• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tax Question

MysteryMen

Scott "Rufio" Feather
Reaction score
Hoping one of the Calloway grads on here can help me with this tax question.

I work as a 1099 independent contractor and a lot of my jobs take me out of state. While at the job, the customer usually provides a hotel room and some meals, but I am on my own for many meals as well. Can I deduct 50% of the expenses for the meals not provided? If so, does it have to be the actual expense or can I use the portion of the IRS per diem rate allotted to those meals?

You can deduct 50% of your meals on Line 24b of Schedule C. It is supposed to be the actual expense, but if you don't have that, a reasonable estimate is probably your best shot.

Mistaken on the per diem rate. You can use the M&IE rates found here. http://www.gsa.gov/portal/category/100000

Last edited:
Well that long running "mystery" of the identity of mystery man is now solved - if it was ever unclear who mystery was in the first place

Back