• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

RIP Joel Schumacher.

He deservedly gets a lot of crap for his 2 Batman movies, but elsewhere on his IMDB page you'll find some fine movies. Nothing for the Criterion collection really but a lot of memorable flicks, even if for being cheesy. I didn't even know he wrote DC Cab, Car Wash or The Wiz until looking up his credits just now. Not the best movies I've ever seen but... memorable.

I legit liked Tigerland, Phone Booth and 8MM.

Da 5 Bloods is the most ridiculous two hours I have spent at the movies in five years. How, how, how is this movie getting good reviews? Horrible in so many ways.

RIP Joel Schumacher.

He deservedly gets a lot of crap for his 2 Batman movies, but elsewhere on his IMDB page you'll find some fine movies. Nothing for the Criterion collection really but a lot of memorable flicks, even if for being cheesy. I didn't even know he wrote DC Cab, Car Wash or The Wiz until looking up his credits just now. Not the best movies I've ever seen but... memorable.

I legit liked Tigerland, Phone Booth and 8MM.

Batman Forever was a fun movie when it came out. It was the height of Carey's power, Kilmer was coming off Tombstone, and Kidman was a solid love interest. It certainly didn't age well even before the Nolan films, but it's certainly nowhere near as bad as Batman & Robin, despite the silly car and the nipples on the suit.

I watched "Big Time Adolescence" last night which is one of Pete Davidson's new movies. I thought it was a pretty good take on the high school coming of age story. Pete's character had a lot of nuance as did Griffin Gluck's character. I thought the ending was pretty sad albeit in a completely realistic way. Funny and heartwarming not totally cliche. 7/10, would watch again.

Finally saw Glengarry Glen Ross. Awesome cast and acting with twist at the end. I don't think there was a female character ever on screen. Pacino, Spacey, Baldwin, Arkin, Harris, Jack Lemmon.

Saw The Lovebirds on Netflix last night. Not a great movie but definitely worth watching. I don't like rom coms, but this is my type of rom com. Take two funny attractive people and put them in an awkward situation that tests and strengthens their relationship. It's not a difficult formula. Put the relationship in drama, but don't make the relationship about drama.

Don’t have HBO.

is the new season good?

got kinda tired of it -- can't even remember if I finished the last season

is the new season good?

got kinda tired of it -- can't even remember if I finished the last season

Think they should probably kill the show. S4 had a good arc and a good story but I think they’ve said everything they’re gonna say.

Da 5 Bloods is the most ridiculous two hours I have spent at the movies in five years. How, how, how is this movie getting good reviews? Horrible in so many ways.

2 1/2 hours, actually.

Don’t think it was horrible but it was mediocre at best. With lesser actors than Lindo and Peters, it could’ve easily been terrible. Plot was like something out of a rejected National Treasure script and the flashbacks poorly done and really unnecessary. A better script would’ve fleshed out the backstory and all that happened without those scenes, which were not only awkwardly filmed, but full of bad CGI.

It has a few good moments, but those were frontloaded with them meeting in the hotel and with Otis’s realization regarding the whole paternity thing. By the end, it was just ridiculous. I know it’s Spike so I wouldn’t expect anything else, but subtlety and nuance is not exactly his forte.

Last edited:
Saw The Lovebirds on Netflix last night. Not a great movie but definitely worth watching. I don't like rom coms, but this is my type of rom com. Take two funny attractive people and put them in an awkward situation that tests and strengthens their relationship. It's not a difficult formula. Put the relationship in drama, but don't make the relationship about drama.

Saw this over the weekend as well and agree that it was worth a look. Definitely some funny moments.

Watched The Outpost on PPV. Felt like the pre big battle stuff tried a bit too hard at times, but battle sequences were good. Not sure what the real deal outpost looked like, but if it was even halfway like it was in the movie, somebody should be out of a job forever. Orlando Bloom’s role very brief— pimped to give the film some name recognition. Eastwood solid— channels his dad at the end. Acting was pretty solid all around.

I hadn't seen Searchnig for Bobby Fisher in a number of years. It still holds up. What a nice movie!

Saw Hotel Artemis and The Old Guard over the weekend. Hotel Artemis was quirky and weird, but I liked it. The Old Guard was not great cinema, but it was still fun to watch.

Something about The Old Guard was off, but I can’t quite figure out what it was. I think maybe it was the overall donk factor of the main villain. He reminded me of Tucker from There’s Something About Mary. Like why the hell would a bunch of immortals be in any way threatened by this guy, regardless of his corporate wealth, etc.

I assume they were trying to keep costs down by not casting anyone famous, but that role would’ve benefitted greatly by casting someone with some gravitas - a Diego Luna or Tim Roth type. Hell, that guy could’ve swapped roles with Chiwetel Ejiofor and it would’ve been better.

The Mrs. is on a girls' trip this weekend, which means that if the kids actually sleep, I get to watch movies. You can basically assume that I have not seen any blockbuster movies aside from the Joker and the recent marvel flick at any point over the last 6 years. What recommendations do you have?

I finally got around to watching Uncut Gems and I’m still not sure how I feel about it.

The whole movie was just so tense. I thought Sandler was great though.

Back