• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Rocketman was pretty clever in its use of the songs and visually appealing, but the story has been told a million times. Also wish it wouldn’t have come off like a karaoke musical. Ned Stark’s kid sounded more like Elton than the guy playing Elton did, and the version of Don’t Go Breaking My Heart that they put together for the film was cringeworthy.

Didn't Elton hand pick that guy to play him?

Saw the first half of Hotel Atremis on Showtime last night before crashing. It seemed entertaining in that not quite good but good enough sort of way.

Great cast. Worth finishing?

Saw the first half of Hotel Atremis on Showtime last night before crashing. It seemed entertaining in that not quite good but good enough sort of way.

Great cast. Worth finishing?

My thoughts from this post

Hotel Artemis - For a cast that always had multiple people from my "I really like this actor/actress" list for each and every scene, the end result was a bust. Dull, derivative (it's the John Wick hotel in hospital form), and nonsensical, I take solace hoping that the dismal box office means the franchise they seem to be trying to launch is DOA.

Man, just a quick glance, but first thing that comes to mind is no Children of Men? Dang.

Also, I still need to see Zama. Loved the book.

Last edited:
Yeah lots of worthy films on their but Under the Skin is super forgettable except for ScarJo's pre-Black Widow lumpy booty shots.

It is also a difficult task to make it all the way through Synecdoche, NY without napping.

I also fell like Daniel Day Lewis is the most overrated POS ever at this point.

Finally, A Prophet is a fucking monster of a movie. Must see.

WO. They let the dude responsible for Gammorah direct an eye-talian live action version of Pinocchio with Roberto Benigni playing Geppetto.

Apparently the Pinocchio story is in the public domain outside the US, so this is non-disney. Crazy.

Yeah lots of worthy films on their but Under the Skin is super forgettable except for ScarJo's pre-Black Widow lumpy booty shots.

agree

It is also a difficult task to make it all the way through Synecdoche, NY without napping.

disagree

I also fell like Daniel Day Lewis is the most overrated POS ever at this point.

disagree

Finally, A Prophet is a fucking monster of a movie. Must see.

agree

hm, i'm about 50/50 with these takes

for all the yorgos movies kinda surprised they picked dogtooth

for me it's missing city of god, winter's bone, eternal sunshine, in brugges, zodiac, and melancholia

weird to put grand budapest ahead of royal tenenbaums

a serious man should be top 10

#1 is correct

surprised gravity is in there, it's basically space cowboys

i know it's problematic or canceled or whatever bc of casey affleck but manchester by the sea is really damn good and should be on there instead of like...Ted

There's a very good chance I stay up to watch the rest of Coming to America on Paramount right now.

Saw a flick last night called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and thought it was quite good. Not an exciting, fast paced movie, but I thought it was really well done.

Man, just a quick glance, but first thing that comes to mind is no Children of Men? Dang.

Also, I still need to see Zama. Loved the book.

Zama was good. If you haven't read it, you might be a little more confused (it's still kind of confusing), but just give in and go with it.

Saw The Goldfinch yesterday. I thought it was pretty good, and in fact much better than the awful reviews.

https://www.gq.com/story/in-defense-of-the-box-office-flop-the-goldfinch

I sort of agree with this review. The criticisms of it are valid, in that it at points somehow feels both plodding and rushed, but that is what happens when you try and adapt a 800 page book. Anyway, I'm in on this type of story (down on his luck prep school kid / outsider kid navigating privileged society plus drugs etc)

I wasnt thrilled with the young Theo, but Ansel, Kidman, Luke Olsen, Paulson, & Finn Wolfhard all have nice turns. Its defs worth a watch although probably not worth running towards the theater. If you've read the excellent book, worth a watch.

Beating Dead Horse aside: Rotten Tomatoes truly cannot be trusted anymore when shit horror movies with billions of plot holes B special effects and C acting get 82% bc they are 'fun', yet serious movies somehow have to jump over an entirely different set of hurdles. Not to mention the basement dwelling mom's meatloaf snarfing bloggers that they include as 'critics'.
The audience score is 73% and rising, I think that's probably a better metric for this one. I'd put it as a 70%/C+/B- range.

Caught the Two Ferns movie over the weekend. Pretty much what you would expect. If you enjoyed the web series, you'll enjoy the movie - it actually has an unexpected sweetness to it.

That said, Will Ferrell is easily the worst part of the movie. His act is just so tired at this point.

I started it last night, agree with your take

pretty much all the movie filler stuff is whatever -- I just wanted the interviews

and yeah, Will Ferrell was painfully unfunny

Back