• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Saw The Lion King w/ the kids... It's pretty much the same as the animated version. The songs were worse. Some of the dialogue/jokes were better. Overall, they did a good job with it... But largely unnecessary (aside from the obvious Disney money grab).

Saw tremendously bad movie last night. It wasn’t even a little surprising how bad it was based on the trailers I remember from 7 years ago when it came out, but fuck, Battleship was just awful. But I did watch the whole thing, because despite its awfulness I was still moderately entertained.

Saw tremendously bad movie last night. It wasn’t even a little surprising how bad it was based on the trailers I remember from 7 years ago when it came out, but fuck, Battleship was just awful. But I did watch the whole thing, because despite its awfulness I was still moderately entertained.

Battleship is like the first Pacific Rim. Complete schlock but entertaining. Plus they play Band of Horses at the end so bonus points.

Once Upon A Time was solid. I think his best film as a director, thought not his best film as entertainment. A fun ride through 1969. Better as it went along. Thought he could’ve left a lot on the cutting room floor in the first hour. Too many extended shots that weren’t really necessary. Maybe I’d change my tune with a second viewing.

Wife and I saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night and loved it, especially the attention to detail with the time period. Neither of us knew a lot about the Manson murders or Sharon Tate so we had no idea what to expect. It went a little long but would probably watch it again

Saw The Lion King w/ the kids... It's pretty much the same as the animated version. The songs were worse. Some of the dialogue/jokes were better. Overall, they did a good job with it... But largely unnecessary (aside from the obvious Disney money grab).

Took the kids to see this yesterday. Because they didn’t really change much or add anything to the story, I found it pretty boring. Music was worse and since it was a straight remake, I found any nostalgia feelings wishing for the original voice actors rather than what was happening on screen.

The beauty and the beast and Jungle boom remakes were much better.

What did the kids think? My son saw it and loved it.

Yeah, I should have added that my girls (5 & 3) loved the live-action Lion King... I think they still prefer the original (we watched it at home the next day... for like the 100th time).

I had some concerns going in that it might be too intense for the 3 year old, but she didn't get scared at all... Probably helps that the live action movie was basically the exact same movie, so she knew what to expect.

Yeah, I should have added that my girls (5 & 3) loved the live-action Lion King... I think they still prefer the original (we watched it at home the next day... for like the 100th time).

I had some concerns going in that it might be too intense for the 3 year old, but she didn't get scared at all... Probably helps that the live action movie was basically the exact same movie, so she knew what to expect.

11 year old thought it was meh and likes the original better. Music fell flat for them.

8 year old liked it - but doesn’t remember the original all that much.

Watched The Killing of a Sacred Deer this weekend. It was unsettling. Same director as The Favourite and The Lobster.

I found the themes and the plot to be really engaging and interesting and original for what it was trying to do. But maybe what was the most unsettling of anything else was the flat affect all the characters had. They mostly line read like they were in a trance. It's something like that in all of his films that makes you not sure what universe is unraveling on screen. I remember being confused throughout Dogtooth for a long period about whether we were just being weird for the sake of it, but there's something more happening, all on purpose. Some very memorable scenes in this one. The kid actors are all great.

Took the kids to see this yesterday. Because they didn’t really change much or add anything to the story, I found it pretty boring. Music was worse and since it was a straight remake, I found any nostalgia feelings wishing for the original voice actors rather than what was happening on screen.

The beauty and the beast and Jungle boom remakes were much better.

I kind of wish this was a real movie. It sounds awesome. Maybe Michael Bay at the helm?

Watched The Killing of a Sacred Deer this weekend. It was unsettling. Same director as The Favourite and The Lobster.

I found the themes and the plot to be really engaging and interesting and original for what it was trying to do. But maybe what was the most unsettling of anything else was the flat affect all the characters had. They mostly line read like they were in a trance. It's something like that in all of his films that makes you not sure what universe is unraveling on screen. I remember being confused throughout Dogtooth for a long period about whether we were just being weird for the sake of it, but there's something more happening, all on purpose. Some very memorable scenes in this one. The kid actors are all great.

I am a fan of Yourgos. Not as high on those films as some, but at least you know you are getting something interesting.

Lion King was so similar to the original that it didn't even feel like a new live action version but more like a "Tribute to the Lion King" like when they'll re-release a soundtrack with other artists covering or a symphony playing.

It was also just emotionally flat. You lose so much going from animation designed to look like cartoons to CGI designed to look like real animals. It works when animated cartoons show lots of human emotion and do all kinds of things real animals can't do because, of course, they're cartoons and not real animals. But when you're trying to give the look of real animals, you can't let them do as many thing that real animals obviously don't do. The new art form needed to feel more like the broadway show than the original movie to make sense.

My wife wanted to go see The Art of Racing in the Rain - and she NEVER wants to go to the movies, so I went. She had read the book, I had not. It was predictable but pretty well done, I thought. Very touching, but I am a softy.

Apparently Matrix 4 is gonna be made with Keanu, Carrie Ann Moss and one of the Wachowskis.

And the new Bond film is titled "No Time to Die"

We don’t have a movie news thread, and there are no trailers nor are these comic book movies.

I saw Blinded by the Light. It was very good and had some really good moments. It was much like and amped up Bend It Like Beckham (which is logical as it was directed by the same person).

Last edited:
i think Matrix franchise is close enough to comic book movies

51YLViEdSBL._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hmmm... I'll allow it... But watch yourself, McCoy.

Back