• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Watched Meek's Cutoff yesterday and dug it, thanks for the rec. A slow burn, intense. Kind of reminded me of Zama a little, maybe in mood, or how it was pretty quiet. I don't know. Just a little.

Will bang out Rififi tonight!

Rififi was badass. Thanks for both those recs movie thread.

I liked how after the like 20 minute no dialogue portion the first word in what seems like forever is "shit."

Enjoyed Ready or Not. Predictable, but decent premise and good black comedy/horror. Strange to say, but Adam Brody should be in more stuff.

What did you think? I really liked it, but what a brutal movie. Kent is a director to watch following this and The Babadook.

I think you summed it up nicely. Excellent movie but the sheer brutality will be hard for some people to handle. Great work by the director.

New recommendations:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Trumbo
Chappaquiddick

Buster Scruggs was fun! The Coens are geniuses. It was neat to watch Meek's Cutoff and see Zoe Kazan in a wagon train role. It's her niche.

Thought Joker was terrible. Surprised it did so well. Thought it was slow and pretty dull, story was a mess, Phoenix was fine but just kind of doing just normal crazy Phoenix, got so tired of him just dancing around the entire time, I thought the soundtrack choices were pretty bad. Just bad.

Thought Joker was terrible. Surprised it did so well. Thought it was slow and pretty dull, story was a mess, Phoenix was fine but just kind of doing just normal crazy Phoenix, got so tired of him just dancing around the entire time, I thought the soundtrack choices were pretty bad. Just bad.

What a sentence.

I should have know better to watch an RJ recomendation...Condor was a snoozefest.

Dickie Hemric

El Chupacabra's AvatarJoin Date
Mar 2011
I just watched Condor last night, rj, legit."

Sometimes you need to get over the silliness...

I don't totally disagree, I am just not anti-snooze fest. I like the old spy/deep state paranoia snooze fests where little "action" happens, and it's just dudes freaking out trying to figure out wtf is going on. If that's not one's thing, I can understand why one might feel the need to actually snooze rather than fest. It's a fine line.

I really liked th first 30 minutes or so but when he met Fayedunaway , he whole thing just ground to a halt.

I really liked th first 30 minutes or so but when he met Fayedunaway , he whole thing just ground to a halt.

You evidently deeply offended the dude by disliking one of his movie recommendations.

I hear that, valid criticism. That's often the case with these flicks; I tend to blame the writers for not totally knowing what to do with female characters. I still had a good time with it though.

Last edited:
Watched Lucy in the Sky over the weekend. Holy hell was that one of the absolute worst movies I've ever seen. Just atrocious all around.

We watched The Gentlemen last night. Guy Ritchie flick with Matthew McConaughey as a bigtime pot dealer. Entertaining but not classic fare.

I started The Vast of Night last night (Amazon, first time director), which definitely had a vibe and was doing some interesting things (Spielberg-y, Rian Johnson-y, maybe; nostalgic sepia-toned camera stuff), but I fell asleep so I'll need to re-watch. No indictment of the movie, my brain is just weird and I can't concentrate and like to sleep, that's all, what.

Re-started The Vast Of Night from the beginning this afternoon and finished it and it's solid. Very well done for its scope and the resources. Creatively shot, good performances from the actors. Nice little movie, good for all ages. Anyway, I dug it. Say Hey Deac tipped me off on it, so if you like movies he has liked/posted about in the past, it could be for you.

Last edited:
Also watched You Were Never Really Here last night and have about half an hour to go on Under the Silver Lake.

YWNRH was good, Joaquin was great. Awesome Jonny Greenwood score and well directed by Lynne Ramsey. Kind of want to read the book now, which was by the writer/creator of Bored To Death.

Also watched You Were Never Really Here last night and have about half an hour to go on Under the Silver Lake.

YWNRH was good, Joaquin was great. Awesome Jonny Greenwood score and well directed by Lynne Ramsey. Kind of want to read the book now, which was by the writer/creator of Bored To Death.

I liked it, too. I mean, it's a preposterous story, but that's kind of Ramsey's shtick now. We Need To Talk About Kevin was similarly preposterous and also a good flick, I thought.

What do you think of Under the Silver Lake? It's definitely one that I think you would really like.

Back