• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Eigth Grade was really good. Cringe inducingly well done. Not looking forward to my girls being eighth graders. The lead actress deserves all the awards.

I saw Snow Taken yesterday. Conceptually what you would expect, although the pacing was a little too slow. They definitely went for more of a dark comedy feel than straight-up action like Taken, Airplane Taken, and Train Taken.

Weird usage of Laura Dern though. She was in maybe three scenes.

Watched 7 Days in Entebbe yesterday. Enjoyed it, and learned a lot as well. Can't get the Hebrew song they play throughout out of my head though.

Under the Volcano was pretty good, though the book is absolutely devastating, and it didn't quite live up to it. The action happens in a day, but the book is able to drag that out a little more, give some backstory, etc. I didn't realize John Huston directed it before I checked it out. The leads are all very good, Albert Finney (RIP) especially, and the final confrontation is pretty sinister. It was just a little choppy or something. I'd still recommend it.

In today's edition of "DeacsATS reviews a movie he just saw on a plane six months after everyone else is done talking about it..." we discuss "Ready Player One".

Read the book a few years ago and really enjoyed it... As a child of the 80s, I liked that it was full of pop culture references that took me back to my youth. I also thought it was something that would make a great movie... It read like a movie. And Spielberg being involved meant it had a chance to be a great movie.

Well, I was wrong. A mostly "meh" movie with a few well done scenes (that weren't even in the book)... The race for the first key was good, and so was "The Shining".

Way too many changes made from the book... It was a movie made for teenagers instead of a movie made from a book that was written for people in their (late) 30s and 40s. Probably makes sense in terms of the movie actually making money... But it definitely impacted the quality.

Mostly disappointed, but I guess I can always just go back and read the book in a few years.

Finally watched No Way Out

Very effective Washington DC thriller

They’d never get away with the homosexual villain trope these days

That said, Will Patton did a great job as evil Scott Pritchard

Sean Young definitely ****able back then

Great limo sex scene

I watched most of The Aviator last night and I'm going to finish it today. Pretty solid epic bio-pic, but middle of the road Scorsese (better than 90% of everyone else).

Then I watched all of All The President's Men, which I either had just seen bits of before, or it has been so long. Was going to flip out if Robards hadn't gotten an Oscar for it, but, no worries, he did.

I also finished the last part of Buster Scruggs. That was a good time, too. Some chapters were better than others, but all parts solid and fun. I don't think I'm covering any new ground there.

The Aviator is one of my favorite all time films, DiCaprio was excellent.

Yeah, he's great. Also, I should probably have waited to see the entire thing before commenting :)

Hereditary- whoo boy. Ending was really something. Probably need to watch it again, because I watched it over three sittings, but it was some freaky shit.

Finally watched No Way Out

Very effective Washington DC thriller

They’d never get away with the homosexual villain trope these days

That said, Will Patton did a great job as evil Scott Pritchard

Sean Young definitely ****able back then

Great limo sex scene
This was one of my all-time favorites growing up.

Kanopy is an awesome service. Sadly, our public library doesn't subscribe. Mostly limited to bigger cities and universities.

You Were Never Really Here - DARK; artsy; Joaquin Phoenix coulda/shoulda got an Oscar nom; available free on Amazon Prime

I wanted to see that in the theaters but it stayed about a week. Same dude who wrote it created the show Bored To Death, which seem odd bedfellows based on what I've heard, but I'll go with it. I'll have to check it out, though my Amazon Fire Stick is on the fritz so I'll have to watch on my lap top. Dang. Maybe I can resuscitate my Fire Stick. Fire! Fire!!!

Isle of Dogs - why didn’t I see this movie sooner? It rocks. Would say it’s one of Wes Anderson’s bests, but other than Zissou and Darjeeling he’s only made great movies, so that wouldn’t say much. I know it’s up for an Oscar, but feels like this movie got slept on a little bit.

This is pretty fun:

I really liked Zissou and Darjeeling, and I don't think they would be my bottom 2 of his, but I don't think he's ever made a *bad* film. I haven't seen Isle of Dogs, though. I heard it was racist.

Royal Tenenbaums
Grand Budapest
Rushmore
Isle of Dogs
Life Aquatic
Fantastic Mr Fox
Moonrise Kingdom
Bottle Rocket
Darjeeling

Bottle Rocket close to the top for me, if not #1. Amazing effort right out the gate. Simple and endearing, but funny and weird. Not quite so affected yet (and I like his affectation).

Back