• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Saw A Quiet Place yesterday. Pretty solid. Would have been better if it had been set in Greensboro.

Last edited:
I did not care for Ready Player One. Saw it in an empty theater so maybe the humor didn't land like it might have in a crowded one.

some of those questions are dumb.

maybe they don't live by the waterfall because they're a) deeply affected/terrified that the planet has been conquered by sound-aliens - which may cause an overall hesitancy to act on anything unless absolutely necessary, b) there's no shelter to live in at the waterfall, c) constructing a new shelter at the waterfall would take a significant amount of time/effort - time/effort necessary to adapt to a way of living without previously existing social systems, d) we don't know when they found the waterfall, and e) constructing a new shelter at the waterfall would require a lot of movement to and from the farm, something the family already seems extremely hesitant about - likely due to (a) and the fact that they lost their son three months into the "invasion."

tldr - they don't move to the waterfall because if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

some of those questions are dumb.

maybe they don't live by the waterfall because they're a) deeply affected/terrified that the planet has been conquered by sound-aliens - which may cause an overall hesitancy to act on anything unless absolutely necessary, b) there's no shelter to live in at the waterfall, c) constructing a new shelter at the waterfall would take a significant amount of time/effort - time/effort necessary to adapt to a way of living without previously existing social systems, d) we don't know when they found the waterfall, and e) constructing a new shelter at the waterfall would require a lot of movement to and from the farm, something the family already seems extremely hesitant about - likely due to (a) and the fact that they lost their son three months into the "invasion."

tldr - they don't move to the waterfall because if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

This was one of the plot questions I posted in my spoilers tag. I guess we’re not doing spoilers on this thread?

Anyway, RE: the waterfall - it’s pretty goddamn broke. If they had the time and ability to set up fireworks, set up the silly light system, lay the salt/sand walkway lines, then certainly they could’ve figured out a low-sound shelter by the waterfall. And that wasn’t even my biggest problem with the movie.

Saw A Quiet Place last night. I don't normally enjoy horror flicks given their predictability and the silliness of jump scares, etc. I thought this was conceptually solid and really enjoyed the pacing. The lack of spoken dialogue certainly added to the suspense, and Krasinski and Blunt are eminently watchable people. That said, I had HUGE problems with the plot holes

1. Why the FUCK would any couple allow themselves to get pregnant in this situation? Even after the loss of a child. For me, this took away from the empathy factor in a "you get what you deserve" way. Maybe I'm just an asshole
2. Also, why bring the entire family to the pharmacy at the beginning? Why not just send dad and sick kid?
3. If they know that constant, loud noise mitigates risk, why not LIVE NEAR THE FUCKING WATERFALL?
4. Similarly, if they were able to build the underground bunker specifically for the newborn/labor, why not make the whole house soundproof? Seemed like they mapped out the whole town and could find supplies to do so. They certainly had the time. Maybe do that first before setting up fucking fireworks and a useless red light system.
4a. Conversely, why not just move to a more sound-secure area? Military base, airport - hell, even a radio station or music studio.
5. Fix the fucking nail after you catch your laundry bag on it, dumbass.
6. I find it hard to believe that a society could figure out that the creatures were highly alert to sound and NOT find a solution to combat it. That it would take interference from a deaf girl's ear piece to discover a weakness. It would take a pretty long time for those creatures to wipe civilization out one at a time. Certainly long enough to allow for experiments.

This movie was one of the worst movies I have seen in recent memory, and any intelligent, logical person who thinks otherwise has a very high threshold for lapping up anything Hollywood dishes out. How it ever scored 95% on Rotten Tomatoes is beyond me. You say it is "solid" then list all of the reasons that you correctly point out that make it very "unsolid". Stay away unless you can watch completely illogical movies and enjoy them.

Super Troopers 2 was everything I wanted it to be. No fan of the first one should be disappointed.

This movie was one of the worst movies I have seen in recent memory, and any intelligent, logical person who thinks otherwise has a very high threshold for lapping up anything Hollywood dishes out. How it ever scored 95% on Rotten Tomatoes is beyond me. You say it is "solid" then list all of the reasons that you correctly point out that make it very "unsolid". Stay away unless you can watch completely illogical movies and enjoy them.

Saw it yesterday with my wife. I enjoyed it. She liked it, in spite of being overly emotional due to having our third child in her uterus.

Of course, we only ended up at the movie because we're simpletons. We were just stumbling around trying to not bump into things and somehow we ended up at the local cinema. Since we're rarely allowed to leave the home, it was a really exciting day. My favorite part was when my wife exclaimed, "Gaaahhh!!! The pictures... They're coming alive!"

Saw it yesterday with my wife. I enjoyed it. She liked it, in spite of being overly emotional due to having our third child in her uterus.

Of course, we only ended up at the movie because we're simpletons. We were just stumbling around trying to not bump into things and somehow we ended up at the local cinema. Since we're rarely allowed to leave the home, it was a really exciting day. My favorite part was when my wife exclaimed, "Gaaahhh!!! The pictures... They're coming alive!"

My wife, having given birth to our first child a few months ago, was having serious PTSD during the bathtub scene.

I hate that I jumped on the Moviepass bandwagon so late (March) but at least I made it before they changed it for new users to only see 4 movies per month.

Everyone's affected by the change that disallows multiple viewings of the same movie. The work-around is trivial enough, except for a sold out movie, so for this one, whatevah.

Believe it or not, Moviepass is losing money hand over fist. I truly would love to see what their plan to profitability was when they set up the service. Were they using the gym pricing model where most members are expected to not show up? For the math to work, users would have to see an average of 1, less than 1 really, movie per month. Did they really not see that this program would incent people to view movies they otherwise wouldn't? That's all I've ever heard from users, is how they, like me, are using it to see movies they otherwise would have ignored.

Enjoy it while you can.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/27/moviepass-no-movies-more-than-once/

Pitch Perfect 3 was bad, aside from a few self-aware, self-denigrating quips. I also wonder who blackmailed John Lithgow.

I hate that I jumped on the Moviepass bandwagon so late (March) but at least I made it before they changed it for new users to only see 4 movies per month.

Everyone's affected by the change that disallows multiple viewings of the same movie. The work-around is trivial enough, except for a sold out movie, so for this one, whatevah.

Believe it or not, Moviepass is losing money hand over fist. I truly would love to see what their plan to profitability was when they set up the service. Were they using the gym pricing model where most members are expected to not show up? For the math to work, users would have to see an average of 1, less than 1 really, movie per month. Did they really not see that this program would incent people to view movies they otherwise wouldn't? That's all I've ever heard from users, is how they, like me, are using it to see movies they otherwise would have ignored.

Enjoy it while you can.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/27/moviepass-no-movies-more-than-once/

A little insight into their business model: https://www.wired.com/story/moviepass-second-act/

Thanks for posting. That’s a good article.

Back