• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden and "Shylock"

id wager that many people have no idea what the fuck 'shylock' refers to, whether it be billy shakes or greedy jews

id wager that many people have no idea what the fuck 'shylock' refers to, whether it be billy shakes or greedy jews

BINGO...and i'd make a wager that more people (by a large margin) think it's negative towards Italians rather than Jews.

Although I know what jh is trying to do here, he is proving the point I'm making to rj.

Words matter or they don't. Be consistent. You wouldn't say nigger, you wouldn't say Oriental, you wouldn't say Redskin to a native American, you shouldn't say Shylock, though apparently you would.

Just be consistent.

If I'm wrong that you'd have this exact line of reasoning for a Republican, I apologize. I don't want to put words in your mouth. I'm suggesting, however, that for someone as sensitive as you to anti-Semitism that you consider that some people do consider the word offensive, and that we should avoid using it in kind.

I'll post this again:

Comparing the N word redskin to Shylock is ludicrous.

I don't use the word, but like Kitchin says, many think of loan sharks not Jews.

My point about Biden is 100% echoed by Abe Foxman.

A major reason is condescending, ass-kissing, pseudo-know-it-all assholes like you. You tell so many that only you know what is right. You are the board's Cliff Clavin.
You're telling me - an observant Jew - that I don't have a right to be offended by a goy using a very common Jewish slur?

Eat shit.

Try growing up in Winston being called a shylock, shyster, and kike, interchangeably and get back to me.

Joe Biden gets passes from the left, but his comments over the years are fucking disgusting and should be inexcusable to everybody in this day and age.

You're telling me - an observant Jew - that I don't have a right to be offended by a goy using a very common Jewish slur?

Eat shit.

Try growing up in Winston being called a shylock, shyster, and kike, interchangeably and get back to me.

Except I grew up about 25 miles from where Biden has lived for the past sixty years. In my experience that term was only used towards loan sharks. I never heard it used to a Jew. I heard all the other terms (and worse) but not that one. It was reserved for Italians.

When I went to Wake, I was one of about a dozen Jews. I heard Jew bastard, kike, Jesus killer and other slurs, but again never was called shylock.

As to Biden, he often gets a pass (like he did from Foxman), because people know his heart and soul. They know what he's done for people who have been discriminated against even when it wasn't fashionable. He shouldn't talk off the cuff.

Comparing the N word redskin to Shylock is ludicrous.

I don't use the word, but like Kitchin says, many think of loan sharks not Jews.

My point about Biden is 100% echoed by Abe Foxman.

If you read Foxman's words and genuinely think that, there's no use continuing this discussion with you. You're completely inconsistent here suggesting we should pay some words mind and others we give a pass.

If you read Foxman's words and genuinely think that, there's no use continuing this discussion with you. You're completely inconsistent here suggesting we should pay some words mind and others we give a pass.

I for one am stunned and amazed by this development.

I'm not inconsistent. I said I don't use the word, but to say that some words aren't infinitely worse than others is also wrong.

Foxman said Biden made a mistake. he said: "He added, “Clearly there was no ill-intent here, but Joe and I agreed that perhaps he needs to bone up on his Shakespeare.”

To paraphrase Shakespeare, "this is much ado about very, very little."

A major reason is condescending, ass-kissing, pseudo-know-it-all assholes like you. You tell so many that only you know what is right. You are the board's Cliff Clavin.

We have ignition...and take off!

Why are people claiming shyster is anti-semetic? It is reserved for a much worse breed of people - lawyers.

There is one person posting on this thread that most of the board would compare to Cliff Clavin.

Except I grew up about 25 miles from where Biden has lived for the past sixty years. In my experience that term was only used towards loan sharks. I never heard it used to a Jew. I heard all the other terms (and worse) but not that one. It was reserved for Italians.

When I went to Wake, I was one of about a dozen Jews. I heard Jew bastard, kike, Jesus killer and other slurs, but again never was called shylock.

As to Biden, he often gets a pass (like he did from Foxman), because people know his heart and soul. They know what he's done for people who have been discriminated against even when it wasn't fashionable. He shouldn't talk off the cuff.

Sounds like Donald Sterling.

Why are people claiming shyster is anti-semetic? It is reserved for a much worse breed of people - lawyers.

Yeah, as the unit's JAG Officer, Shyster was my call sign during our deployment to Bosnia in 1996. Everyone got a kick out of it.

If you go to the wiki on Shylock, over half the page discusses the term in context of antisemitism.

Back