• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fuck yeah, Science!

"One of the scientists told me it takes a killer to kill a killer,"

Danny-Trejo-Desperado.jpg

Cure for MRSA found in ancient Anglo Saxon medicine book.

The title is a bit disingenuous -- we've always known that these remedies existed, but previous attempts to prepare them have proven unsuccessful. The scientists in this case seem to have been a lot more methodical. Still pretty sweet though.

The 'eyesalve' recipe calls for two species of Allium (garlic and onion or leek), wine and oxgall (bile from a cow’s stomach).
It describes a very specific method of making the topical solution including the use of a brass vessel to brew it, a strainer to purify it and an instruction to leave the mixture for nine days before use.

I always wonder how they come up with a recipe like that, and what they tried before.

Report on 60 minutes yesterday about using a form of the polio virus the kill cancer.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/using-polio-to-kill-cancer-60-minutes/

Apparently infecting the cancer with the polio virus makes the body realize that the cancer is not "good self" and the immune system should attack. Normally the body's immune system doesn't attack cancer because the cancer presents as "self" that should not be attacked.

Fascinating, and a really new angle on attacking cancer - getting the immune system to recognize the cancer cells as "not self" and have it attack.

I thought that segment was very, very interesting. I've got a friend (WFU grad) that does similar research to what they are describing - he wasn't in the segment but I've been meaning to ask if he works alongside those doctors that were featured.

Drop a basketball from a height, you've got a few flights of stairs to descend to retrieve it and you might even owe an apology to an angry passer-by.

But if you give it enough height and add a dash of backspin, you can watch it say GOODBYE, FRIEND as it curves a great distance away from its intended flight path.

This is the Magnus effect, where the descending, spinning basketball drags air around it, forming areas of lower pressure and high pressure, causing it to swerve away.

2tuCCmO.gif

Drop a basketball from a height, you've got a few flights of stairs to descend to retrieve it and you might even owe an apology to an angry passer-by.

But if you give it enough height and add a dash of backspin, you can watch it say GOODBYE, FRIEND as it curves a great distance away from its intended flight path.

This is the Magnus effect, where the descending, spinning basketball drags air around it, forming areas of lower pressure and high pressure, causing it to swerve away.

2tuCCmO.gif

^ This is Deandre's excuse.

That's real interesting. I never appreciated the destructive nature of deer. So, deer hunters and wolves, I thank you.

Back