Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuck yeah, Science!

Resident Astrophysicist
    Blog Entries
    2,800,000,000 years from now

Earth's surface temperature, even at the poles, reaches an average of ~420 K (147 C, 296 F). At this point life, now reduced to unicellular colonies in isolated, scattered microenvironments such as high-altitude lakes or subsurface caves, will completely die out.

Resident Astrophysicist
    Blog Entries
    3,000,000,000 years from now

Median point at which the Moon's increasing distance from the Earth lessens its stabilising effect on the Earth's axial tilt. As a consequence, Earth's true polar wander becomes chaotic and extreme.

Geez TW, seems like your posts should be on the "fuck you" thread, not this one.

Resident Astrophysicist
    Blog Entries
    No way. Definitely fuck yeah because we can actually approximate this stuff.

Resident Astrophysicist
    Blog Entries
    And it's just awesome to think about the earth in 3 billion years.

I know townie is watching, so I'll be brief, but does it bother you that these approximations are unfalsifiable, at least in our lifetimes?

Resident Astrophysicist
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
    I know townie is watching, so I'll be brief, but does it bother you that these approximations are unfalsifiable, at least in our lifetimes?
    Not at all. They are estimates backed by the best information we have available. Are you implying that they are less valuable because they are not observable in our lifetimes?

I think one of the best things about science is that many of our best findings come from being wrong. Being wrong can be a great thing. Obviously we won't ever know if those approximations are incorrect, but it would be really exciting to know if they are.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Quote Originally Posted by TWDeac View Post
    And it's just awesome to think about the earth in 3 billion years.
    Some men just want to watch the world cool to levels that will eradicate all but the most resilient life forms.

Resident Astrophysicist
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Some men just want to watch the world cool to levels that will eradicate all but the most resilient life forms.
    Science will give us the chance to change that story on other planets, around other stars. As long as we pull out heads from our collective asses by then. I really wish I could live long enough to see what happens.

Never Murdered My FIL
    Science will give us the chance to change that story on other planets, around other stars. As long as we pull out heads from our collective asses by then. I really wish I could live long enough to see what happens.
    Really SCIENCE just needs to CUT THE SHIT, and focus on the important task of CLONING some god damn DINOSAURS!

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    We won't pull our heads our if our collective asses.

Resident Astrophysicist
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
    Really SCIENCE just needs to CUT THE SHIT, and focus on the important task of CLONING some god damn DINOSAURS!
    Let's start with a mammoth first. I'm cautiously optimistic that we will discover a way to get whole DNA from dinosaurs but it might be a long way off.

Never Murdered My FIL
    Let's start with a mammoth first. I'm cautiously optimistic that we will discover a way to get whole DNA from dinosaurs but it might be a long way off.
    Well maybe we should stop DICKING AROUND with mammoths. We can just sprinkle some god damn romaine on elephants and BOOM mammoths. What the fuck are we even doing here, SCIENCE?!?! When Jurassic Park came out, that was your cue to DROP EVERYTHING and focus on the task at hand. It's a shame the Jews killed JFK, because he would have gotten RESULTS.

Not at all. They are estimates backed by the best information we have available. Are you implying that they are less valuable because they are not observable in our lifetimes?
    Yes. Seems like a fool's errand considering (1) we have unsolved problems that are affecting us today and our children tomorrow and (2) the information is going to change so dramatically between now and then that these prognostications are effectively useless.

Resident Astrophysicist
    Blog Entries
    Yes. Seems like a fool's errand considering (1) we have unsolved problems that are affecting us today and our children tomorrow and (2) the information is going to change so dramatically between now and then that these prognostications are effectively useless.
    I guess it's a good thing that we aren't all futurists, right? Thanks for your opinion Junebug. Off to the other thread with you now.

Bernie Eskimo Bro
    I'm beyond excited about the prospect of bringing back* the passenger pigeon. To me, their story is heartbreaking. I get shivers reading stuff like this and thinking about what else we could potentially do: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...imals-species/

Resident Astrophysicist
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KickballDeac View Post
    I'm beyond excited about the prospect of bringing back* the passenger pigeon. To me, their story is heartbreaking. I get shivers reading stuff like this and thinking about what else we could potentially do: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...imals-species/
    It is going to be an exciting couple of decades. I can't wait for this stuff. Especially mammoths(sorry df07)

I guess it's a good thing that we aren't all futurists, right? Thanks for your opinion Junebug. Off to the other thread with you now.
    K. Hugs.

I disagree with you
    junebug, do you believe it when Wake wins and you can't watch the game on tv or in person?