• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

TSA Precheck

SmooveDeac

Reaction score
Anybody done this? Is it worth it? I just looked at my calendar and realized I have an insane amount of travel coming up - six straight weekends of flying, mostly for work - and I'd really really like to minimize the time I spend at O'Hare.

its awesome

but you may not have it all setup and ready within six weeks from today

but do it anyways for future travel, its worth it even if you only fly like once a year

Sign up for Global Entry. TSA Pre-check is included, $100 for 5 years. It does take some time to get set up though since there's an interview involved, but not that long.

I never applied for Pre-Check but have had it since the program's inception. I've flown over 2M miles on Delta over the last 25 years, so that must be the reason. I agree, it is SO convenient. There are a few airports, DFW comes to mind, where the Pre-Check line is sometimes longer than the regular line. It does move more quickly, though.

How long does it take to get signed up for the basic pre-check?

having done it recently, I feel like it was at least a month. Sent in some application, it takes as few weeks to run the background check then a few weeks to schedule your "interview" which is pretty much just someone who asks you to confirm that the answers on your application are true and takes your finger prints. The "interview" itself was maybe 20 minutes

having done it recently, I feel like it was at least a month. Sent in some application, it takes as few weeks to run the background check then a few weeks to schedule your "interview" which is pretty much just someone who asks you to confirm that the answers on your application are true and takes your finger prints. The "interview" itself was maybe 20 minutes

Meh, I did mine this summer and was approved in less than 10 days. I filled out the pre-application and went in for fingerprints on the same day; had my approval back the following week.

well...i guess part of the problem for me was scheduling the interview....I had to go to Johnson City, TN or Greenville, SC as there weren't any "interview" locations in Asheville...and of course they would only schedule interviews during business hours so I had to kind of plan around work.

Httd and I randomly got to go through precheck when flying recently and it was awesome. I didn't look in to it after that, though. Didn't know it was something you could apply & pay for!

And if you ever fly internationally, global entry is the shit even better than pre-check

I completed the application online last week of July for an appointment in Greensboro. Took first date available - late August, Friday before Labor Day. When I checked my application status a couple of days after Labor Day I had my "Known Traveler Number." So start to finish, about a month. You can add your KTN# to existing itineraries.

If you don't want to make an appointment check to see whether some of the airports you are flying into/out of have a TSA Precheck application site in a terminal. La Guardia did on an afternoon I was there but I didn't have my passport with me (you'll need it - only form of ID necessary if you have one).

For those of us in the Triad, the GSO TSA precheck office is a sad, sad place. It's in some office park well up Wendover. The office runs trucker background checks and other drug testing as well. Ants crawling all over the place, tiny waiting room, delays ... just depressing.

Anybody done this? Is it worth it? I just looked at my calendar and realized I have an insane amount of travel coming up - six straight weekends of flying, mostly for work - and I'd really really like to minimize the time I spend at O'Hare.

I never applied for Pre-Check but have had it since the program's inception. I've flown over 2M miles on Delta over the last 25 years, so that must be the reason. I agree, it is SO convenient. There are a few airports, DFW comes to mind, where the Pre-Check line is sometimes longer than the regular line. It does move more quickly, though.

Never applied for it, but was routed through there twice last week. Didn't have to take liquids out and kept shoes and belt on.

well...i guess part of the problem for me was scheduling the interview....I had to go to Johnson City, TN or Greenville, SC as there weren't any "interview" locations in Asheville...and of course they would only schedule interviews during business hours so I had to kind of plan around work.

So you've got to take time to submit the application, drive somewhere, conduct an interview, and get fingerprinted? That seems like it would take a few hours all-in. Unless you are flying a few times a month, I don't see how you'd make up that time just by not having to go through the TSA line.

Go to Charlotte-Douglas and do the entire Global Entry. Well worth it and lasts for 5 years.

So you've got to take time to submit the application, drive somewhere, conduct an interview, and get fingerprinted? That seems like it would take a few hours all-in. Unless you are flying a few times a month, I don't see how you'd make up that time just by not having to go through the TSA line.

Well, I have business in NE TN, I just had to get it scheduled so I could piggyback the interview....but it's not necessarily a pure time saver as much as it's a headache saver. A few hours up front are worth it for the few inevitable times that I'm cutting it close on making a flight home and can save 5-10 minutes in security. Missing flights means missing my connection which usually means staying the night somewhere or not getting home until midnight....so if it helps me make a close flight once or twice then it's well worth it.

Global Entry is the shit. Through customs in 90 seconds, saves valuable time when coming through JFK, LAX, MIA, ATL.

Sold. I'm going to try and do a walk-in appointment this week or next. Seriously, security at O'Hare is never shorter than half an hour, so even if I have to hang out for a couple of hours, I'll come out ahead.

Reviving this thread - anyone do Global Entry recently? I am considering it, but I have heard the wait times have become insanely long for approval. Not sure if it's worth starting the process now or waiting to see if the queue clears at all.

Back