and using the psychological confusion as the scare element.

As for the traditional horror movie meters: there are very few cheap jump scares, the acting is decent, and there is a constant atmosphere of dread and forboding. If you are invested, Oculus keeps you on the edge of your seat until the end. It's an awesome flick for those who can enjoy a "what the fuck is going on?!" plot.

Related note - Starbuck from Battlestar plays the hot redhead mom, and Nebula from GOTG plays the hot adult redhead daughter.

Last edited:
Just saw "As Above So Below" and it was terrible. Way too many criticisms to mention - it's probably the worst movie i've seen all year.

That sucks. I was hoping it would be The Descent-lite.
Not even close. The premise is awesome - finding the gate to hell in the Paris catacombs, but they completely wasted it. It's more like a shitty National Treasure with lame haunted house set pieces.

If you're looking for "The Descent-lite", you should check out a new movie called "Beneath" that's streaming on-demand right now. It's a psychological horror/slasher flick set in a collapsed mine.

Last edited:
If you like low budget talkie sci-fi a la Primer... Coherence is a good movie to catch.

Ill second coherence, that movie made my head hurt in an awesome kind of way. I bet that entire movie was filmed for a 100 grand and it was a great scifi movie

I saw Locke last night and really enjoyed it. It's essentially a one man show for Tom Hardy, as the entire film is him driving and talking on the phone. With a lesser actor it wouldn't work but Hardy knocks it out of the park and it ends up being far more tense and compelling than 90 minutes of a guy driving down the highway should be.

I saw Locke last night and really enjoyed it. It's essentially a one man show for Tom Hardy, as the entire film is him driving and talking on the phone. With a lesser actor it wouldn't work but Hardy knocks it out of the park and it ends up being far more tense and compelling than 90 minutes of a guy driving down the highway should be.

I 2nd this, Hardy is great in that role and keeps you engrossed throughout. I watched it the other night and really enjoyed it, but had trouble explaining it to my wife who didn't see it, "So Tom Hardy is in a car the entire movie, talking on the phone about concrete?"

I watched a few movies over the last few days.

The Lone Survivor - Great stuff; very Peter Berg-like. At the beginning I felt like I was watching Friday Night Lights with Marines instead of high school football players. Very good performances all around.

Out of the Furnace - Good cast and acting. Script was not very traditional Hollywood. Interesting and worth a watch, but probably not for everyone.

Muppets Most Wanted - Another very fun Muppets movie, but like they themselves point out in the intro song, not quite as good as the previous one.

I 2nd this, Hardy is great in that role and keeps you engrossed throughout. I watched it the other night and really enjoyed it, but had trouble explaining it to my wife who didn't see it, "So Tom Hardy is in a car the entire movie, talking on the phone about concrete?"

Have started this movie twice in the last week and fell asleep both times. I've heard it was really good and it wasn't boring, just very tired.

Plan to finish it tonight.

Watched World War Z last night. I'm glad we won. spoiler.

Watched "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" on bluray last night and it was awesome. The underlying culture war theme is a little too on the nose, but it doesn't matter because the acting and screen play is so subtle and well done. You genuinely connect with every character in the story at one time or another, even Nurse Ratchet. On that note, Jack Nicholson's run from '65 - '80 has to be one of the greatest. 5 Easy Pieces, Easy Rider, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Chinatown, and The Shining!

Last edited:
A Most Wanted Man was pretty engaging.
I didn't like it quite as much as
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
PSH, as usual, made the film.
RIP

Watched Oculus last night because of the OP and I'll second its greatness. Easily one of the best horror movies I've seen in a looong time. It definitely borrowed heavily from The Shining, but I wish more horror films would. This one was done right.

Saw a few movies on my recent flights.

Godzilla - Not good, but at least it was different than I was expecting.
Chef - Fluffy good. I thought it was really enjoyable.
Space Station 76 - Not great, not horrible. Some funny parts.
Bad Words - Didn't get to see the last 10 minutes, but overall it's ok, though there are some pretty funny moments.
Noah - It was fine. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it, but it was fine.
Ride Along - Woof. A few funny moments, but overall pretty terrible.

Back