• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

I couldn't disagree more. I wanted to like The Drop so badly. I'm a huge Gandolfini fan and will see just about anything set in Brooklyn (i.e. Rob the Mob - so much better, IMO), but I just couldn't take any of the characters seriously and found the story pretty contrived (though, to be fair, I despise Dennis Lehane). People were laughing at the dialogue throughout in my theater. Tom Hardy's accent, too. What was going on there? I don't know.

Maybe I hated the movie more because I came in with such high expectations, but I just hated this movie.

The only good thing that I have to say about The Drop is that Gandolfini had a hell of a final act and if you're a pit bull lover, then this is your movie. Rocco is adorbz.

I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time and for some reason the ending choked me up a little.

The One I Love was great. It balanced two wildly divergent tones/themes (i.e. romantic comedy/melodrama meets The Twilight Zone), IMO, brilliantly.

Technically, this doesn't fit the parameters of the thread since I'm discussing "the movie you haven't seen yet but might". Tusk is coming out tonight. The only appeal it has to me is the torture of Justin Long. I feel too burned by Red State to have any confidence that Smith can make a non-(stoner based comedy) that's worth a damn.

The One I Love was great. It balanced two wildly divergent tones/themes (i.e. romantic comedy/melodrama meets The Twilight Zone), IMO, brilliantly.

I saw The One I Love last night. Pretty solid. Some of the dialogue is kinda corny, and they kinda fumble around with some of the plot splainin', but its a breezy 90 minutes so you dont have a ton of time to focus on the shortcomings. Overall a pretty successful effort with an interesting story and some decent acting.

I didnt realize that dude from the league had so many writing and directing credits. Pretty impressive for 37.

On another note, while it is somewhat depressing that most of the interesting, small to mid-budget movies have been abandoned by the studios and are now privately financed, I sort of dig that they come right to VOD. Saw The One I Love on VOD, and will probably end up seeing

The Zero Theorem
The Longest Week
The Skeleton Twins
The Guest
Oculus

All in this format in the next few weeks. Defs wanna see the Drop too.

I thought The Drop was fantastic. I can somewhat understand the boring criticism as it is definitely a slow burn, but I loved the heavy old school noire atmosphere and thought the performances were outstanding across the board. And yea, Rocco is scene stealingly adorable. The film snob in me really wants to criticize Lehane for using a cute puppy as cheap audience manipulation, but damn if it isn't effective.

I thought The Drop was fantastic. I can somewhat understand the boring criticism as it is definitely a slow burn, but I loved the heavy old school noire atmosphere and thought the performances were outstanding across the board. And yea, Rocco is scene stealingly adorable. The film snob in me really wants to criticize Lehane for using a cute puppy as cheap audience manipulation, but damn if it isn't effective.

The use of the dog was deeper than a mere audience friendly trick

The dogs breed and the Main character initially thinking it was a boxer...

Last edited:
Going through the AFI Top 100 and watched Swing Time, Platoon, and 12 Angry Men on Monday (no work). I had seen the latter two but Swing Time was a pleasant surprise. Ginger Rogers.....so hot. We skipped The Sixth Sense and Bringing Up Baby while waiting for Netflix to come so they are next on the list.

Finally watched my bluray of When Harry Met Sally after buying it a year ago. Billy Crystal had way more potential as a dramatic actor than his 80's comedy roles let on. Kinda sad that he wound up as a neurotic jew caricature. Does every couple that watches that film say, "Hey, that's us!"?

Just saw There's Something About Mary for the first time in years. An American classic.

I rewatched one of the most oft quoted movies on this board: Office Space.

So damn funny.

Back