• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

2016 FB Recruiting: Watching for Syracuse Game Visitors

What exactly is a non-commitable offer? Sounds like double-talk.

I have come to think of it as similar to a "first interest note" in Wake Forest society/sorority rush. Assuming it still works that way for the women (??). Felt like throwing out some Wake nostalgia tonight.

Some percentage of offers that are made by schools are "non-committable" meaning that the school would not allow the recruit to accept the offer. At least not yet. The largest percentage of non-committable offers are typically given in the spring evaluation period (April/May) when schools are setting up their backup plans. For example, a school might offer 5 RBs but decide that it would only accept a commitment at that time from their top 2 RBs. It's lunacy, and frankly pretty confusing for recruits (from what I can tell).

A week or so ago there was a story about a recruit from N.C. named Houshun Gaines that had a non-committable offer from Florida. He started communicating through social media with someone pretending to be his position coach at UF. The imposter convinced Gaines that his offer was committable. Gaines announced his commitment to Florida. Florida then rejected his commitment (saying he could not commit on his offer).

It's how Louisville can offer over 350 kids. It's crazy. And confusing. And sorely in need of reform.

Last edited:
Is it simply a coaching staff telling a recruit they're interested?

I have come to think of it as similar to a "first interest note" in Wake Forest society/sorority rush. Assuming it still works that way for the women (??). Felt like throwing out some Wake nostalgia tonight.

Some percentage of offers that are made by schools are "non-committable" meaning that the school would not allow the recruit to accept the offer. At least not yet. The largest percentage of non-committable offers are typically given in the spring evaluation period (April/May) when schools are setting up their backup plans. For example, a school might offer 5 RBs but decide that it would only accept a commitment at that time from their top 2 RBs. It's lunacy, and frankly pretty confusing for recruits (from what I can tell).

A week or so ago there was a story about a recruit from N.C. named Houshun Gaines that had a non-committable offer from Florida. He started communicating through social media with someone pretending to be his position coach at UF. The imposter convinced Gaines that his offer was committable. Gaines announced his commitment to Florida. Florida then rejected his commitment (saying he could not commit on his offer).

It's how Louisville can offer over 350 kids. It's crazy. And confusing. And sorely in need of reform.

Thanks. That sounds worse than a "preferred walk-on" invitation.

While it is a bit silly and confusing to fans, I think in most cases the schools are communicating the offers are non-committable or conditional to recruits and they know where they stand.

While it is a bit silly and confusing to fans, I think in most cases the schools are communicating the offers are non-committable or conditional to recruits and they know where they stand.

I agree that the vast majority of cases the recruits must know where they stand. But sometimes there are misunderstandings. Somebody posted in the 2015 thread about Trai Sharp committing to NC State, and N.C. State subsequently rejecting it. Then there was the Houshun Gaines thing with Florida that I posted above.

Here is a quote from an article on 2016 OT Landon Dickerson “I’m not quite sure, but I called a coach from Wake Forest and I think he tried to tell me there was an offer there but they are not ready for a commitment yet, but I might have misunderstood him."

More than anything though, I just think that the whole idea of a non-committable offer is just silly.

Agreed, it's an oxymoron and just lends itself to confusion. If you can't accept, it's not an "offer." Just a statement of interest.

Some notes on 2016 recruiting:

So far I have only come across one 2016 recruit from either the Big Board or the Watch List that will be attending the Syracuse game. I expect that more 2016 visitors will be tweeting on game day though. The visitor is Watch List WR Samuel Denmark from Hanahan, SC. Virginia Tech has offered. He has taken unofficial visits this fall for games at Notre Dame and Clemson. It sounds like he got the full treatment at Notre Dame, including joining the team for the player walk into the stadium. So I think that the lack of a Rivals rating at this point is misleading. He is going to be a relatively high-end recruit.

Some of you may be wondering why there is already so much activity at the RB position as opposed to the offensive line. I am not sure what the exact reason is, but it probably has something to do with the fact that the majority of the most notable recruiting activity so far for the 2016 class has been in North Carolina, and it looks like a pretty weak crop of OLs in the state for 2016. Rivals cut-off their in-state rankings at 28 players at this point (which probably means they think there is a talent drop-off there). They only included two OLs in the top 28: Sean Pollard and Taleni Suhren. I consider both Pollard and Suhren to be strong Duke-leans. In a post-commitment interview, Elijah Deveaux said that he was going to team up with fellow Duke commit (and Rivals 100 member) WR Scott Bracey to close the deal with 3 specific players, which included both Pollard and Suhren. I expect that Wake, N.C. State and UNC will all have to look out of state if they want a high-end OL in the 2016 class.

One OL that I was pretty optimistic about when I put him on the Watch List was Jay Jay McCargo (Arlington, VA). When I put him on the Watch List he only had offers from ODU, Rhode Island and Temple. Then when Duke stuck their neck out with an offer I posted that I thought that Wake Forest would immediately follow Duke. Wake didn’t follow (yet), but within an 8-day span after the Duke offer he did get offers from Clemson, West Virginia and Boston College. It’s funny how that first Power 5 offer can get the ball rolling. A recent article says that McCargo visited Wake unofficially this summer and plans to visit again after the season.

Key 2016 target Moe Neal made the trip up to Syracuse last weekend to make an unofficial visit for the Syracuse-FSU game.

Last edited:
Can we nominate Deac94 for Poster of the Year? He shouldn't even have competition. Dude is just DOIN WORK.

Why do you think we haven't offered McCargo? Just being really selective with our small class?

Post #3 on this thread has been updated with the following info:

Big Board RB Cade Carney told Scout that Wake Forest and Georgia Tech are the “top two schools recruiting me”. I think that in this case he meant they are recruiting him the hardest, but either way it shows that we are heavily involved with the Mocksville RB. It is even more notable when you consider that he has already visited N.C. State and ECU this fall, but didn’t put them in his “top schools”. He visited Georgia Tech last weekend for the GT-Duke game.

Big Board RB Jordon Brown told Scout that Wake, UNC and N.C. State are recruiting him the hardest and are the schools standing out the most. He visited N.C. State for the NCSU-FSU game and will be at UNC this weekend. He plans to set up visits to Wake Forest and Virginia Tech (no offer) soon.

Big Board OL Pete Leota visited Clemson (no offer) again last weekend. He has already taken two unofficial visits to Clemson to watch games. He also camped there and attended their spring game. It seems pretty obvious that Clemson will be his leader if they offer. Virginia Tech has stepped up their efforts with Leota and they are trying to get him to travel to Blacksburg for a game.

4-star Watch List OL Devery Hamilton was offered by LSU. That’s my cue to remove him from the list (for now). I will put him back on if mentions Wake in an interview or visits campus. I would like to think we could get involved here because the staff seems to like a lot of his Gilman School teammates, but it is obviously much more likely that his offer list will put him completely out of range.

Posters usually only give rep out whenever someone says something polarizing or degrading to a fellow poster. Sad but true.

900x900px-LL-938e9532_tumblr_mtxdbaknqH1sjb7zro1_400.gif

Can we nominate Deac94 for Poster of the Year? He shouldn't even have competition. Dude is just DOIN WORK.

Thank you Deacfreak and thanks to all that gave me a pos rep yesterday. I felt inspired to post more over the past couple of days after hearing Stan Cotten say during the coaches show how many recruiting questions were coming in. That showed me that there is a lot of interest in recruiting this year. As ridiculous as it may seem I really enjoy the process of collecting and trying to organize all of the info that is available. So if people stay interested I'll keep doing it.

Why do you think we haven't offered McCargo? Just being really selective with our small class?

I really don't have any info on that, but one would think that it either means that 1) the staff likes other guys more, 2) they are waiting for an opportunity to offer him in person, 3) they just haven't gotten around to it yet or 4) they are running low on their supply of verbal, non-committable offers to give out (recruiting joke).

There is probably no rush at this point, if you are not going to be the school that makes offer #1 to a recruit then it probably doesn't matter whether you are offer #2 or #6 or #8.

Big Board RB Cade Carney told Scout that Wake Forest and Georgia Tech are the “top two schools recruiting me”. I think that in this case he meant they are recruiting him the hardest, but either way it shows that we are heavily involved with the Mocksville RB. It is even more notable when you consider that he has already visited N.C. State and ECU this fall, but didn’t put them in his “top schools”. He visited Georgia Tech last weekend for the GT-Duke game.

That is correct. I've heard he wants to take things slowly, take his officials and then decide. Based solely upon the pics I've seen (not online), it would appear UNC is his favorite. He far and away had more pics around UNC during his unofficial than anywhere else, plus he's got family legacy at UNC. Hopefully Claw and Co. will keep up the pressure and can convince him to stay close.

Thank you Deacfreak and thanks to all that gave me a pos rep yesterday. I felt inspired to post more over the past couple of days after hearing Stan Cotten say during the coaches show how many recruiting questions were coming in. That showed me that there is a lot of interest in recruiting this year. As ridiculous as it may seem I really enjoy the process of collecting and trying to organize all of the info that is available. So if people stay interested I'll keep doing it.

It seems like you've been following recruiting for a long time, so you know how welcome this sort of roundup is for Wake fans, especially not to have to pay for it anymore, now a vestige of the past.

Back