• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

wonder woman '84 was terrible

Agreed. I thought the first WW movie was great, and was really disappointed with the sequel. I was looking forward to all the 80s pop culture references like "Stranger Things" did so well, but other than a few scenes the movie could easily have been set in modern times. A real mess of a movie, and it wasted Pedro Pascal.

Saw The Mighty Ducks for the first time. My 8 year old wanted to see it. Pretty funny to see him get sucked into basic 90s/sports movie tropes. Early in the movie, he said “It doesn’t look as old as I thought it would for an early 90s movie.”

Saw The Mighty Ducks for the first time. My 8 year old wanted to see it. Pretty funny to see him get sucked into basic 90s/sports movie tropes. Early in the movie, he said “It doesn’t look as old as I thought it would for an early 90s movie.”

for the FIRST TIME?!

also, recently watched Wolfwalkers on Apple+ and it's pretty great; the other two movies by the same director are also very well done, Secret of the Kells and Song of the Sea. Especially Song of the Sea, moved my 5 yr old to tears at the end. "Dad, why are my eyes watering?"

I got around to Midnight Sky. It filled me with a sense of "bleh".

I watched Possessor over the weekend and really enjoyed it; good sci-fi/dystopian thriller with some pretty interesting visuals. I think a re-watch or two would help pull some things together you might miss in the first viewing as it's got a lot going on like with Inception.

watched Bad Trip last night and holy shit is it funny. I laughed until I could barely breathe and my wife thought I was an idiot.

Finally watched Tenet. They really should've called it Inversion, but that would've been too close to Inception, I guess.

It hooked me right from the outset and was a cool idea and twist on the usual time travel thing, but required a stronger lead actor to pull it off, I think. Washington doesn't have the chops to pull off a lot of that dialogue, which, granted, is pretty ridiculous at times. And there is some really clunky writing-- like throwing in the conversation about the grandfather paradox just so he could interject in a conversation 15 min later, "The grandfather paradox," as a sign that he understood what was going on.

Overall it got me thinking, "Wait a sec," frequently in trying to figure out the countering timelines and how stuff that hadn't happened yet was going to happen. In that sense, the movie has rewatchability, but I have no desire to watch it again like I did with Inception. It's a cool concept, somewhat cooly pulled off, but in general I just kind of think the concept is easy to comprehend and I get the ending and don't particularly feel like scrambling my brain again for 2 1/2 hours.

Inversion would fit in with Nolan's "in" movies -- Inception, Interstellar, Insomnia

Saw a few things recently.

Wrath of Man - Thought it was a fun and clever movie, but I think my expectations were too high given how excited I was for Ritchie and Statham to team up again after all these years. It's not nearly as quirky as some of Ritchie's other movies like Lock Stock, Snatch, Uncle or Gentlemen, but I still enjoyed the shit out of it.

Cruella - Loved it. Thought it was really well done, and Emma Stone was fantastic. It was a really fun watch and I would defs recommend it.

Kid 90 - Documentary filmed by Soleil Moon Frye as a celeb teenager in LA in the early to mid 90s. Back then she filmed everything in her life with a camcorder so there is a lot of footage of her with other celebs from the time - this was before people were worried about the internet, so there's a lot of footage that would. As a 90s teenager I related to a lot of it and thought it was really fun and interesting. For those of you who didn't watch Punky Brewster as a kid you might not find it as entertaining, but we enjoyed it.

Watched two this weekend

Saint Maud - creepy slow burn in the vein of the Ari Aster films. Also reminded me of The Witch. Solid and was only about 90 minutes

Those Who Wish Me Dead - thought it was pretty bad. Was described as a 90s throwback thriller which I guess it was, but not particularly compelling

taking myself through French New Wave 101

Breathless and 400 Blows this weekend

Watched Judas and the Black Messiah this weekend. It was good but my expectations may have been too high.

Started rewatching Memento. Christopher Nolan has been all about that bullet inverting itself into the gun for decades, apparently.

Am finding that I like promos for 80s/90s movies much more than the movies themselves. But I can spend a half hour cycling through promos on Prime.

I watched Possessor over the weekend and really enjoyed it; good sci-fi/dystopian thriller with some pretty interesting visuals. I think a re-watch or two would help pull some things together you might miss in the first viewing as it's got a lot going on like with Inception.

I've been meaning to watch this one for awhile, but my partner isn't so into gore. How gory is it? I heard it's got vintage "body horror" vibes.

watched Bad Trip last night and holy shit is it funny. I laughed until I could barely breathe and my wife thought I was an idiot.

I had the same experience. I haven't laughed that hard at a movie in a really, really long time.

taking myself through French New Wave 101

Breathless and 400 Blows this weekend

Both of them are incredible. Breathless, especially. But it's pretty funny how "contemporary" both feel.

Back