• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Agree with sc and strick. I laughed harder at bad trip than any movie I've seen recently. You might say i was having a good trip.

Sorry to Bother You was really long. Some interesting scenes, but I did not get the hype surrounding it.

Watched The Graduate last night for the first time in a long time, and I didn't love it. The whole Elaine storyline is just super fucking weird. Also weird that Dustin Hoffman was 30 years old when he played the role and Anne Bancroft was only 35 but playing a cougar twice his age. And Simon and Garfunkel leaned a little too heavily on Scarborough Fair in the soundtrack.

I've been slowly working my way through the A24 catalog. I still think the top 3 are:

Ex Machina
Green Room
Room

But there are lots to recommend: Obvious Child, A Most Violent Year, The Witch, The Lobster, Moonlight, 20th Century Women, Hereditary, The Florida Project, Midsommar, etc.

I watched three this week--Under the Silver Lake (2019), Saint Maud (2021) and High Life (2019).

Of them, I think High Life was the best, followed by Silver Lake, and then a distant third Saint Maud, which I really didn't like at all.

High Life is a Claire Denis film with Robert Pattinson. The scenes where he is raising a young daughter are particularly strong, but she manages to communicate so much with so little visually. Under the Silver Lake was a lot more maximalist, but I very much enjoyed it, whereas I think Saint Maud was just utterly bereft of ideas.

Room was tough to watch. A lot of those you listed were too.

When the kid wants to go back to Room at the end it just hit hard.

some of my faves that you didn't list:

Last Black Man in San Francisco
Lady Bird
First Reformed
Eighth Grade

Florida Project is my favorite of all the ones I've seen, I think

Just watched Under the Skin (2013). ScarJo puts in a pretty amazing performance. I think reading about the film's production was almost more interesting than the film itself, though I did enjoy it. There were some very interesting ideas, and it did make me want to read the book, though I think it's super loosely portrayed in the film. It has to be one of the most visually engrossing movies I've seen in some time, especially the outdoor scenes towards the end in the Scottish Highlands. It was a very spare plot, but I was never really bored.

I've been slowly working my way through the A24 catalog. I still think the top 3 are:

Ex Machina
Green Room
Room

But there are lots to recommend: Obvious Child, A Most Violent Year, The Witch, The Lobster, Moonlight, 20th Century Women, Hereditary, The Florida Project, Midsommar, etc.

I watched three this week--Under the Silver Lake (2019), Saint Maud (2021) and High Life (2019).

Of them, I think High Life was the best, followed by Silver Lake, and then a distant third Saint Maud, which I really didn't like at all.

High Life is a Claire Denis film with Robert Pattinson. The scenes where he is raising a young daughter are particularly strong, but she manages to communicate so much with so little visually. Under the Silver Lake was a lot more maximalist, but I very much enjoyed it, whereas I think Saint Maud was just utterly bereft of ideas.

I love so many of these -- I really wanted to see St. Maud.

Some others I really liked that haven't been listed:

Killing of a Sacred Deer -- liked it more than the Lobster, which I thought just petered out by the end.
Mississippi Grind
Enemy

Excited to see the Green Knight when that comes out later this year.

Still a lot I need to see.

Nobody asked me, but I love A24 and these are probably my favorites of their output so far:

1) First Reformed
2) Uncut Gems/Good Time (apologies if this is cheating, but I'm a Safdie bro)
3) Moonlight
4) The End of the Tour
5) Midsommar

My honorable mention is everything y'all mentioned already + The Lighthouse (which I feel Kory, especially, either loves already or would love if he were to see it)

Ex Machina
Green Room
Room

High Life is a great movie kinda spoiled, imo, by utterly gratuitous sexual assault/rape scenes. What was your reading on that stuff? I loved the end of that one, though, and Pattinson is awesome.

I also really loved Under the Silver Lake. It's a fun, kinda Pynchon-journey through LA that unlike most LA movies actually feels pretty accurate. It's representative of a particular milieu, but one that hits pretty close to home given the people I've come to know since I moved here.

some of my faves that you didn't list:

Last Black Man in San Francisco
Lady Bird
First Reformed
Eighth Grade

Florida Project is my favorite of all the ones I've seen, I think

First Reformed is one of the more powerful movies that I've ever seen. I find myself thinking about it often. I'm not sure if there is another movie that is so perfectly captures the moral horror and spiritual crisis of this current moment. (I still can't get the fact that the dude who directed Last Black Man in San Francisco [and the dudes who wrote it] is white. It was a fine film, but that's arguably the most SF thing about it.)

Just watched Under the Skin (2013). ScarJo puts in a pretty amazing performance. I think reading about the film's production was almost more interesting than the film itself, though I did enjoy it. There were some very interesting ideas, and it did make me want to read the book, though I think it's super loosely portrayed in the film. It has to be one of the most visually engrossing movies I've seen in some time, especially the outdoor scenes towards the end in the Scottish Highlands. It was a very spare plot, but I was never really bored.

What's your read on the plot? I watched it at the start of the pandemic and interpreted it as a horror film about being a woman. No matter how badass and hungry ScarJo is, men are the real fucking monsters.

I've been meaning to watch this one for awhile, but my partner isn't so into gore. How gory is it? I heard it's got vintage "body horror" vibes.

I watched it (Possessor) and the answer to my question is "extremely," though there really are only two scenes that turned my stomach a bit.

High Life is a great movie kinda spoiled, imo, by utterly gratuitous sexual assault/rape scenes. What was your reading on that stuff? I loved the end of that one, though, and Pattinson is awesome.

What's your read on the plot? I watched it at the start of the pandemic and interpreted it as a horror film about being a woman. No matter how badass and hungry ScarJo is, men are the real fucking monsters.

On High Life, I think the rape scenes mean to depict the prison world. Denis suggests the depictions are not gratuitous so much as the movie is about fluids, but idk. I wasn’t terribly put off. Binoche was incredible.

As for Under the Skin, I read it as an alien on Earth who needs to collect experiences. We see “her” as monstrous, especially with the scene at the beach with the infant. But eventually she is overcome by humanity and perhaps attempts assimilation or something like it, and then humanity is monstrous right back to her. That’s a superficial reading, there’s a lot more there.

Lean on Pete and A Ghost Story are a couple other great A24 films that haven't been mentioned yet.

Ghost Story isn't a horror film at all btw.

watched First Reformed today after mentions here

i am not 100% sure how to feel about the ending, but a very powerful movie

the first scene with the reverend and the environmentalist talking was some of the strongest dialog i've ever seen, really incredible performances from both actors

amanda seyfried very good too

Agree with sc and strick. I laughed harder at bad trip than any movie I've seen recently. You might say i was having a good trip.

Definitely funny, sometimes funny to the point of crying because I'm a sucker for lewd comedy. Between the gorilla and the Chinese fingercuffs, I'm set for a while.

Definitely funny, sometimes funny to the point of crying because I'm a sucker for lewd comedy. Between the gorilla and the Chinese fingercuffs, I'm set for a while.

The final bit of the zoo scene had me dying.

Just caught American Animals.

What an interesting way to make a film, playing on the documentary form and reenactment. I thought the acting was incredible too.

Today I watched Velvet Buzzsaw and I’m Thinking of Ending Things.

The latter was pretty fascinating…worth watching and working out.

Saw two movies over the weekend, Bliss and The Birthday Cake. I thought Bliss was just ok. A little disjointed and confusing at points. I could see that people who like depressing trippy movies would like it, but overall the reviews aren't great. I enjoyed TBC more, but I think it could have been better. Voice-box Val was pretty fucking weird to watch and I think was a bit distracting, but I thought the story had some promise. Overall I'd say it's worth a watch.

Back