• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

babadook wasn’t very good

bad take.

Tons of really good recent horror movies:

Get Out
The Witch
Babadook
Let Me In
You're Next
Hush
Gerald's Game
Annihilation
Mandy
The Invitation
The Ritual
It
the first Conjuring and first Insidious
First Sinister
It Follows

No, this is a bad take. This is my point. You think bad movies are good. It has to be an actual good movie, not a 'good horror movie'

bad take.

Get Out - medium ok this is the classic 'good horror movie'
The Witch -No no no
Babadook - F no
Let Me In - Let the Right One In is Good. Let Me In is garbage. This is very revealing.
You're Next - F no
Hush - No
Gerald's Game - This was still not good the first time when it was Misery
Annihilation -- no and this is shitty sci fi
Mandy -- Jesus
The Invitation -- I havent seen this bc its the big brother from the OC also looks like a thriller not horror
The Ritual
It - this is a classic overrated horror movie, starts out with some actual scary scenes then is just a writing mess with jump scares every 12 minutes
the first Conjuring and first Insidious - no
First Sinister - no
It Follows - It follows everything except its own internal logic

Last edited:
Psycho
Rosemary's Baby
The Shining
The Exorcist
Silence of the Lambs
Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre
1st Scream
1st Let the Right One In
Is Jaws horror (I dont think so but if so, its in)

After that you have stuff like

The Ring
Blair Witch
The Descent
Get Out

which are scary in parts but arent good movies they are 'good horror movies' which is like 'wake forest hot'

....and then the vast majority is garbage. If you want to watch garbage, fine watch garbage. Millions of people watch the Bachelor for similar escapist reasons. Just dont call it good cinema.

it's niche for a reason, i feel like we haven't had a great comedy in the last decade, we had a thread about it and most of the suggestions were pretty bad, and even when they are good it's still not great cinema, it's escapism, same as horror, sci-fi, romance, most drama/blockbuster shit

Agreed, although I think there are a LOT more comedies that are real, great movies.

I just have issue with people defending average, poor and outright terrible horror films as good movies. If you like garbage, just admit it to yourself and the world.

See watch, here's how it's done:

This looks like an almost scene-by-scene remake with better flight footage and worse acting. Complete steaming BZ level garbage culture derivative trash but I am ALL IN.

Last edited:
kinda surprised you didn't like Mother!

thought it was pretty wild

i'm also really looking forward to seeing midsommar

i guess i don't really know or care what you call it, reminded me of that greek bro's stuff like Dogtooth and The Lobster that is just unsettling and weird

Wife and I saw midsommar this weekend and I walked out of there saying “ what da fuck did we just watch?”

I didn’t hate it and parts of it were intense but it seemed more like a documentary than a horror movie. And in one key scene near the end, I just couldn’t help but laugh ( it involves boobies). Overall, interesting movie to watch but I wish I hadn’t seen on it a date night with my wife for full movie theater price plus ten dollar popcorn .

TAB spot on (and funny) with his “Wake Forest hot” comparison. Not a lot of horror movies out there that stand on their own as good films. I wouldn’t have Scream or Texas Chainsaw on my list though. The Thing and maybe the original Halloween instead, John Carpenter at his best.

But even “horror movie good” is watered down now since the output from Hollywood is so crummy overall. Horror is kind of played out and has been for a while. I’ll still go see something like the It sequel (TAB’s assessment of the first one is correct too), but won’t expect much. Midsommer is a curiosity, but it seems to me that if you aren’t making horror movies with jump scares, the alternative is just to make them so fucking weird that people will talk about them. There probably hasn’t been something genuinely new to the genre since the whole found footage thing got played out.

Is The Sixth Sense a horror movie? Because it scared the hell out of me when I was 15.

No, this is a bad take. This is my point. You think bad movies are good. It has to be an actual good movie, not a 'good horror movie'

bad take.

Get Out - medium ok this is the classic 'good horror movie'
The Witch -No no no
Babadook - F no
Let Me In - Let the Right One In is Good. Let Me In is garbage. This is very revealing.
You're Next - F no
Hush - No
Gerald's Game - This was still not good the first time when it was Misery
Annihilation -- no and this is shitty sci fi
Mandy -- Jesus
The Invitation -- I havent seen this bc its the big brother from the OC also looks like a thriller not horror
The Ritual
It - this is a classic overrated horror movie, starts out with some actual scary scenes then is just a writing mess with jump scares every 12 minutes
the first Conjuring and first Insidious - no
First Sinister - no
It Follows - It follows everything except its own internal logic

All good, well done, well acted movies -- you just apparently don't like the genre. And don't seem to have good taste.

TAB spot on (and funny) with his “Wake Forest hot” comparison. Not a lot of horror movies out there that stand on their own as good films. I wouldn’t have Scream or Texas Chainsaw on my list though. The Thing and maybe the original Halloween instead, John Carpenter at his best.

But even “horror movie good” is watered down now since the output from Hollywood is so crummy overall. Horror is kind of played out and has been for a while. I’ll still go see something like the It sequel (TAB’s assessment of the first one is correct too), but won’t expect much. Midsommer is a curiosity, but it seems to me that if you aren’t making horror movies with jump scares, the alternative is just to make them so fucking weird that people will talk about them. There probably hasn’t been something genuinely new to the genre since the whole found footage thing got played out.

I think Get Out was relatively novel, though Peele himself called it a "social thriller" and compared it to Stepford Wives and Pleasantville.

I think a big part of the watering down of horror comes from teh whole Blumfield thing where they can spend $50k or $500k or $5M on a movie 10X a year and one of them will make $50M and they can continue that model ad infinitum. And really even that big hit movie isn't likely to be great.

also +1 on townie's rec of the lobster, which was not a horror movie but *was* real fucking unsettling

i need to check out the killing of a sacred deer at some point

Back