• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

I hate that I jumped on the Moviepass bandwagon so late (March) but at least I made it before they changed it for new users to only see 4 movies per month.

Everyone's affected by the change that disallows multiple viewings of the same movie. The work-around is trivial enough, except for a sold out movie, so for this one, whatevah.

Believe it or not, Moviepass is losing money hand over fist. I truly would love to see what their plan to profitability was when they set up the service. Were they using the gym pricing model where most members are expected to not show up? For the math to work, users would have to see an average of 1, less than 1 really, movie per month. Did they really not see that this program would incent people to view movies they otherwise wouldn't? That's all I've ever heard from users, is how they, like me, are using it to see movies they otherwise would have ignored.

Enjoy it while you can.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/27/moviepass-no-movies-more-than-once/

The 4 movies / month change didn't take but it looks like the "no repeats" policy is still in place.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/moviepass-unlimited-monthly-subscription-returns-1202794320/

I think I'm up to 38 so far this year.

Since I've posted here, I know I've seen:

Super Troopers 2 - C
I probably wasn't in the right mood & saw it as a matinee while sober & alone...

Avengers - C-
My commentary isn't worthwhile on this one. I'm not a big comic book movie fan & it just completely lost me early on. I was completely unfamiliar with Guardians so when those characters were introduced I may as well have left the theater.

A Quiet Place - B
This one is actually growing on me the more time I spend away from it. I didn't realize John K was the director. He did an incredible job when you realize there was so little in terms of a cast/etc.

Thinking about seeing 'You were never really here' early tomorrow if I can get the wife to aperture.

Made it about halfway through Jack Reacher Never Go Back late the other night - woof it was not good. I remember the first one being at least decent, but I'm pretty surprised that Tom Cruise would be in something with such boring dialogue, bad acting, a dumb plot, and low production value

Saw Beirut. Jon Hamm and Rosamund Pike were very good. It gave a great look at the decimation of Lebanon. It was well written, acted and shot. Worth seeing.

Truth or Dare. It was hilarious and pretty gruesome. Would recommend for cheap thrills.

I saw the documentary about/starring Pope Francis. It was really good and absolutely worth seeing. He said nice things about gays and atheists. Without question, he is a huge climate change believer and fighter for protecting the Earth. He believes in science and evolution. He challenged the world about income inequality and prison reform.

He doesn't try to convert anyone and wishes for everyone to live a life filled with love.

I feel like MoviePass should figure out a way to track concession sales, because I really don’t think the theatres are losing money on MoviePass. I have seen a ton of movies that I would not ordinarily have seen under any circumstances. But I have also probably averaged $15-20 at the concession stand for just a snack and two drinks. So is a theatre losing money if (a) the show I am seeing is not sold out, (b) I would not have seen the movie but for MP, and (c) I spend money for overpriced snacks that I wouldn’t have purchased but for MP? It seems that MP is losing money and I am losing money, and that does not make too much sense.

A lot of the movies I have seen are bad. Real bad.

I would assume you're the exception, not the rule. I can't remember the last time I've bought concessions from a movie theater, and I use MoviePass 3-4 times/month.

i think my wife and i only see a movie once every other month or so but we always buy a popcorn, a soda, a bottle of water and occasionally some candy

I thought MoviePass paid theaters full freight, that they were the ones taking the hit and not theaters.

Since Movie Pass' business model is to get and sell data from their customers, why won't Google crush them? Google could buy MP or simply start their own version. If they do the latter, They can offer advertisers and other customers more info than MP ever will have.

Caught Three Billboards on a flight recently. Really really excellent. McDormand was great as expected, but I thought Woody Harrelson was even better than Rockwell. And the supporting cast was excellent.

I seem to remember there being some controversy around the film, but I don't really remember why and certainly couldn't tell from the movie itself. I suppose if you're hypersensitive to negative portrayals of cops...

As I said at the time, I thought the acting and directing were excellent. McDormand, Rockwell and Harrelson were excellent. I just found the story to be depressing.

Since Movie Pass' business model is to get and sell data from their customers, why won't Google crush them? Google could buy MP or simply start their own version. If they do the latter, They can offer advertisers and other customers more info than MP ever will have.

Because the business model isn't successful. MP is hemorrhaging money, and no theater chain has indicated they're willing to play ball with MP's proposal.

Because the business model isn't successful. MP is hemorrhaging money, and no theater chain has indicated they're willing to play ball with MP's proposal.

But if Google did it, the proposal is on a different level. They could promise things MP could never deliver. Also Google wouldn't have to pay the same amount for tix that MP does.

But if Google did it, the proposal is on a different level. They could promise things MP could never deliver. Also Google wouldn't have to pay the same amount for tix that MP does.

Why not?

This is sort of the point. Regardless of what Google can promise in terms of data, theater chains haven't shown any interest in engaging a "data for ticket subsidy" model. And the only way that model ever works is with the buy-in of those chains.

The could deliver more people to the theaters. More importantly, I'd predict Google would into this arena in a much more sophisticated and integrated way than MP did. I'd be shocked if they didn't make deals with production companies before going to the theaters. Google would endeavor to use its power to drive the first two weekends of attendance and get a kicker for advertising the movie as well selling products. They wouldn't need to pay as much as they'd have more revenue streams from Day One than MP would ever have.

Plus by having so many other income streams, Google could leave the concessions for the theater owners.

I wouldn't even put it past Google to invest in some films.

Back