• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

Malcolm Askew (2017) Received 12th Offer from Wake Forest ⚫️��

Wake does seem to be anywhere close on his map. Maybe time can change that.

He's 2016 and talked about his most recent offer and most recent visit. Not concerned based on that. Wish he was visiting tomorrow.

Here is a full rundown on 2016 visitors for today’s game that have been rumored in one place or another. Three four-stars. Four if you count Cornell Powell, who is a 4-star on 247. This is by far the biggest weekend for 2016 recruiting. For those attending the game today (like myself), I could use help confirming who actually attends.

Top Targets
4-star OG Sean Pollard (Pinecrest HS / Southern Pines, NC) – see write-up at post #3 in this thread. #5 overall player in NC for 2016.
3-star QB Chazz Surratt (East Lincoln HS / Denver, NC) - #10 Dual-Threat QB in the nation. #9 overall player in NC for 2016.
3-star WR Cornell Powell (Rose HS / Greenville, NC) - see write-up at post #3 in this thread. #45 WR in the country. #11 overall player in North Carolina. 4-star on 247
4-star QB Dwayne Haskins (The Bullis School / Potomac, MD) - #5 Pro-Style QB in the nation. #62 overall player in the nation for 2016.
4-star DT Sulamain Kamara (Hermitage HS, Richmond, VA) - see write-up at post #3 in this thread. #18 DT in the country. #7 overall player in Virginia for 2016.
3-star QB Jamie Newman (Graham HS / Graham, NC) - #26 overall player in North Carolina for 2016.

Other 2016
Unrated DT Brian Manuel (St. John’s College / Washington, DC) – Teammate of Scottie Washington. 6’3 / 316 (per Rivals).
Unrated DB Adam Smith (Hough HS / Charlotte, NC) – Father went to Wake. Charlotte is biggest offer so far, but he’s talking to a lot of ACC teams. 5’11, so he meets the height requirements.

Last edited:
Here is a full rundown on 2016 visitors for today’s game that have been rumored in one place or another. Three four-stars. Four if you count Cornell Powell, who is a 4-star on 247. This is by far the biggest weekend for 2016 recruiting. For those attending the game today (like myself), I could use help confirming who actually attends.

Top Targets
4-star OG Sean Pollard (Pinecrest HS / Southern Pines, NC) – see write-up at post #3 in this thread. #5 overall player in NC for 2016.
3-star QB Chazz Surratt (East Lincoln HS / Denver, NC) - #10 Dual-Threat QB in the nation. #9 overall player in NC for 2016.
3-star WR Cornell Powell (Rose HS / Greenville, NC) - see write-up at post #3 in this thread. #45 WR in the country. #11 overall player in North Carolina. 4-star on 247
4-star QB Dwayne Haskins (The Bullis School / Potomac, MD) - #5 Pro-Style QB in the nation. #62 overall player in the nation for 2016.
4-star DT Sulamain Kamara (Hermitage HS, Richmond, VA) - see write-up at post #3 in this thread. #18 DT in the country. #7 overall player in Virginia for 2016.
3-star QB Jamie Newman (Graham HS / Graham, NC) - #26 overall player in North Carolina for 2016.

Other 2016
Unrated DT Brian Manuel (St. John’s College / Washington, DC) – Teammate of Scottie Washington. 6’3 / 316 (per Rivals).
Unrated DB Adam Smith (Hough HS / Charlotte, NC) – Father went to Wake. Charlotte is biggest offer so far, but he’s talking to a lot of ACC teams. 5’11, so he meets the height requirements.

Thanks for The report.

Thanks for The report.

Yes, thanks!

I must say again that Wake is making a big mistake by not recruiting Jon Lamot at Eastern Alamance. The kid is a serious athlete and competitor. EA is undefeated and moving into the 3rd round of the 3-A state play-offs largely due to his leadership and will to win. If I am not mistaken he has something close to 1300 yards rushing in addition to his passing yards. He is around 6'2 215. He might not be a power 5 QB but he could play a number of positions. Assuming that his brother is having a good experience at Wake, we should have an inside track.

Sounds like the Kernersville kid who went on to start at Maryland until coaching change and injuries....

Yes, thanks!

I must say again that Wake is making a big mistake by not recruiting Jon Lamot at Eastern Alamance. The kid is a serious athlete and competitor. EA is undefeated and moving into the 3rd round of the 3-A state play-offs largely due to his leadership and will to win. If I am not mistaken he has something close to 1300 yards rushing in addition to his passing yards. He is around 6'2 215. He might not be a power 5 QB but he could play a number of positions. Assuming that his brother is having a good experience at Wake, we should have an inside track.

Who else is recruiting him?

The "we should sign [kid in my backyard]" angle is really fucking annoying. Especially when the kid has Wake ties. You think that hasn't been explored already by the staff?

If he's a Power 5 prospect (which, strangely, you said he is not), he'll get Power 5 offers. Until then, or maybe just before then, I'm happy we're avoiding being the first major offer for yet another unranked, unoffered deep sleeper.

I don't really have any idea how many of the 2016 guys in my post above actually showed up. There weren't any "I had a great time at Wake Forest" tweets from any of them. There weren't even any "I am really cold at the Wake Forest game" tweets. So we will see. I wouldn't really recognize any of these guys if they were sitting right next to me. Oddly enough, I did walk past OL Landon Dickerson, who I wrote-up on post #3 in the thread, and who was wearing a name tag. He hadn't even been a rumored visitor. The skeptic in me thinks that he may have been there to see VT more than Wake Forest.

QB Sonny Abramson committed to UVA. Rivals #11 pro-style QB. He had been one of the bigger 2016 names to visit Wake this past summer.

Oh chill out, RSF. He was just stating an opinion. I agree with him. It is a unique situation since his brother, Ali, is already on the team. The kid is legit good and at the end of the day, he is a pretty sure bet to get a Power 5 offer. Just hope we are the first because, I am of the opinion, that we have the edge over everyone else if we do.

I miss having a rb you were excited to watch every Saturday.

Back