• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fuck yeah, Science!

She was also brave enough to stand up to Myriad Genetics when they had a patent on BRCA1. She refused to stop doing her research and risked potential lawsuits in order to continue to enhance our understanding of the molecular mechanisms underlying breast cancer susceptibility. If Myriad had their way, nobody would have understood much of anything about how BRCA1/2 work and it would just be an expensive test that they could run on people and make lots of money doing it. Thankfully the USSC got that one right and struck down the patent held by Myriad

Considered starting a thread...Fuck yea, nature!

But I'll just put this here. The research referenced is cool enough (fitting mantises with tiny 3D glasses, etc), but the real amazing thing is the damn mantis.

Birds Beware: The Praying Mantis Wants Your Brain

Apologies to birdman and warning: gruesome photo contained herein.

Considered starting a thread...Fuck yea, nature!

But I'll just put this here. The research referenced is cool enough (fitting mantises with tiny 3D glasses, etc), but the real amazing thing is the damn mantis.

Birds Beware: The Praying Mantis Wants Your Brain

Apologies to birdman and warning: gruesome photo contained herein.

No apologies necessary. I appreciate good tooth and claw nature as much as anyone.

If robots start posting their WODs on social media, they have truly defeated us.

Uh oh.

Our solar system. Well...we've just been, umm, visited (dare I say penetrated) by a very bizarre and extremely elongated asteroid: 'Oumuamua.

Astronomers are fascinated.

_98827075_mediaitem98827074.jpg

Flat earth bullshit infuriates me to my core. The fact that people don't think it's a big deal that we allow the proliferation of such stupidity is beyond me.

Physicists excited by discovery of new form of matter, excitonium

IN BRIEF
Many decades ago, scientists theorized the possibility of strange material they called "excitonium." Now, thanks to innovative experimentation, researchers have proven its existence.
NEW MATTER
Researchers at the University of Illinois have announced an exciting finding — the discovery of a new form of matter: excitonium. This material is made up of a kind of boson, a composite particle that could allow the matter to act as a superfluid, superconductor, or even as an insulating electronic crystal.

Physics professor Peter Abbamonte and his team worked together with colleagues at Illinois, University of California, Berkeley, and University of Amsterdam to prove once-and-for-all the existence of this strange and mysterious type of matter that was theorized more than 50 years ago. They described how they detected excitonium in the journal Science.

Excitonium is a condensate made up of excitons, which are what you get when you combine escaped electrons and the “holes” they left. This quirky quantum-mechanical pairing is possible because, in semiconductors, electrons on the edge of one energy level in an atom are able, when excited, to jump into the next energy level, leaving behind a “hole” in the previous level. This hole acts like a positively charged particle, attracting the negatively charged electron that escaped.

https://physics.illinois.edu/news/article/24114

Back