• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

I saw the international version of Red Cliff. Damn near 5 hours of it. If you can stand the John Woo style and really pretty common Chinese style actually of a guy spinning through the air 3 times and killing 10 people by the time he comes down, it’s worthwhile. Apart from the opening battle scene, it’s fairly toned down in that regard for the rest of the movie. Still a lot of dudes jumping and being thrown further than humanly possible, but the battle scenes are fairly epic. CGI seems minimized and sets look to be actually built, a la an old Hollywood film. Like a lot of Asian movies, there are sometimes things lost in the cultural translation and more melodrama than I’d prefer, but definitely worth checking out. They cut more than 2 hours off for a US domestic release. That is probably too much, but they could’ve cut an hour easily.

I wonder if longer films will become more common in this streaming era. It’s too much to ask people to sit and watch a 4+ hour film in theaters but it’s doable at home.

Watched 2019 Joker in the last few days on HBO max.

Wow--dark, dark, dark. Outstanding acting.

Not thrilled about the association of violent crime with mental illness. But kinda appreciate the message that we should support decent mental/public health services. Somehow I seem to recall from comic book days that the Joker was highly intelligent, not mentally ill...?

I wonder if longer films will become more common in this streaming era. It’s too much to ask people to sit and watch a 4+ hour film in theaters but it’s doable at home.

Yeah they just call it 12 episodes now.

I should add that it was the most expensive movie in Chinese history to that point and maybe still is. The problem with epics is that they are expensive. If anything, I expect Hollywood to move away from them until they make up the money lost from the pandemic.

We watched Harriet last night. Mediocre at best. Bad screenplay. I know you have to combine things a lot of times in historical biopic, but there was just way too much obviously made up shit in this one. 74%/97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

We watched Harriet last night. Mediocre at best. Bad screenplay. I know you have to combine things a lot of times in historical biopic, but there was just way too much obviously made up shit in this one. 74%/97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Wife and I watched it a couple of nights ago. Really surprised us how bad it is. Here's an example: Janelle Monae going all OG circa 1860.

Just watched The Cable Guy. If memory serves this came out after Ace Ventura, Dumb and Dumber, and The Mask and threw a lot of people for a loop as it’s pretty dark even though Jim Carrey still does Jim Carrey things. I really enjoyed it. Solid cast.

Talk about a movie that desperately needs a remake. The bones are good. Give it to Danny McBride and Paul Rudd...

Feels like even if Carrey had done something as small as ditch the lisp, it would've been received more positively.

Is there a greater moment in cinema than when Shadow comes limping over that horizon and into Peters arms?

Capone was not good. I mean, I knew what it was about going into it, but it still was a mess of a film.

I watched WarGames - the movie holds up suprisingly well. Not what i remembered as a kid.

Watched Jojo Rabbit last night & Peanut Butter Falcon tonight. Jojo Rabbit was pretty good but Peanut Butter Falcon was outstanding. After one viewing, it’s towards the top of my list.

Just watched Gremlins with my kids and I admit, I still liked it. Best part was seeing actors who I immediately recognized as an adult but had no idea of who there were as a kid. Judge Reinhold and Phoebe Cates are reunited, Corey Feldman has a role, and best of all Jonathan Banks with a full head of hair plays a dopey sheriff's deputy.

I saw "The Assistant" recently. It's a very well put together movie and I wasn't surprised at all to see the RT breakdown:

92% critics' score
25% audience

It's very, VERY slow going but has a couple of scenes that are the backbone of the movie. I can understand both scores but ultimately I'm siding with the critics on this.

Watching Zombie Shark on SYFY...holy cow. So bad I’m enjoying the badness. Can’t look away.

Good grief...this SYFY channel...now we have a tidal wave filled with zombies...

Lol

😱

Bill and Ted Face the Music? Most righteous dudes.

I LMAOd (or is past tense LdMAO?) many times. Very funny, very satisfying. I don't imagine anyone that liked the first two wouldn't like this. I also don't imagine anyone that didn't like the first two would like this. Since I'm in the former category, I found it totally non heinous.

Back