• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

Chris Moore

"I Go To Meet With Coach Cohen From Wake Forest Early In The Morning, Wish Me Luck! ☆★☆"

I made the following changes to the writeups in offensive line Board at post #3 at the beginning of the thread:

Moved Landon Dickerson down from the Big Board to the watch list after Rivals quoted him as saying that he doesn’t pay as much attention to schools that don’t have an engineering program. Since 2 of the 3 schools that have offered him have engineering programs, I took that as effectively saying that he’s not very interested in Wake. We’ll see. The article did say that Wake is trying to get him to visit.

Moved 4-star OT Devery Hamilton up from the watch list (not yet offered by Wake) to watch list (offered by Wake) after he tweeted yesterday that he got an offer. Wake Forest is his 6th Power 5 conference offer. Unfortunately his previous offers include Michigan State and South Carolina along with nearby Maryland. However, I think this is one worth watching. The Wake staff seems to be recruiting a lot of his Gilman teammates (some with offers and some without) and Coach Scheier looks to be the point person as the area recruiter for Baltimore. Maybe he can get Wake into serious contention.

Updated the watch list write-up for Jay Jay McCargo to reflect an offer from Duke. Last year, an offer from Duke often seemed like a cue for our staff to offer as well. I could see that happening as there have been multiple signs that Wake is interested in McCargo.

Updated the watch list writeup for Taleni Suhren to reflect his offer from UNC that he received this weekend. 247 quoted him as saying "It was one I wanted badly, I've known coach (Larry) Fedora and their staff since the eighth grade. It's a blessing." As I noted in the original write-up, I had high hopes for Suhren at one point, but I think this will come down to Duke and UNC (with Duke remaining the favorite).

Added West Rowan OL Hezekiah Banks to the watch list (players without a Wake offer).

Added 3-star OG Mike Carney (Norfolk Christian HS / Norfolk, VA) to the watch list (players without a Wake offer). He is rated the #19 OG in the country by Rivals. Power 5 offers from Rutgers and Virginia.

Last edited:
Detroit King 2016 WR-DB Donnie Corley was offered by #WakeForest.

4-star, Rivals 250 WR from Michigan that has a Michigan State offer, former HS teammates as Michigan State and has been a multiple-times visitor to Michigan State.

If they follow the same pattern as last year, I think we will continue to see offers like this trickle in each week as the staff makes sure that most of the 4-star and 5-star players east of the Mississippi have offers from Wake Forest.

If they follow the same pattern as last year, I think we will continue to see offers like this trickle in each week as the staff makes sure that most of the 4-star and 5-star players east of the Mississippi have offers from Wake Forest.

Do you have a post of the tendencies you've noticed in our coach's recruiting tactics? You mentioned this, plus the one about following a Duke offer above. Anything else we do on a regular basis?

I am sure that they have looked at him given that he is the #14 ranked player in North Carolina in a year that the staff is very N.C.-focused. If I were them I probably wouldn't waste my time. He looks like he is on a fast track to the SEC (already considered a Tennessee-lean, has a Georgia offer and now LSU is getting involved). Even UNC will have to fight like hell to stay involved with him.

From Twitter:

"Richard Merritt
Recieved my 25th offer from wake forest today!!"

25 offers? This recruitment should be a piece of cake. Might as well go ahead and count him as committed :)

Elijah Deveaux will announce his commitment on Friday.

Elijah Deveaux will announce his commitment on Friday.

Heard that the baseball was after him before the football team was. We're in his top 5. Hope the staff is spending some time this week in Charlotte.

Do you have a post of the tendencies you've noticed in our coach's recruiting tactics? You mentioned this, plus the one about following a Duke offer above. Anything else we do on a regular basis?

The best way to answer your question is to provide some observations from the last recruiting cycle. I divided the last cycle into what I refer to as phases below. I am obviously layering in some personal opinions and speculation, so PLEASE take that into consideration (and don’t shoot me for it!). Note that I expect this year to be different from last year. Earlier start. They have the benefit of last July's underclassman camp. Smaller class. New recruiting territory. Opportunity to apply lessons learned from the previous cycle.

Phase 1: Offer most 4-star and 5-star players in the eastern half of the country (January to March 2014)
This seems like a low-cost, potentially high-reward process. Chances may not be high that 4-star and 5-star guys will show interest or visit Wake Forest on their own, but those chances are zero if they don’t have an offer. So a verbal offer gets thrown out. In my opinion, these offers seem “safe” from the standpoint that the players have been vetted in camps and presumably by the coaching staffs of schools that have already offered. And the time investment involved may not be as high as you might think. I am not sure whether or not this process started the relationship with Quarvez Boulware. Other than potentially Quarvez, it doesn’t look like this process yielded any return last year.

Phase 2: Identify and offer your top (realistic) 3-star targets, begin to develop relationships with them early, and encourage them to attend Junior Day (January to March 2014)
This phase had some things that worked well and some things that didn’t, but the net result was REALLY positive and the foundation for the top portion of the class was built here.

What worked well: When the staff got after a recruit early the results were often really good. Junior Day was a HUGE success in my opinion because it established a bond with future commits T.J. Haney, Dionte Austin, Paris Black, Amari Henderson (technically spring game visit, not Junior Day) and Lee Autry. Some other notable names that attended were JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Lawrence Cager and Kengera Daniel. However, it should be noted that this phase was also successful because the staff got a little more aggressive in making early offers further down the ratings scale (presumably) after they had established their own comfort level with specific recruits by spending time with them during the visit.

What didn’t work well: Here is where the interesting discussion comes because it involves the question of recruiting territory. One side of the debate would point to the fact that a number of top targets were identified in Texas, and the results were not good. Critical time and effort were invested in these recruits. Then they didn’t come to Junior Day. Then they didn’t visit after the school year. Then they committed to other schools. Not good. However, the other side of the debate would point out that this phase also laid the groundwork for eventual commits Jake Bargas and Steven Claude (two of our highest rated recruits that were offered very early in the process and also were not able to travel to events like Junior Day).

Phase 3: Make in-person offers during spring evaluation period (April 15 – May 31)
I honestly don’t know what happened here. I would love to be able to get some insight from the staff on this topic. Here is what I do know, the staff hit the road for 5-6 consecutive weeks and made a TON of offers. Those offers were more aggressive and went further down the ratings scale (i.e. a lot of “lower” 3-stars). My PERCEPTION was that some of the offers chased behind offers from certain other schools. For example, I wrote at the time about a player in South Carolina that we offered the day after a report that he had been offered by Stanford. The Stanford offer report later turned out to be bogus. In reality, the timing of our offer could have been coincidental. However, it also could have been that the staff had evaluated and liked certain recruits, but didn’t want to be the first to offer for whatever reason (?!).

This phase should have put in place backup plans in case we didn’t land our top targets, but in many cases that didn’t materialize. In a few cases it worked that way (Justin Strnad, Chris Calhoun and ultimately Scotty Washington). But in a number of other cases the backup plan clearly became the Clawson camp as opposed to the many, many offers made here. Why was that? Geography was probably a factor here again (i.e. more Texas offers). Maybe there were some academic issues with the offerees? Or buyer’s remorse (i.e. further evaluation left the staff unenthused)? Or they couldn’t get traction with these recruits without having developed relationships earlier? Maybe the staff wanted to make sure that they had a lot of scholarships available for Clawson camp? Whatever the reason, not a lot came out of the offers made during this time. Relatively few visits. Relatively few commits. Interestingly, a number of the recruits offered during this period remain uncommitted today. The lack of a “middle layer” of commits from this phase is why our class has relatively distinct top and bottom groups from a ratings perspective.

Phase IV: The Clawson Camp
Here is where the staff got SUPER-AGGRESSIVE with offers if a recruit met their height/weight requirements for a position and did well in the combine tests. They were not afraid to offer recruits with less than impressive film, offer lists, or ratings. They obviously place a high value on the in-person evals that they get through this process. This phase would ultimately lead to commits from under the radar guys like Andrew Rector, Phil Haynes, Jake Benzinger, Christian Matthew, Alex Bachman and Nate Mays. It should also be noted that Dior Johnson came through this process. He was on a tour of camps in North Carolina that his coaches organized and is an obvious exception to some of the statements above.

Last edited:
Looks like Wake offered 2016 DE Keith Simms from Bethesda, MD. Not yet rated on Rivals. His offer list doesn't look as intimidating as some others. 9 Power Five offers (including Wake). His headliners are UNC, Illinois, Iowa and West Virginia. Also seems to be a key target for home state Maryland.

Elijah Deveaux's Crystal Ball on 247 seems to be trending in favor of Duke. 5 votes for Duke and 2 for Pitt right now.

Wake offered 3-star RB Malik Staples (Suwanee, GA) today. Only other Power 5 offers are Boston College and Georgia Tech. He looks like a reasonably realistic option so I will add him to the Big Board when I get some time. It continues to be notable how aggressive the staff has been in offering RBs (you can tell that from looking at the Big Board on the 1st page of the thread - and it's not even done yet).

Staff proving me wrong on some earlier comments that they don't offer before other schools. Wake's offer to 2016 Martin Mangram (Buford, GA) is his first offer. I like to see the staff stick their necks out early when they like a guy.

From the looks of all of the Georgia offers today it looks like Coach Cohen must have made the trip down there for the day.

Back