• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fuck yeah, Science!

2,800,000,000 years from now

Earth's surface temperature, even at the poles, reaches an average of ~420 K (147 °C, 296 °F). At this point life, now reduced to unicellular colonies in isolated, scattered microenvironments such as high-altitude lakes or subsurface caves, will completely die out.

3,000,000,000 years from now

Median point at which the Moon's increasing distance from the Earth lessens its stabilising effect on the Earth's axial tilt. As a consequence, Earth's true polar wander becomes chaotic and extreme.

No way. Definitely fuck yeah because we can actually approximate this stuff.

And it's just awesome to think about the earth in 3 billion years.

I know townie is watching, so I'll be brief, but does it bother you that these approximations are unfalsifiable, at least in our lifetimes?

I know townie is watching, so I'll be brief, but does it bother you that these approximations are unfalsifiable, at least in our lifetimes?

Not at all. They are estimates backed by the best information we have available. Are you implying that they are less valuable because they are not observable in our lifetimes?

I think one of the best things about science is that many of our best findings come from being wrong. Being wrong can be a great thing. Obviously we won't ever know if those approximations are incorrect, but it would be really exciting to know if they are.

Some men just want to watch the world cool to levels that will eradicate all but the most resilient life forms.

Science will give us the chance to change that story on other planets, around other stars. As long as we pull out heads from our collective asses by then. I really wish I could live long enough to see what happens.

Science will give us the chance to change that story on other planets, around other stars. As long as we pull out heads from our collective asses by then. I really wish I could live long enough to see what happens.

Really SCIENCE just needs to CUT THE SHIT, and focus on the important task of CLONING some god damn DINOSAURS!

We won't pull our heads our if our collective asses.

Really SCIENCE just needs to CUT THE SHIT, and focus on the important task of CLONING some god damn DINOSAURS!

Let's start with a mammoth first. I'm cautiously optimistic that we will discover a way to get whole DNA from dinosaurs but it might be a long way off.

Let's start with a mammoth first. I'm cautiously optimistic that we will discover a way to get whole DNA from dinosaurs but it might be a long way off.

Well maybe we should stop DICKING AROUND with mammoths. We can just sprinkle some god damn romaine on elephants and BOOM mammoths. What the fuck are we even doing here, SCIENCE?!?! When Jurassic Park came out, that was your cue to DROP EVERYTHING and focus on the task at hand. It's a shame the Jews killed JFK, because he would have gotten RESULTS.

Not at all. They are estimates backed by the best information we have available. Are you implying that they are less valuable because they are not observable in our lifetimes?

Yes. Seems like a fool's errand considering (1) we have unsolved problems that are affecting us today and our children tomorrow and (2) the information is going to change so dramatically between now and then that these prognostications are effectively useless.

Yes. Seems like a fool's errand considering (1) we have unsolved problems that are affecting us today and our children tomorrow and (2) the information is going to change so dramatically between now and then that these prognostications are effectively useless.

I guess it's a good thing that we aren't all futurists, right? Thanks for your opinion Junebug. Off to the other thread with you now.

junebug, do you believe it when Wake wins and you can't watch the game on tv or in person?

Back