• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Is it a requirement to say "it was tough to watch" after watching 12 Years a Slave?

The Historian in me kept questioning throughout but whatever, its an important movie and it needed to be made.

Is it a requirement to say "it was tough to watch" after watching 12 Years a Slave?

The Historian in me kept questioning throughout but whatever, its an important movie and it needed to be made.

questioning what

I'm confused. If it was documented as accurate, why is it over the top to portray it that way?

What I typed made no sense.

Fassbender is a combination of many stories and documented truths about some slave owners. For some people, 12 Years is what they think the entire Plantation world was like and that is a historical inaccuracy. I think that's probably the case with any historical movie.

What I typed made no sense.

Fassbender is a combination of many stories and documented truths about some slave owners. For some people, 12 Years is what they think the entire Plantation world was like and that is a historical inaccuracy. I think that's probably the case with any historical movie.

yeah like the girls who say they were raped but really just regretted the sex afterwards

Predestination - interesting for sci-fi fans if not totally coherent. Directed by the Sperig brothers whose last movie was also interesting, Daybreakers.

Over the past couple of days I saw these for the first time:

Pleasantville
Her
Sin City

In the last week I''ve seen: It Happened One Night, The Brood, The Hunger Games Mockingjay pt 1, The Great Escape, and The Cabin in the Woods.

The Brood was my favorite, a very suspenseful film that's super creepy, very well written, and the ending is terrific.

The Great Escape is as awesome the 4th viewing as the first, just realized what a boss that Richard Attenborough was. Seeing Blythe die always gets me in the feels.

It Happened One Night was terrific - the grandfather of every rom-com, yet it's still feels fresh

The Cabin In The Woods was really good

The Hunger Games 3 was terrible - Boring, terribly written, lazily acted. It's basically the bottle episode of the movie franchise, and it guarantees that the final film will be overwrought with violence.

Last edited:
Watched 'That Awkward Moment' on Sunday night. I found it very humorous, thought it did seem to drag in a few spots.

The Hunger Games 3 was terrible - Boring, terribly written, lazily acted. It's basically the bottle episode of the movie franchise, and it guarantees that the final film will be overwrought with violence.

I watched Jennifer Lawrence's breakout performance in Winter's Bone for the 3rd time, it was on some random TV channel. Her acting has gone downhill significantly. I feel like she sleepwalked through the XMen movie. Just a horrid performance.

How's Her and what did you think of SC/Pleasantville?

For Her, I thought Phoenix did a decent job, he was in every scene. The premise was interesting. It didn't really tug at my heart though, and not from poor performance, it just didn't. The dialogue was good and some of the conclusions about relationships were poignant I thought. Watched with significant other so I was in the mindset of relationship/chick flick.

Pleasantville was a lot of fun, how could a campy Witherspoon not be? It wasn't as awesome as I thought but it was hyped to me by family members for years so maybe I expected too much. Good Sunday afternoon cable fare.

Sin City was fucking killer. I don't know much about the genre but I was into it from the get and just went with it. Being new to that kind of thing I don't have much to compare it to but I totally bought in and thought it was a thrill ride. And the women are sexy as fuck.

I watched Jennifer Lawrence's breakout performance in Winter's Bone for the 3rd time, it was on some random TV channel. Her acting has gone downhill significantly. I feel like she sleepwalked through the XMen movie. Just a horrid performance.
I definitely agree about JLaw re: hunger games, she gave a terribly flat performance.

Did you guys READ Hunger Games? The final movies were never going to be all that great with the third book to go off of.

Saw it. Thought Boyhood and Nightcrawler were better. Didn't like the underlying message in that movie.

Part of what I loved is that I didn't think there was an underlying message. I thought you could take what was presented in two completely opposite ways and be justified in doing so.

Probably my favorite movie of the year.

Back