• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

The Mrs. is on a girls' trip this weekend, which means that if the kids actually sleep, I get to watch movies. You can basically assume that I have not seen any blockbuster movies aside from the Joker and the recent marvel flick at any point over the last 6 years. What recommendations do you have?

Dunkirk
Knives Out
Get Out
Rogue One
The Last Jedi
Ex Machina

There are plenty more - those are just off the top of my head of "big" movies that aren't superhero movies.

Watched The Hunt over the weekend and thought it was pretty fun. A little over the top for sure, but a fun way to spend a couple of hours with a pitcher of margaritas.

I saw Greyhound recently. Yet another solid entry in the "Tom Hanks does WW2" subgenre. It was heavy on Navy protocols, I imagine some will find that not terribly thrilling but I dug it. The dark and grey photography with grey ships on a rainy ocean made the battle scenes difficult to follow.

This put me in a WW2 Navy mood so I followed Greyhound up with the newer Midway. It was a Roland Emmerich movie. Just like you know what you're going to get with a Tom Hanks WW2 flick, likewise with Emmerich. It was loud, it was dumb. I can honestly say I've seen Youtube videos that broke down the Midway battle that were far more thrilling than this movie. Watch those instead.

I saw that in 1976 (and a time or two since). Comparable to the Emmerich movie in most ways except even Emmerich avoided making it so much of a "yay 'murica" movie.

We just watched Battle of Britain recently and it is great. The aerial footage is pretty incredible for the time and a stacked cast. It's on Amazon Prime right now.

I saw the new Midway on a flight back in March. I didn't hate it. It's what Pearl Harbor should have been. It wasn't amazing by any stretch, but I thought it was fine enough.

I saw the international version of Red Cliff. Damn near 5 hours of it. If you can stand the John Woo style and really pretty common Chinese style actually of a guy spinning through the air 3 times and killing 10 people by the time he comes down, it’s worthwhile. Apart from the opening battle scene, it’s fairly toned down in that regard for the rest of the movie. Still a lot of dudes jumping and being thrown further than humanly possible, but the battle scenes are fairly epic. CGI seems minimized and sets look to be actually built, a la an old Hollywood film. Like a lot of Asian movies, there are sometimes things lost in the cultural translation and more melodrama than I’d prefer, but definitely worth checking out. They cut more than 2 hours off for a US domestic release. That is probably too much, but they could’ve cut an hour easily.

I saw that in 1976 (and a time or two since). Comparable to the Emmerich movie in most ways except even Emmerich avoided making it so much of a "yay 'murica" movie.

I mean, in terms of 'yay america' stuff, the Battle of Midway might be considered the US's greatest military triumph

I mean, in terms of 'yay america' stuff, the Battle of Midway might be considered the US's greatest military triumph

Yea. I went down a Midway rabbit hole after watching the new one because I didn't admittedly know much about the battle save for the fact that it was early in the war in the pacific. Knocking out 4 Japanese carriers while being undermanned and with less aircraft/slow dive bombers, and catching them off guard thanks to our code breakers, is pretty "murica fuck yea" as it gets. Those dive bomber pilots were amazingly brave.

Just to clarify, because of course Midway is one of our greatest military triumphs, at least new Midway portrayed the Japanese as relatable humans as opposed to old Midway which merely portrayed them as inscrutable enemies seeking only conquest.

Anyway, strip out all the human interest drama interjected by the movies and stick to tactical and strategic details (which the movies didn't) and it's a far more fascinating story. Heck, redo Midway in the style of Greyhound and you have an amazing WW2 movie.

DDA I hope in your Midway rabbit hole you saw the videos (parts 1 and 2) about Midway from the Japanese perspective. Check those out if not.

AppleTV+ picked up the next WW2 series from Spielberg/Hanks and it's gonna be about the strategic bombing campaign in Europe, which is a topic that greatly fascinates me. Probably the thing about WW2 that interests me the most.

Just to clarify, because of course Midway is one of our greatest military triumphs, at least new Midway portrayed the Japanese as relatable humans as opposed to old Midway which merely portrayed them as inscrutable enemies seeking only conquest.

Anyway, strip out all the human interest drama interjected by the movies and stick to tactical and strategic details (which the movies didn't) and it's a far more fascinating story. Heck, redo Midway in the style of Greyhound and you have an amazing WW2 movie.

DDA I hope in your Midway rabbit hole you saw the videos (parts 1 and 2) about Midway from the Japanese perspective. Check those out if not.

Link? Would love to see it if I haven't already!

AppleTV+ picked up the next WW2 series from Spielberg/Hanks and it's gonna be about the strategic bombing campaign in Europe, which is a topic that greatly fascinates me. Probably the thing about WW2 that interests me the most.

i mean, who doesn't love dashing bomber pilots, nose art and one of the sexiest aircraft of all time?:

lguia2002.jpg

Anybody got a great video about Pearl Harbor or the Bataan Death March from the Japanese point of view ?

Just watched The Cable Guy. If memory serves this came out after Ace Ventura, Dumb and Dumber, and The Mask and threw a lot of people for a loop as it’s pretty dark even though Jim Carrey still does Jim Carrey things. I really enjoyed it. Solid cast.

Rented Extra Ordinary from Amazon. It was silly, weird, and quite funny. I sought it out because of Maeve Higgins (and she delivers) - it also stars Will Forte.

Anybody got a great video about Pearl Harbor or the Bataan Death March from the Japanese point of view ?

perhaps not surprisingly there don't seem to be too many videos/interviews, which is a shame. I expected to see some clips of interviews from the mid-late 00's from some japanese vets but nothing.

japan has a long way to go compared to Germany on facing its early-mid 20th century demons

this would be a great place for any current History post-grads to dig in. there are probably a few guys around they could still interview and plenty of secret journals kept from that era they could use for books

Back